+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 62 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

Re: Kindle

I have a question for Kindle users. I have Kindle for the PC, which I love, but I would also like to purchase the kindle device. I do not have Wi-Fi, so I'm trying to figure out if I can use the $139 device and download my books by plugging it into a USB port. It seems to me that will work, but I'd like to make sure before I purchase it.

My Kindle for PC has the dictionary capability the Nook users described above. I would anticipate that the device does, too.

Thanks for the help.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

You can use the USB port, but you don't have to... the Wi-Fi is built in and free on the Kindle. I'd recommend going to the amazon site and checking the access map. Some places have better access than others. In fact, I'd recommend going to the amazon site and watching the tutorial videos and check out the discussion tab at the top while you're there. Lots of FAQ answered there.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4126160;
    You can use the USB port, but you don't have to... the Wi-Fi is built in and free on the Kindle. I'd recommend going to the amazon site and checking the access map. Some places have better access than others. In fact, I'd recommend going to the amazon site and watching the tutorial videos and check out the discussion tab at the top while you're there. Lots of FAQ answered there.
    Thanks very much for the answer, Gutmutter. I have read the FAQs and that's what I thought, but I'm delighted to have it confirmed.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Shows are giving away Kindles left and right. Wonder when they'll get around to bringing one to my house?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;4126602;
    Thanks very much for the answer, Gutmutter. I have read the FAQs and that's what I thought, but I'm delighted to have it confirmed.
    I've downloaded all over the country, airports, cities, countryside, and never had a problem. Even in moving vehicles which seems like some kind of miracle to me!

My Kindle news--apparently you can now give people Kindle books for presents, even if you don't have one. My brother, not yet of the Kindle family, just emailed me to tell me that I should be hearing he gave me one for Christmas, and sure enough there's an email from Amazon to that effect. I'm waiting until Christmas to "unwrap" it, so not sure yet if the system works perfectly. The email came to my home computer, not my Kindle.
    You didn't use to be able to do this I think--I tried to give my other brother something last year and couldn't figure out a way to do it.

I got a Kindle gift certificate from my Secret Santa - it is just a code that you apply to your "manage Kindle" account. Very easy.
    Count your blessings!

My husband got me one for Christmas! So far...I LOVE it!
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Congratulations JavaJo! Go back to page 1 and start taking notes. PM me if you have any questions. I'm a fanatic. Don't forget about all the free books. My sister's library is re-organizing and asked all their patrons to take out 25 books each. Since she has 2 kids, she now has 75 books in the trunk of her car. Crazy.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4133119;
    Congratulations JavaJo! Go back to page 1 and start taking notes. PM me if you have any questions. I'm a fanatic. Don't forget about all the free books. My sister's library is re-organizing and asked all their patrons to take out 25 books each. Since she has 2 kids, she now has 75 books in the trunk of her car. Crazy.
    I will certainly do that, and thank you. It's nice to know I have my very own guru if I run into problems or have questions.

I've already hit up the free section. I downloaded several word games and about 12 books so far. I'm about 1/3 of the way through my first book! I've also ordered a couple that I paid for. My husband said that after the mortgage payment is made the first week in January, I could have $100 to order more. I do love that man! But I do know where all my spare change will be going....straight to Kindle!
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.

I went back and reread this whole thread per Gutmutter's suggestion. I noticed a lot of people saying they would miss browsing the book stores and libraries. I was doing my grocery shopping tonight and cruised through the book section. I jotted down several titles/authors on my grocery list to check out on Amazon when I got home. I found a way to still browse with my Kindle! I find a lot of times, the cover catches my eye more than the title. So I figured...why not? I'm now the proud new owner of 6 Kindle books! I seriously don't remember what I did without it and it's only been 4 days!

+ Reply to Thread