+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 62 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

Re: Kindle

Remember that you can download a sample of any book that catches your eye for free. If you carry your Kindle in your purse (do you have a cover?) you can do it right there on the spot and don't risk losing the list. I like to go to the review of the book on amazon and read the viewer comments, or even just the bars that show how many stars reviewers have given it. If something sounds good in the blurb, but a lot of reviewers have panned it, I usually skip it. Too many books, too little time. I'm glad you're enjoying your Kindle, JavaJo!
    Count your blessings!

My thoughtful husband did get me a cover when he ordered it. I didn't even think about just ordering the books as I browsed even though I knew I could do that. Duh!

I have to say I think my favorite feature is the auto shut-off. I read in bed at night to fall asleep. I often pass out with the book I'm reading open and I lose my place all the time! With the Kindle, it saves my spot AND shuts off if I don't turn a page within a certain amount of time.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Have you used the word definition function yet?
    Count your blessings!

Kiz

Amazon Rolls Out Book Lending for Kindle - FoxBusiness.com

Amazon (AMZN: 182.80, 0.00, 0.00%) has started lending out Kindle books, a move that catches it up with rival Barnes and Noble (BKS: 14.34, 0.00, 0.00%).

The program, launched Thursday, allows readers, even non-Kindle owners, to borrow a book from another user for 14 days. The books can be downloaded and read using the Kindle or the online retailerís free Kindle apps available on various mobile devices.

Only lendable books, those approved by the publisher or rights holder, are eligible for the program. Once the book is loaned out, the lender will not be able to access it until it is returned.
    Eligible titles will be marked as so under the product details section on Amazon.

Kindle owners who want to loan out their book can do so through Amazonís Kindle management page. The owner only has to enter the borrowerís name and email.

The initiative aligns Amazon with Barnes & Nobleís Nook eReader. Rolled out last year, the Nook offers a variety of features, including the ability to loan books to people for a two week period.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4134900;
    Have you used the word definition function yet?
    Sure have! And that's wonderful that we can lend and borrow books now!
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

My Kindle should arrive by 1/6/11. I ordered it for Mom for Christmas but when I realized it was going to arrive too late, went to Best Buy to purchase there. They ran out of Kindles so I got the Nook for Mom. She's ordered 2 books and has finished one. She likes it so far. I think, though, she'll appreciate it more when travelling. We're booked on The Epic Saturday after Thanksgiving, and not having to lug books in luggage will be a plus. Of course, on that ship, sitting to read a book will probably not be a priority, but we'll see. I decided to keep the Kindle myself and reading through the comments here has only strengthened my decision, I'm looking forward to getting it and playing. I am a book lover, I love the feel and smell of books (family thinks I'm nuts saying I love the smell). I belong to bookcrossing (a worldwide "bookclub") where you leave books for others to pick up (I leave at resturants, hotels, rest stops, etc) and I love doing that so I don't think my Kindle will completly replace books, but I believe it is ideal for traveling. I could have used it when I went to Hawaii last April, too many hours in airports and on flights.

I also take books out from my local library using overdrive, but I think only the Nook can do that right now, I don't believe the Kindle can "read" the Adobe text. That's OK though, I can continue to read them on the laptop.

I'm really enjoying this topic, thanks for the info, everyone!!!!!
    "Grammar is the bus that carries the words, without it they have to walk, and get very confused on the way." Unknown

"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." Abraham Lincoln

Just told Mom about the topic and she asked me to ask a question. Sometimes when getting books on CD you have to be careful not to get abridged books. Her question is does anyone know if the books on Nook (or Kindle for that matter) are full length or abridged? She just read the latest Vince Flynn book and feels like iit may have been abridged. Anyone have any ideas?
    "Grammar is the bus that carries the words, without it they have to walk, and get very confused on the way." Unknown

"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." Abraham Lincoln

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougrayfan;4135599;
    Just told Mom about the topic and she asked me to ask a question. Sometimes when getting books on CD you have to be careful not to get abridged books. Her question is does anyone know if the books on Nook (or Kindle for that matter) are full length or abridged? She just read the latest Vince Flynn book and feels like iit may have been abridged. Anyone have any ideas?
    I too have heard that some e-books are abridged and do not contain the entire text. I have not experienced it myself though. That's all I can contribute.

I wonder why they do this, if we pay for the book, we should get the complete version.

Still loving my Nook, but anxious to take a class to learn more and avoid reading the manual.

DougGrayFan, I looked up the "abridged" information...according to BN, "...if we receive an indication from the publisher that a book is abridged, that information will appear in the edition description field...".

And be sure to tell your mom to watch for "Free Book Fridays". She may not always like the books that are offered...it can be hit or miss, depending on what she likes to read.

(I've read 5 books on my new color Nook since Christmas :-) Anyone else get one?)

Thanks for the comments Talldede and Tripltgemini-I'll let her know. I was telling her about the comments regarding Free Friday's, hopefully she'll check it out. I can look too, I added her account to my laptop in the event she has problems with hers (mine's newer). She really does believe the Flynn book was abridged that he's more detailed than the Nookbook was. I will take her word for it, I haven't read it. I guess I could look at the book in the bookstore and compare page numbering - hmmmm. No, that's kinda weird, nevermid.

Anyway, thanks for the comments!

+ Reply to Thread