+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Kindle

Guess you know what to ask Santa to bring you for Christmas, huh?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Just read on facebook (I'm "friends" with Kindle ) that on Friday the old Kindles are on sale for $89!!!!!!!!! The only difference between them and the new ones is a light gray background as opposed to "pearl" which is supposed to be better contrast. I've never had trouble with the contrast, so if you or a loved one wants a Kindle, shop Friday!
    Count your blessings!

Thanks for the info, Gut! I have a friend who's considering buying a Kindle. I'll pass this on!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

What a crock the $89 Kindle was!!! It was one of their "Lightning Deals" for Black Friday. I had my mouse hovering as the seconds counted down and clicked on it as soon as it became available - and it had already sold out. I went to the discussion thread there and many, many other people had the same experience.
    Count your blessings!

I ended up getting my daughter the newer version. I had $75 in rewards coupons (amazon credit card) so it wasn't too bad. We're going to share an account for a while at least because I have over 200 books and our tastes are similar. We'll have to figure out how to add on books that she wants since the account is linked to my credit card.
    Count your blessings!

I finally downloaded the short story that Stephen King wrote for/about the Kindle and it was really good! I definitely related to the Kindle parts - hero resists getting one, friends mock him for giving up the 'smell' of books, etc. The story is good, but the Kindle focus made it much better. It was only about $3 so I gave it a shot.

I also was on a bus today without my Kindle (seriously, I would be more likely to be without my shoes than without my Kindle, but I digress) and tried the Droid app for the first time. I had just finished a book so didn't need to figure out where I was, I just started a new one. It was a great substitute and when I opened the book on my 'real' Kindle at home, it said "Last read on Jamie's Droid to Location x, would you like to go to that location now?" Yet ANOTHER reason I LOVE my kindle!!
    Wag more, bark less

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

I just bought a NookColor a few weeks ago. I love it! I went with the Nook (Barnes and Nobles version of the kindle) for a few reasons. You have more flexibility with the books you purchase or borrow. I've already borrowed several books from my library. It has access to the internet when in WiFi areas, so it acts like a mini iPad. The color feature allows me to download magazine, children's books, etc.

The drawbacks, 8 hour battery life and it's a tad heavy at 1 pound.

But, I love the touch screen, our family is really sold on the NookColor.

Glad you found a good fit for your family. Happy reading!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;4120412;
    I just bought a NookColor a few weeks ago. I love it! I went with the Nook (Barnes and Nobles version of the kindle) for a few reasons. You have more flexibility with the books you purchase or borrow. I've already borrowed several books from my library. It has access to the internet when in WiFi areas, so it acts like a mini iPad. The color feature allows me to download magazine, children's books, etc.

The drawbacks, 8 hour battery life and it's a tad heavy at 1 pound.

But, I love the touch screen, our family is really sold on the NookColor.
    You can borrow books from your library with your Nook? That's what I've been waiting for. Is it a specific program with your library?

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;4120674;
    You can borrow books from your library with your Nook? That's what I've been waiting for. Is it a specific program with your library?
    No, I don't think it is specific to my library. The Nook reads Adobe EPUB and Adobe pdf files. It's compatible with those. My library has another ebook version called Mobipocket, the Nook DOES NOT read that.

It's so easy, however, my library really needs to increase the number of ebooks, I want so many books that are not yet available and I'll go broke if I keep buying from Barnes and Noble.

+ Reply to Thread