+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 62 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

FORT Regular

Re: Kindle

I remember when Amazon started selling the kindles. I thought to myself no one would spend close to $300 or $400 on something to read books. Well a few years later, better technology and a huge price reduction, bam they are everywhere! .

I love my ereader. I dont have a kindle I have Pandigital Novel 7. Might be the greatest purchase I ever made. They sell for $150-$199 but I got mine at kohls after xmas for $54 total including tax. I went with the Novel because it had wifi, full color, plays videos, music, epubs and pdf books and you can search the web and check email. It even has an android operating system that can be rooted to be an android tablet similar to an ipad (obviously not as fast but 1/10 the price)

Its also connected directly to Barnes and Noble and very easy to buy or get free books. If I root the system I can even use the kindle app and get books from Amazon!

I'm sure if I knew half of the terms you just used, I'd be checking out other, more high-tech e-readers. I just want to read.
    Count your blessings!

Word of mouth is great. I found out my major information from my husband who saw the one the secretary at his school had. He told me how great it was and that was when I started researching them. That was at least 1 1/2 years ago. I took a long time to finally buy one, but I always knew that I would love it.

Kiz

I thought this short article was interesting.

Kindle Books Overtake Paperback Books To Become Amazon’s Most Popular Format

...Last July we reported that Amazon’s Kindle eReader books had surpassed hardcover books in terms of sales, selling 143 Kindle books for every 100 hardcover books. Now that lead also holds for paperbacks as well with 115 Kindle books being sold for every hundred paperbacks.

The statistic for hardcover books itself has doubled, with three times as many Kindle books as sold as paperbacks in 2010. Free Kindle books are excluded from this number or it would be much higher...
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

I wish they had given the statistics with free books included... I bet it's phenomenal!
    Count your blessings!

Nook users who "like" Barnes & Nobel on Facebook: they've shared a 15% off coupon on their Facebook page to celebrate hitting 500K followers.

(I see a new book in my future ;-) )

I love my Kindle, and I love my "old ereader" on my Palm PDA (I have about 40 books on an SD card!). What I dislike most about these gadgets is how they won't share a common format. For example, Kindle is so restricted I can't use any of my other format ebooks on it. So I either have to buy it again or re-read it on another device.

I'm a Kindle junkie, though, because I can read a book in bed and keep my light-sleeping hubby happy. If I really like a book so much I want in my physical library, I can buy it and know it's a "keeper."

Yes, I'm a purist with a small in-home library! Something about turning a "real" page is appealing still.

But I hope that someday there will be peace and love among the ebook reader gods and let us share like good readers should.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I have a stack of "dead tree books" in case there's a prolonged power outage for any reason and I can't recharge my Kindle. Some people stock up on canned food and bottled water for the end of the world. I stock up on books.
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4169323;
    I have a stack of "dead tree books" in case there's a prolonged power outage for any reason and I can't recharge my Kindle. Some people stock up on canned food and bottled water for the end of the world. I stock up on books.
    That's hysterical! Love it, especially as I was always reading by candlelight (not so great on the eyes) during outages. Maybe they will sell little solar rechargers soon so you/I can never go without!

Great idea!!! Get the patent in now! When we had the ice storm two years ago, some people were without power for two weeks or more. My teenaged daughter used to ride around with her friends in their cars to charge her cell phone because she had a charger that plugged into a car's cigarette lighter.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread