+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 63 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

Re: Kindle

I now have a solar powered battery charger that charges anything with a USB connection. I haven't tried it with my nook, but have successfully charged my gps, my mp3 player and my phone. I don't have a functioning lighter in my car, so this was purchased mainly to charge my gps, but has proven in just one month (Christmas present) to be one of the best things my husband ever got me. I never even thought about it working during a power outage, which considering what we went through I'm surprised it didn't cross my mind. We were lucky in that we were without power for "only" 5 days. My BIL/SIL were without for 3 weeks.

I know what you mean about riding around in the car to charge phones. During our ice storm 4 years ago we used to do the same thing. Actually we had a inverter that we plugged a power strip into and charged a few phones at a time on it. Also helpful was that my husband's work was the same block as the utilities, of course they were never without power there!

I can tell I need sleep because I'm pretty sure I could reword this post to have it flow better, but can't figure out how to do that.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Showing my total ignorance, but is that what a Kindle has? A usb connection? It has a tiny multi pronged thing in the Kindle and then that plugs into the wall. My cell phone charger is similar. Could those be charged on your solar charger? If so think I am going to ask for one for Valentine's Day!

Yes, you can plug it into your computer to download music and documents.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4171924;
    Showing my total ignorance, but is that what a Kindle has? A usb connection? It has a tiny multi pronged thing in the Kindle and then that plugs into the wall. My cell phone charger is similar. Could those be charged on your solar charger? If so think I am going to ask for one for Valentine's Day!
    Gutmutter says it has a USB, so it must! I have a nook and it fits into the charger. I haven't tried charging it that way yet, but charged all those other items, so I'm guessing it will charge it right now. The solar charger also has a cable to charge it through electricity. I have it plugged in right now, since I just heard that we might have a bad ice storm here. Not sure how much sun will get through, but at least my charger will be ready for charging something!

I had to get a cable for my gps since it didn't come with one (weird I thought, I didn't pick out that gps, but it was a gift so I'm thankful). I ended up getting a 'Retractable USB 2.0 Kit'. It has 5 different USB adapters. It adapts different connecters and turns them into USB ports so it can be plugged into a computer. It comes with USB B, USB Micro 8-pin, USB 5-pin mini B, USB Micro 5-pin, USB A and a USB A Extension. (a cord that makes the connection expandable). IIRC this kit was only necessary for me since I didn't have a cable for my gps. As long as the Kindle has a USB connection I don't think you'd need the adapter.

So far I successfully charged my gps, my cell phone and my mp3 player on the solar charger. I just plugged my Nook into it, so I'll let you know if that works or not. The charger is nice because it's portable. I forgot to charge my mp3 player which I use when I'm working. Of course I noticed that about 10 minutes before I had to leave. I plugged it into the charger and could do that while I traveled in the car.

If you have any other questions I'll be happy to answer them as best I know, provided we have electricity!

Bad news is that the solar charger didn't appear to charge my nook.

Sorry... I could be wrong. I know you can download music from your computer onto the Kindle, and my wall plug is a 2-part thing that you can pull apart and put into your computer. Is that not what USB means? I'm remembering now that if you want to download documents onto your computer it has to be reformatted through amazon (I could be saying that wrong - I'm not the most computer-savvy person here).
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4174321;
    Sorry... I could be wrong. I know you can download music from your computer onto the Kindle, and my wall plug is a 2-part thing that you can pull apart and put into your computer. Is that not what USB means? I'm remembering now that if you want to download documents onto your computer it has to be reformatted through amazon (I could be saying that wrong - I'm not the most computer-savvy person here).
    Technically, USB is the flat connector for plugging a device into your laptop. Most electronic devices these days have those two-part plugs so that you can choose the charging method that works best for you. (Note that it's good to always use the electric plug once in awhile, plus it's usually quicker when recharging the device.)

I've never seen a Kindle connector, but both of my Nooks have the two-part plugs.

Kindle uses DRM (digital rights management), so it makes sense that documents need to be reformatted or something through Amazon. The Nook doesn't...I can read/play/listen to just about everything on my color Nook (.doc, .pdf, .mp3, etc.) just by pulling the files from my computer onto the device.

Kiz

Technolog - Kindle books get 'real' page numbers

...A Kindle update soon to hit the newest-generation Wi-Fi and 3G models will grant books with "real" page numbers, corresponding with pages of popular print editions.

Amazon says they've already started adding the page numbers to the most popular books, assuming they have "matching print editions."...
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

PWS
    FORT Fogey

That's good....I've just joined a book club, and as I started making notes I realized if I wanted other people to find the passage I was talking about it wouldn't help them much to know it was 36% of the way through the book! (Of course that was before I realized that, like most book clubs, it's more about catching up on our lives than the book! ). Anyway, a good idea, although I like the % mark as well.

I think that was smart of them. The issue of how to cite works has come up before.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread