+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 64 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Kindle

Saw the Nook on sale for $99 at Borders today.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

So I got my Kindle last week. I really wish I could swap my hardcopy books that I haven't read yet for the Kindle edition!! The screen wasn't quite what I expected. The e-ink look initially struck me as more "low tech" looking after sitting in from of LCD screens for so many years. However, I am very happy I went with an e-ink device because it is very easy on the eyes. I downloaded some freebies that I have wanted to read for sometime and also bought a few books that had been on my wish list for a while. So far I really like it and I definitely think it was a good buy!!

The thing that has surprised me the most is how hit-or-miss it seems to be whether there are significant savings with the Kindle version vs. hardcopy. I had a couple of things on my queue where the kindle version was several dollars cheaper and others where the difference was less than a dollar. I find it annoying when the difference is little to nothing given that I am saving that publisher the expense of printing a physical book.

But average in all the free books and you're still saving a lot. Don't forget you can download the sample for free and if you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. Also, they changed the format of presenting the free options from what was talked about pages and pages ago... now you choose a catagory and the free ones are in a box lower in the screen - not as an option in the upper right screen drop-down box.
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;4147643;
    I've gained a few pounds since I started working again. I started munching on snacks from the vending machines at break. Now I take my Kindle with me and sit in the locker room and read instead of even going into the break room. I'm down 3 lbs! I love my Kindle, too!
    Kindle as diet helper, I love it!

Just back from a sunny, sandy vacation by the sea (to a thermal shock 9 degrees F., with yet more snow on the ground and on the way) where I made great use of my Kindle using the sandwich bag cover suggestion. Ziplock of course to be sure no moisture or sand got in. Great idea, Gut, and you could move all the switches and buttons from outside the cover, as you said, plus it weighed less and took up less space in the beach bag than with the regular cover. Still used the regular cover, with built in light, for the plane flights as have had too many experiences with faulty seat lights on planes---pointed poorly or burned out, so that to read when they turn out the cabin lights I wound up sitting like a contortionist with consequent aches and pains. Also more protection in a travel situation where it might get banged around, but for everyday, give me ziplock!
    I'm now using my ziplock cover in my regular purse for space weight reasons. Not sure how long one "cover" will last, but so far so good, well over a week. I don't normally buy ziplocks, but may have to invest in a box!
    Last edited by PWS; 01-23-2011 at 03:40 PM.

I'm so glad the ziplock is working for you. I can't take credit, though... I read about it in the "discussions" feature on Amazon's Kindle page.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Regular

sandwich bag? I have to try that but I dont think a sandwich bag will fit my Novel 7! Sounds like a good idea though!

I use a freezer bag.
    Count your blessings!

I've been bombarded with questions about my Kindle. Everywhere. On FB, at work, wherever I take it. I should get a commission check! Tonight at work, a friend asked about it. She wants one but was worried that it was more of a hassle than anything. So I let her play with mine. She was amazed and said she was going to order one when she got home! She just found out she's pregnant so I told her it would be great for when she's waiting for her Dr. appointments.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I know, word of mouth must sell a bunch of these things! Someone on a bus let me try hers--I just wanted to see how heavy it was and couldn't believe it. And now whenever anyone asks about mine I pass it to them so they can feel the weight, or lack thereof, and show them the features. I bet Gutmutter is responsible for a good 50 sales or more just from starting this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4160330;
    I know, word of mouth must sell a bunch of these things! Someone on a bus let me try hers--I just wanted to see how heavy it was and couldn't believe it. And now whenever anyone asks about mine I pass it to them so they can feel the weight, or lack thereof, and show them the features. I bet Gutmutter is responsible for a good 50 sales or more just from starting this thread!
    I have to be honest....this thread is what peaked my interest in an e-reader. My father-in-law has one (the first one that came out, I believe) and we had a discussion about it over our Thanksgiving meal. He let me check it out and it was love at first sight... I do like mine better, though. It's the smaller one and it fits perfectly in my purse.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread