+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

Re: Kindle

I'm the same way, PWS - I got a padded cover for it that folds back. It protects it in my purse and makes it easier to hold. You can hold it and turn pages (forward and back) with one hand. I'm on my second "paid for" book - "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" that I started out listening to on CDs in my car. Since it's been out a while, it was only $7. I bookmarked the page that explains who all the family members are in the case, and it's been nice going back to it the couple of times I've gotten confused.
    I've been going to school to put up my bulletin board and showing it to anyone else who's there to get a head start. I've added "Dracula" and "Jane Eyre" to my library (free) while demonstrating it to people. Everyone has been suitably impressed.
    Count your blessings!

My local library would be so disappointed if I stopped buying books for them, but this sounds very handy to have when riding as a passenger in a car, or on vacation. So, I may have to look into this. You have me so excited, and I don't even know what the heck this thing is! I know that the cost of new books downloaded for it is cheaper then the book itself. How much storage is there? Or do you transfer to your laptop. Am I sounding ignorant? OK, I will head over to Amazon and look into it.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

The Kindle holds 1,500 books and if you go over that (or if you just don't want that many on your Kindle) you can store them in your own personal archive at Amazon and download them at any point with all your bookmarks, highlights, and/or notes saved. I've been trying to rein back my enthusiasm so I don't come off as a braggart or crazy person, but I'm still soooooo in love with this. It doesn't have anything to do with your computer Mike'sgirl other than the fact that there are options to download things like music and documents onto it from your computer and you can use your computer to buy content from Amazon (or you can do that from your Kindle). When I finished Dragon Tattoo I immediately downloaded the next book in the series and in under a minute was reading as if it were just one long book. Instant gratification. One complaint my sister-in-law had was not visually seeing her progress in a book, but there is a percentage bar at the bottom of the page that shows you how far you are in the book that works just as well for me. I really like not turning physical pages, although a couple of times I've caught myself reaching for the top right corner of the Kindle as if to turn a physical page There are three different videos on Amazon's home page to show you all about the Kindle. I don't understand why they aren't advertising it more outside of their website.
    I wanted to add that I've tried 3 free samples of books that I chose not to buy because I didn't care for the writing style. I've also tried a sample (The Help) that I downloaded and read because it caught me up immediately. Nice to be able to read a couple chapters of a book you might not otherwise pick up and then make up your mind.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 08-23-2009 at 08:16 AM.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It's just like going into a book store and browsing! Minus the smell....which I love!!

This whole thing is just too exciting!!!

Gut, your enthusiasm is contagious!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

'shay - it's nice to find a kindlered spirit... nyuk, nyuk.
    Count your blessings!

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

the best thing for me about a kindle is that if you do a lot of air travel, no more trying to figure out what you might like to read on vacation or (gasp!) getting stuck in an airport with nothing to read!
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

It does seem amazing, the only downsize is that I wouldn't be able to donate the books to my library for others to enjoy. Do you have the 2nd generation Gut? Some people felt they liked the 1st generation better because of some features. There seem very few people disappointed with it, and to be able to instantly download anywhere, no wifi required, is amazing. It has peaked my interest, is it Christmas yet?
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I never saw the first edition, but I heard it was easy to unintentionally turn a page because of the way the buttons were designed on the first one. All I know is that I really, really like my BFF. We had our first day with students yesterday and I had students tell me what they read over the summer that they liked and downloaded samples of books that were available (some YA books not converted yet). I like to read YA books that are popular with my students (middle school).
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3680130;
    I never saw the first edition, but I heard it was easy to unintentionally turn a page because of the way the buttons were designed on the first one. All I know is that I really, really like my BFF. We had our first day with students yesterday and I had students tell me what they read over the summer that they liked and downloaded samples of books that were available (some YA books not converted yet). I like to read YA books that are popular with my students (middle school).
    I bought mine last summer and yes, it is too easy to hit the next page bar since it is on both sides of the screen.

I bought the Kindle because I love to read and was finding it more and more difficult to cope with my ink allergy. I have used it only for reading books, but there are so many other things you can do with it...and if my computer and phone weren't so handy I would investigate. I did download one of the "do more" with Kindle manuals. With my budgetary restraints now, I find it lovely to search and find an old favorite, or an author or genre I haven't read before for a used book price without the sales tax.

Speaking of Used Books...I have pulled all my paperbacks into one corner of a room and, while I haven't counted, I think there are over 500 books. I've been procrastinating awhile about how to "get rid" of them. There is a Book Off store (which buys used books) locally, and Library book drives (though last time I checked with them they didn't want or need the genres I have.) There is also an online paper back book rental service I haven't used in quite some time so I can't remember the name, which takes donated books. Anyway, I'll figure it out over the next period of time.

I'm charging up my Kindle as I write - ready for another day.

ETA: I also really like the feature where you choose your font size. It is easier on older eyes to have larger sizes available, although you do hit the Next Page bar more frequently, LOL.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 08-27-2009 at 08:48 AM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Gut, I love that you call your Kindle your BFF!!! Wonder what the life spans of these 'friends' is? Part of me is hoping that if I moan and groan enough, somebody will see to it that I get one of these things! What I'm thinking is that I don't know if it will break my addiction to buying books, though.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread