+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 625
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

  1. #21
    FORT Fogey justCoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,987

    Re: Kindle

    Mr.Coz told me about the Kindle earlier this year. A secretary where he works has one and he knows how much I love to read. I have investigated them and know I would love to have one. I don't travel a lot, but it would be nice to have it then, much smaller than the stack I try to take with me! I read all the time and generally have put it in my purse in case I'm waiting somewhere, again, smaller than some of the books I take with me.

    I like that you can make the font bigger. I love the dictionary feature. I'm sold on it, now if I can just get Mr.Coz to buy me one I'll be a happy girl!!

    eta: Not to mention that unless we build more shelves for all my books this would be a good alternative for space saving purposes.
    Last edited by justCoz; 08-27-2009 at 11:50 AM.

  2. #22
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,442

    Re: Kindle

    Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;3680207;
    Mr.Coz told me about the Kindle earlier this year. A secretary where he works has one and he knows how much I love to read. I have investigated them and know I would love to have one. I don't travel a lot, but it would be nice to have it then, much smaller than the stack I try to take with me! I read all the time and generally have put it in my purse in case I'm waiting somewhere, again, smaller than some of the books I take with me.

    I like that you can make the font bigger. I love the dictionary feature. I'm sold on it, now if I can just get Mr.Coz to buy me one I'll be a happy girl!!

    eta: Not to mention that unless we build more shelves for all my books this would be a good alternative for space saving purposes.[/
    That's actually a major good point from my perspective--hadn't thought of that, and my sig. other will really appreciate less clutter!

    Arielflies--an ink allergy!! Yikes,what a disaster... Aren't you glad you live in "modern times"?

  3. #23
    Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    20,399

    Re: Kindle

    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3680436;
    That's actually a major good point from my perspective--hadn't thought of that, and my sig. other will really appreciate less clutter!

    Arielflies--an ink allergy!! Yikes,what a disaster... Aren't you glad you live in "modern times"?
    Most definitely! I had been wanting an electronic reader for years, but the ones I researched were all so clunky. I was very excited when Amazon came out with their product, plus the list of titles, while not always what I'm looking for, is extensive.

    Now to find a way to de-clutter all those paperbacks out of my life.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  4. #24
    Best Buddies Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nap Time
    Posts
    13,238

    Re: Kindle

    Count your blessings!

  5. #25
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,329

    Re: Kindle

    Read an article from the Wall Street Journal yesterday that compared the Kindle to the Sony reader. Sony did not sell me on their product yet (plus it's more expensive, by $100), but they have more sources for books than Kindle....not that I'd need more sources.

    Gut, can you use Kindle to check out library e-books until the loan period is up?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  6. #26
    Best Buddies Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nap Time
    Posts
    13,238

    Re: Kindle

    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3681954;
    Gut, can you use Kindle to check out library e-books until the loan period is up?
    I'm stumped. I don't even know what library e-books are! How do you usually access them? On your computer?
    Count your blessings!

  7. #27
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,329

    Re: Kindle

    Just talked to my library, and they said that they do Net books which, if I understand it correctly, can be downloaded to your computer and is an audiobook? They said that they are not doing e-books yet.

    Here's the article that I read: Sony Opens New Chapter in Rivalry With Amazon Over E-Book Readers - WSJ.com
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  8. #28
    Go Teams! inthegarden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,359

    Re: Kindle

    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3681966;
    I'm stumped. I don't even know what library e-books are! How do you usually access them? On your computer?
    You can visit your local library's website and see if they have a Library Virtual Branch. If they do, you can check out e-books and download them to your computer, then at the end of the checkout period the books, music or video will automatically expire. When you check your e-book out , it tells you if you can download to a portable device, burn a CD, etc. You will have to download free software from your library's website to enable you to download the e-books. I'm not sure if you can use it with your Kindle.

  9. #29
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,329

    Re: Kindle

    My library said that they cannot download to Kindle. Yet.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  10. #30
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,146

    Re: Kindle

    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3682014;
    My library said that they cannot download to Kindle. Yet.
    I'm on the board at my local library, which is part of a major metropolitan area. All you can do, at this time, is browse. You can not actually download to a computer or a Kindle.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.