+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 61 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Kindle

Re: Kindle

My Kindle arrived today, 3 days early!!! I've put 3 books on it and I so look forward to readig at lunchtime tomorrow. Yipeeee.
    "Grammar is the bus that carries the words, without it they have to walk, and get very confused on the way." Unknown

"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by dougrayfan;4138081;
    My Kindle arrived today, 3 days early!!! I've put 3 books on it and I so look forward to readig at lunchtime tomorrow. Yipeeee.
    Congrats! I think you'll love it! It's just so convenient!
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Hi all--been traveling...with my Kindle of course! so a brief update on the gift giving aspect that's new to Kindle--it worked fine. In fact I got about a half dozen books for Christmas that way!
    I also got a new smaller Kindle for Christmas and passed my "old" one (all of a year old, and already 100 books on it!) to my Sig. Other. We now share a Kindle library. So reporting on that--not as convenient as I expected to load everything onto the new one--I had to click on each book I wanted to transfer. Given the number this took quite a bit of time. Maybe I missed some quick way to do this, but my comp sci major son was helping me, and he didn't see a quicker way. Maybe someone else has figured that out, and can share for others? I'm sure I won't be the only one to ask.
    The new Kindle does have a little better contrast as reported, and is definitely smaller and lighter and thinner. About the thickness of an envelope. I was initially thrilled with that, but once I added the cover it felt about the same weight and thickness as the old one. I'm happy with the cover...very plain black one so it doesn't look tempting to steal (looks like a weekly calendar), AND it has a built in light feature that you can pull out when light is weak (I used it on a plane when my overhead light was misaimed and the pilot turned off the general lighting at night)--very handy although I think it may drain the battery a bit even when not in action. BUT I was really hoping for something thinner as well as smaller for everyday. I see on the Amazon site that they have something other than covers, something called gelskins, that look like they might just slip over the Kindle and not add to the weight/bulk, so easy to slip in a pocket or purse. Now to my question...
    Does anyone have a "skin" and know how it works? It looks as if you can read the book right through it, kind of....so you don't take it off? But also the designs seem to have a faint design right over where the type is...so doesn't that interfere with reading? I will use the cover for traveling, when I'll want the light feature and the sturdier protection, but I think the "skin" would be fine most days. Help? Thanks!

I just bought myself a kindle. Liking it so far. But I have a few questions about the accessories.

Does the leather cover (with the built-in light) make it bulky? Hard to hold while reading? One of my favorite things about the kindle is that I don't have to hold it open (like a book) while I'm reading. I can comfortably hold it in bed with one hand, etc. If the cover is going to ruin those perks for me, I'd rather not spend the $60. I have a puffy sleeve I got from Kohl's for $6 that will protect it just fine while I'm not using it. I need a reading light for reading in bed though... that's why I'm considering the lighted cover. If the cover isn't an option, because of the possible bulkiness, any recommendations for a reading light to attach directly to the kindle?

Also, anyone have a skin decal or screen protector? Does the skin also cover the screen, or just the black/white part of the kindle? Screen protector - necessary, you think? Any recommendations for one that won't interfere with the quality of the print?

TIA!!

I have a skin, but it just covers the back and I don't use it with the cover. I don't recommend the cover with the light built in unless you do a lot of reading in bed with a sleeping partner. The light-less cover is not heavy or bulky. The cover flips all the way behind so you still only have to hold and click the page turner with one hand.
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Even the light cover version flips over and folds open and you can hold it in one hand. The lighted cover for the smaller Kindle is about as much weight as the larger Kindle with a plain cover. The lighted cover has a kind of elastic band thing on it that fits in a groove when it is closed to help keep it closed, and which can also be used to keep it open and the cover folded back. I prop it against a heavy glass when I'm reading at a diner for example, and do "no hands" reading except when I need to turn a page. I'm of two minds about the band--on the one hand I used to toss my old Kindle into the front seat when I got in the car from the driver's side and it would sometimes pop open---now that never happens. On the other hand it has to be "dealt with" when you open and close the cover.
    I went to Best Buy today to see if I could find one of those skin covers to use for every day, but no luck. I may just have to order one from Amazon and take my chances. Unless someone here has one... Gut, the ones I saw online seemed to have a front aspect as well, that at least covered the keys. Not the same as yours? Thanks!

MiSSis, I did not want to spent 60$ for a cover with a light when I have a puffed sleeve that protects my Sony Reader (not a Kindle, but still love it!) and I really only need the light at night, so I don't bother my hubby while I read and he sleeps. The solution was to buy a 15$ light with a clip. It is made for the Kindle, but works very well with my reader. I just got it yesterday and tried it last night. It is perfect. Not heavy, clips well, shines brightly, but only illuminates the reader. Both hubby and I were pleased.

Here is the link to the light: chapters.indigo.ca: Verso Clip Light

Kaplan has made more than 130 of their ebooks available for free until January 10. See Kaplan's giving away Free eBooks Jan 4-10. Check out http://FreeKaplanEbooks.com.

My wonderful mom sent me an Amazon gift card for Christmas. My reaction when I opened it was something like this: "WOOHOO, I'm buyin' a Kindle!" (accompanied by a happy dance).

When my initial elation wore off I did waaaay too much reading on eReaders to decide if I should really get a Kindle versus another eReader. I did decide in the end to stick with Kindle, and I placed my order today - I'm really excited to start using it!! I also decided to order the Amazon Kindle cover without the light. The one without the light is $35 and the one with is $60 - I just can't see spending that much extra on a light I don't really think I will use. My only reservation is that there were a number of reviews on the cover without the light where people reported Kindle problems related to the hooks that connect to the Kindle. If anyone here used the cover without the light, can you tell me if you had problems or not?

I've never had a problem with my Kindle cover, but I have the Kindle 2, not the newest one. I'm so excited for you!
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread