+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 64 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Kindle

CCL

Re: Kindle

I don't have a kindle - why do you need a light? Does the screen not have a backlight?
    I always thought skins were just decorative. I didn't know they had a protective function as well. Interesting.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

No, Kindles are not backlit. The paperless ink is one of the selling points. I guess some people get eye strain from back lit screens like computers. So any time you'd need light for a book, you'd need one for a Kindle. I'm assuming this is true for all e-readers. Am I wrong?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4141708;
    No, Kindles are not backlit. The paperless ink is one of the selling points. I guess some people get eye strain from back lit screens like computers. So any time you'd need light for a book, you'd need one for a Kindle. I'm assuming this is true for all e-readers. Am I wrong?
    The color Nook is backlit (it's also LCD, not e-ink like the original Nook).

To me one of the major selling points for the e-ink/non-backlit devices is that they are supposed to be much better for reading outside, which I love to do. The backlit LCD screens have too much glare for outside use.

Thanks for the feedback on covers.

Yeah, the kindle isn't backlit. Something that truly surprised me once I started researching e-readers. Just assumed they would be, and one of the reasons I never looked into one before now. I have a vision disorder that makes reading from a computer screen bothersome for me. I was happy to find out the kindle read more like a book than an lcd screen.

Anyway, I decided to purchse the lighted cover. I read in bed a lot so having a light will be very convenient for me. I researched all the possible combinations of covers, clip-on lights, etc. and decided it was the best and most convenient option for me. I wanted a fitted cover to be able to take the kindle on the go... wanted to be able to just throw it in my purse and not worry. I was leaning towards a plain cover and a clip-on light... but it was nearly the same price when I was all said and done. I won't hesitate to send it back if I'm less than thrilled though. $60 was a lot to swallow. If I don't like it, or it's too bulky/heavy for my taste, I'll get a plain m-edge cover and a separate light.

I finally got my Nook! So far I'm loving it. Of course the day after I bought it they announced Kindle now will have the lending technology, but that's ok.

I knew I would love an eReader and I do. I've had 2 free friday books, and that's a great feature! I love the look-up dictionary feature. Really too much stuff to name.

My MIL who verbally was against it to begin with was much more intrigued by it when she actually saw it. My BIL and I had a very long conversation on Christmas Eve and she hadn't voiced any objections then, so I think she was already becoming more open to them but she was amazed at how easy it was to enlarge the text. That's a feature she unfortunately needs as I think her eyes are getting worse and worse.

I went with the regular Nook as opposed to the NookColor for the e-ink option which I do think will be easier on my eyes. Even in the store I immediately thought it would be better for my eyes. The NookColor has some great options, not the least of which are a slightly bigger screen, as well as a complete touchable screen, but I prefered the e-ink, so stuck with that.

Back to the free Friday option; today's book is Reaper by Rachel Vincent. It doesn't look like the kind of thing I normally like, but does look like something my daughter would like. Has anyone here read that and can say if in your opinion it would be appropriate for a 15yr. old?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;4142002;
    I finally got my Nook! So far I'm loving it. Of course the day after I bought it they announced Kindle now will have the lending technology, but that's ok.

I knew I would love an eReader and I do. I've had 2 free friday books, and that's a great feature! I love the look-up dictionary feature. Really too much stuff to name.

My MIL who verbally was against it to begin with was much more intrigued by it when she actually saw it. My BIL and I had a very long conversation on Christmas Eve and she hadn't voiced any objections then, so I think she was already becoming more open to them but she was amazed at how easy it was to enlarge the text. That's a feature she unfortunately needs as I think her eyes are getting worse and worse.

I went with the regular Nook as opposed to the NookColor for the e-ink option which I do think will be easier on my eyes. Even in the store I immediately thought it would be better for my eyes. The NookColor has some great options, not the least of which are a slightly bigger screen, as well as a complete touchable screen, but I prefered the e-ink, so stuck with that.

Back to the free Friday option; today's book is Reaper by Rachel Vincent. It doesn't look like the kind of thing I normally like, but does look like something my daughter would like. Has anyone here read that and can say if in your opinion it would be appropriate for a 15yr. old?
    That text enlarging is incredibly easy to use...basically about 2 clicks and it is done...before I had the light I'd do that when the light was low and it helped a lot...and then switch back when light was normal.

I read my Kindle outside all the time. I take it to the beach in the summer in a large freezer bag. It keeps out the water and sand and you can read and click right through the bag. I'm excited that so many of you are getting e-readers! Should we change the title of the thread to include more than Kindles?
    justCoz - you might also mention to your MIL that an e-reader is much easier on the wrists than a heavier book. That's an issue for a lot of older readers. I've know some to forego reading a book because of its size.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4142078;
    I read my Kindle outside all the time. I take it to the beach in the summer in a large freezer bag. It keeps out the water and sand and you can read and click right through the bag. I'm excited that so many of you are getting e-readers! Should we change the title of the thread to include more than Kindles?
    justCoz - you might also mention to your MIL that an e-reader is much easier on the wrists than a heavier book. That's an issue for a lot of older readers. I've know some to forego reading a book because of its size.
    Good idea, I'll mention that to her. She does have bad arthritis, so that might be a help to her. Another plus I noticed right away, but hadn't thought about was that I can set it down and see it just fine without even holding it, but no worries about the pages staying open.

My FIL was fascinated with the technology. I don't know if MIL really is open to it, because she's still convinced her video tapes are better than the dvds. She has lots of tapes that she could convert to dvds and take up so much less space in her house but she doesn't want to do that. She's always saying they're too old to learn new technology. She doesn't do 'tex-mex' (what she calls text messaging!) If I could convince her that an eReader doesn't have to take the place of "real" books I think she'd find she would like it.

btw, I LOVE the freezer bag idea, what a fabulous plan!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;4142251;
    Good idea, I'll mention that to her. She does have bad arthritis, so that might be a help to her. Another plus I noticed right away, but hadn't thought about was that I can set it down and see it just fine without even holding it, but no worries about the pages staying open.

My FIL was fascinated with the technology. I don't know if MIL really is open to it, because she's still convinced her video tapes are better than the dvds. She has lots of tapes that she could convert to dvds and take up so much less space in her house but she doesn't want to do that. She's always saying they're too old to learn new technology. She doesn't do 'tex-mex' (what she calls text messaging!) If I could convince her that an eReader doesn't have to take the place of "real" books I think she'd find she would like it.

btw, I LOVE the freezer bag idea, what a fabulous plan!
    And that is also helpful with arthritis---holding even a paperback in one hand while trying to keep the pages open while I read in bed used to make my thumb and arm muscles so sore the next day.
    Love the freezer bag idea---headed off for some sand and surf soon...will forget the whole stylish gel cover idea and go shop for smaller freezer bags!

+ Reply to Thread