+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 62 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

Re: Kindle

I, too, wish libraries would step up to the times and that there could be some standard of e-books and readers that would make the library available to me again. I have no desire to read DTBs where you have to turn pages. I'm not a germaphobe but I know somebody here objects on those grounds to library books. Unfortunately every town around here is struggling just to keep their library doors open, never mind upgrade to new technology. Sometimes our nation's priorities are a bit askew.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;4120819;
    No, I don't think it is specific to my library. The Nook reads Adobe EPUB and Adobe pdf files. It's compatible with those. My library has another ebook version called Mobipocket, the Nook DOES NOT read that.

It's so easy, however, my library really needs to increase the number of ebooks, I want so many books that are not yet available and I'll go broke if I keep buying from Barnes and Noble.
    Thanks so much for that info. Now I can research what my library does for their ebooks. I'm not sure how many titles they carry for ebooks but I do know it's something they offer. It could be like when I was listening to the Playaways before I got my mp3 player. They don't have a large selection of Playaway titles so I was discovering new authors.

And thanks Gutmutter, just what I need - a reminder. I have germ paranoia, not a true germaphobe. I try not to think about all the germs those books carry

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;4120901;
    Thanks so much for that info. Now I can research what my library does for their ebooks. I'm not sure how many titles they carry for ebooks but I do know it's something they offer. It could be like when I was listening to the Playaways before I got my mp3 player. They don't have a large selection of Playaway titles so I was discovering new authors.

And thanks Gutmutter, just what I need - a reminder. I have germ paranoia, not a true germaphobe. I try not to think about all the germs those books carry
    Interesting! And I thought she was talking about me!!!! I was just about to tell her to "get off my toes!"

Anyway, justCoz, I feel your paranoia pain!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4120878;
    I, too, wish libraries would step up to the times and that there could be some standard of e-books and readers that would make the library available to me again. I have no desire to read DTBs where you have to turn pages. I'm not a germaphobe but I know somebody here objects on those grounds to library books. Unfortunately every town around here is struggling just to keep their library doors open, never mind upgrade to new technology. Sometimes our nation's priorities are a bit askew.
    Problems exist with DRM - digital rights manangement issues with the books - more than the actual libraries. The libraries' hands are tied; much as exists / existed with online rights to music. Most of the "readers" won't allow the libraries to have access.
    And, of course, one of the biggest issues is that, as you said, funding, is so low at libraries. They have more visitors / patrons than ever before, yet our nation doesn't seem to want to cover the costs of operation.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Of course not! Libraries have to do with books and education....something that our country does not tend to value! :nono
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4121065;
    Interesting! And I thought she was talking about me!!!! I was just about to tell her to "get off my toes!"

Anyway, justCoz, I feel your paranoia pain!
    I didn't think she was talking to me so it might have been you . I go to the library but I just got grossed out thinking of all those germs. I'm choosing to put it out of my mind though. I don't have money right now not to go to the library

talldede I looked up my library options and they do have Adobe EPUB and Adobe pdf files. I was looking at the Nook site. Do you know if I would need the NookColor? From what I read it looked like the regular Nook wasn't compatible but the NookColor was, but I wasn't sure.

I don't actually know who I'm talking about - I just remember someone saying they were skeeved out by library book germs.
    Count your blessings!

I've been known to do bad things to gross-looking books, just to get them out of circulation, and one of our FoRTers has complained about it. I am the unrepentant borrower!

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;4121177;
    talldede I looked up my library options and they do have Adobe EPUB and Adobe pdf files. I was looking at the Nook site. Do you know if I would need the NookColor? From what I read it looked like the regular Nook wasn't compatible but the NookColor was, but I wasn't sure.
    justCoz - I am not versed in the differences between the Nook and the NookColor. We went with the NookColor as we often have young nieces and nephews visiting and I liked the vivid full color books available to the NookColor. We also liked the internet access, but are finding that feature a bit cumbersome. I know I am likely doing something wrong, I seem to be allergic to reading user's manuals. I am going to take a NookColor class at B&N soon. Downloading when you purchase a book is very easy and when I borrow from the library, it's as simple as downloading to the computer, then using a USB cable and downloading to the NookColor.

I'm very new to this technology and I'm amazed. This is the wave of the future. When my oldest goes to college in 4 years, I'm sure he will be accessing many of his textbooks via an ebook type device. It's incredibly impressive. You can highlight text on the NookColor too!

Now I'm really curious. I can "highlight" on my Kindle, but that really means "underline". Does the NookColor highlight in color? Do you have a choice of colors?
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread