+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 61 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Kindle

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Kindle

By the time I get around to buying myself an e-reader, it will finally have settled down and have all of the things that it needs to make me happy. Of course, I will probably be in a nursing home, too.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Do I understand you to mean that it only shows how far percentage-wise in the book you've gone?

On my Nook it has the page numbers and since I have it on the large font setting I can "turn" the page, but it still shows the same page as before. I guess if I had it on regular font size it would be a one page per turn. When I look in my library it says exactly what page out of how many I am on. (eg. 1 of 294, or 51 of 368, etc.) I guess that's a little thing I never thought about being different.

FORT Regular

The more I read about the kindle the less I understand why anyone buys one. The kindle is more expensive then the other e-readers, it does less and seems to have a poorly built system with no options. I just finished read The Lost Symbol and knew exactly what page I was on at all times and when I started reading it I knew it was 462 pages (or something like that).

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;4184685;
    Do I understand you to mean that it only shows how far percentage-wise in the book you've gone?
    On my Nook it has the page numbers and since I have it on the large font setting I can "turn" the page, but it still shows the same page as before. I guess if I had it on regular font size it would be a one page per turn. When I look in my library it says exactly what page out of how many I am on. (eg. 1 of 294, or 51 of 368, etc.) I guess that's a little thing I never thought about being different.
    Yes, that's right. Mine currently only shows me that I am 37% or whatever of the way through the book. I assumed it did that because if I changed the print size obviously that would affect the "page" number, but the system you mention seems good as well. Most of the time it isn't an issue...all I really want to know is if I have to start lining up another book or not....but then I'm reading on a Kindle for fun, not work, where I'd have to do citations. The page # in citations is already an issue for work only available on the internet...if you wanted to quote a blog for example...or something from FORT.
    Today, lunching at my favorite diner, yet another person asked me about my Kindle (actually she asked if it was a Nook, so Nook must be gaining momentum in the common mind--that was a first). I could be wrong but to me she looked to be in her late 80's maybe older--age is no barrier! And the light weight is a real asset as you get more arthritic.

Quote Originally Posted by Snacks;4184795;
    The more I read about the kindle the less I understand why anyone buys one. The kindle is more expensive then the other e-readers, it does less and seems to have a poorly built system with no options. I just finished read The Lost Symbol and knew exactly what page I was on at all times and when I started reading it I knew it was 462 pages (or something like that).
    I don't know if the other e-readers offer this, but Amazon archives all your books. I my Kindle is broken or stolen and I replace it, I still have all 250 books on the new one. I'm a big fan of Amazon, so part of it is loyalty. I would disagree that it is "a poorly built system with no options".
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4185970;
    I don't know if the other e-readers offer this, but Amazon archives all your books. I my Kindle is broken or stolen and I replace it, I still have all 250 books on the new one. I'm a big fan of Amazon, so part of it is loyalty. I would disagree that it is "a poorly built system with no options".
    All of my Nook books are archived at the B&N site. And because I have two Nooks (old and new), all my books are on both because they're both registered to my account. (As soon as I connected my color Nook to our wifi on Christmas, the books were immediately available.)

Most of the Nook books show actual page numbers. As someone said upthread, you can flip several pages before the page number changes. But a couple of ebooks that I got were formatted for the Nook, so the page numbers go from 1 to end (and reflow if I change the font size).

The only time it really gets confusing (for me, anyway) is when I bookmark a page...the first time I went to look for what I'd bookmarked (a recipe inside a novel), the page I went to didn't show the recipe! That was because I had to flip a couple of pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Snacks;4184795;
    The Kindle is actually a very well built system and is quite convenient to use. The wi-fi Kindle 3 is also one of the cheaper e-readers out there right now. You can see a direct comparison of prices and features on the top rated e-readers here:
    eBook Reader 2011 | Compare Best eBook Readers - TopTenREVIEWS

When I was recently researching which e-reader to buy I consistently found the Kindle 3 to get the top rating in the lower price point and the color Nook to get the top rating in the higher price point. I ended up choosing the Kindle 3 mostly because I wanted to avoid an LCD screen and the higher price point (and a little because I had an Amazon gift card to spend ). Also, if I was going to spend enough to buy a color Nook, I would go ahead and spend a little more and get an iPad.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 02-09-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Kiz

I was only interested in getting the best e-reader for reading purposes. The Kindle has a much longer battery life between charges, it's lighter weight and smaller, and I did not want a LCD screen. I just got back from a trip to Aruba, and even in the brightest sun, I could read my Kindle as easily as if it were an actual book. The Nook is a very good too, but I have an iPad for the bells and whistles. I wanted a dedicated e-reader, so that's why I went with Kindle. I hope the Nook does well for those who want color, touch screen, etc, because it's better for the market to have the competition.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4185970;
    yes they do, its not the ereader its the service you buy from. so B&N, Kobo, Amazon whoever lets you put your books from your account on multiple devices and always has a record of your purchases in their library on their site for easy access in case you need to reload them on a new device or whatever!

FORT Regular

The Sharper Image Literati went on sale the other day. Its a basic e-reader with wifi and color. Its basically a cheaper looking version to the Kindle because its only meant to be an e-reader. When they 1st came out they were $199, then went down to around $99-$129. One store had them on sale for $40 the other day just to sell out of their inventory. For a basic e-reader without all the bells and whistles it seems perfect.

+ Reply to Thread