+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 64 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Kindle

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Kindle

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4120878;
    I, too, wish libraries would step up to the times and that there could be some standard of e-books and readers that would make the library available to me again. I have no desire to read DTBs where you have to turn pages. I'm not a germaphobe but I know somebody here objects on those grounds to library books. Unfortunately every town around here is struggling just to keep their library doors open, never mind upgrade to new technology. Sometimes our nation's priorities are a bit askew.
    This is one reason I'm considering the Nook for my Christmas gift this year. Nook is linked with e-lending in public libraries (5 local libraries in my area are on this program, as well as 3 university libraries). And the downloads are FREE!!!

They *poof* after two weeks. So, you need to finish your "borrowed" book in 2 weeks or download it again.

ETA: you can visit overdrive.com to see which libraries in your area particiate in e-lending, and view the books available. You can also download MP3 audio books. You need to download some free Adobe software to your PC or laptop to download:

You can use all ePub and PDF books from Overdrive. You will need to install Adobe Digital Editions on your computer, and use it to download the books. (When you install it, it associated with the ".acsm" file type, so when you click on "Download" on their site it automatically launches ADE and downloads the book.) Then plug in your nook, tell ADE to "authorize" it (the first time), and drag the book cover onto the nook (shown on the lefthand side). After you "eject" the nook, the book should appear under "My Documents".

Lest you think this is hard, please know that my 9 year old niece demonstrated this for me.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 12-07-2010 at 08:41 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;4121532;
    justCoz - I am not versed in the differences between the Nook and the NookColor. We went with the NookColor as we often have young nieces and nephews visiting and I liked the vivid full color books available to the NookColor. We also liked the internet access, but are finding that feature a bit cumbersome. I know I am likely doing something wrong, I seem to be allergic to reading user's manuals. I am going to take a NookColor class at B&N soon. Downloading when you purchase a book is very easy and when I borrow from the library, it's as simple as downloading to the computer, then using a USB cable and downloading to the NookColor.

I'm very new to this technology and I'm amazed. This is the wave of the future. When my oldest goes to college in 4 years, I'm sure he will be accessing many of his textbooks via an ebook type device. It's incredibly impressive. You can highlight text on the NookColor too!
    Thanks for all the help. I can read manuals but they are more cumbersome for me. I prefer people showing me, so knowing they have a class is great!

I completely understand what you mean by the downloading to your computer and using the USB cable, because it's the same thing my mom uses for downloading books to her mp3 player. I think her library uses overdrive too, IIRC. I watched her do that so I'm familiar with that.

I think what I was reading is that that Nook has a lending capability, but that the NookColor had borrowing capability too. Which doesn't make sense to me, if you can lend it, someone has to be able to receive it. I'm sure there's something there I'm not getting, but the wording was definitely different.

Now, the NookColor will be going back on a wish list for my anniversary or birthday. I know I'd love it, especially while traveling since I tend to take a lot of books with me. But I knew I haven't been buying books, so getting one for a vacation seemed a bit over the top. Borrowing from the library and using it all the time would make it worth getting. One thing I know I'll love is the dictionary feature. I don't find many words I don't know, but I really hate getting out of my comfortable spot on the couch to get the dictionary - I hate not knowing worse though (usually )

justCoz - that's my favorite feature. I know a lot of words, too, but sometimes I like to check that my definition is actually accurate. Sometimes when I read period pieces (The Crimson Petal and the White) there are LOTS of words I'm not familiar with. Point, click, definition!
    Count your blessings!

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4121607;
    Now I'm really curious. I can "highlight" on my Kindle, but that really means "underline". Does the NookColor highlight in color? Do you have a choice of colors?
    Good question! I refuse to watch the online user manual. It does highlight in yellow, I do know that.

justCoz - I can lend copies of books I've purchased, but I have to know the user I'm lending the book to. I don't know any other NookColor owners, maybe we can trade when you get yours.

I'm really enjoying it, can't wait to take a class after the holidays and learn about more fancy features.

Oh yes, the dictionary feature is excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632;4117962;
    I finally downloaded the short story that Stephen King wrote for/about the Kindle and it was really good! I definitely related to the Kindle parts - hero resists getting one, friends mock him for giving up the 'smell' of books, etc. The story is good, but the Kindle focus made it much better. It was only about $3 so I gave it a shot.

I also was on a bus today without my Kindle (seriously, I would be more likely to be without my shoes than without my Kindle, but I digress) and tried the Droid app for the first time. I had just finished a book so didn't need to figure out where I was, I just started a new one. It was a great substitute and when I opened the book on my 'real' Kindle at home, it said "Last read on Jamie's Droid to Location x, would you like to go to that location now?" Yet ANOTHER reason I LOVE my kindle!!

I love having the Kindle app on my Droid, BUT it really drains the battery life! I find myself only being able to read the Droid Kindle for about 30 minutes before it flashes to "only 20% power remaining" yellow bar.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;4122392;
    justCoz - I can lend copies of books I've purchased, but I have to know the user I'm lending the book to. I don't know any other NookColor owners, maybe we can trade when you get yours.

Oh yes, the dictionary feature is excellent!
    So, Gut and talldede, it sounds like I'll love that dictionary feature as much as I imagine I will.

I'll be happy to trade books, but the Nook is on my birthday list which isn't until July so that will be awhile

One crazy thing I noticed is that you can read any of the books at B&N for free for an hour. I read fast. A few times a week, or even once a week and I could finish a book pretty quickly. Our store has a coffee shop, I know I could hang out there for an hour easily.

Yes, you can read at B&N for an hour, FOR FREE! I've not done it yet, but will. I just received notice that 2 e-books from my library are ready for me to download. I'm so excited! I'm loving the Nook.

Has anyone read "Russian Winter" by Kalotay? My book club starts it in January, it looks great!

Thanks for asking about Russian Winter. I read the description at amazon and downloaded it to start today. Sounds like a good one. You might ask over in What Are You Reading? Not everyone visits the Kindle thread here. I finished The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. That one certainly gets you counting your blessings, but good!
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Glass Castle was an amazing memoir!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4124950;
    Thanks for asking about Russian Winter. I read the description at amazon and downloaded it to start today. Sounds like a good one. You might ask over in What Are You Reading? Not everyone visits the Kindle thread here. I finished The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. That one certainly gets you counting your blessings, but good!
    I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Russian Winter. My book club starts this in January, so unfortunately, I have to wait......I may not be able too, it does look good!

I've not read The Glass Castle, but my sister and Mom raved about it. How someone can be so healthy and functioning with the childhood they endured, that's resilience.

+ Reply to Thread