+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 62 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

Re: Kindle

Hmmmm. When I flew here, I just had it in my purse and nobody said anything.
    Count your blessings!

And I can't recall if it's been said yet, but when you go through security it counts as a computer.
    The Nook doesn't...I asked when I flew with it the first time. They told me to leave it in my purse.

CCL

It's probably one of those those things where it's too new to have a set procedure used everywhere.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I just found this forum and wanted to add my two cents...

I purchased my Kindle in March of this year, well before the price drop. Some features/benefits of the Kindle that led to my decision to purchase the Kindle include:
    1. reducing the amount of physical "clutter" in our home by reducing the number of books that I have sitting on darn near every flat surface;
    2. traveling with several books and never exceeding the 6 ounce weight, an especially worthwhile feature when you have to pay extra to check bags; and
    3. portability, particularly when waiting in doctor's office waiting rooms (now instead of getting bored when I've finished my reading material and the doctor still isn't ready to treat patients, I figure it's an opportunity to get lost in a book).
    Last week I returned from vacation and my Kindle had black stripes on it and it wouldn't re-boot. I called Amazon on Saturday and on Monday the UPS guy was dropping off a replacement Kindle to me. It took less than 10 minutes to return the Kindle to Amazon via the UPS store and that is because I had to wait through two traffic lights to get to the store. I am so impressed with their customer service and how painless they made my exchange. I'm still in the process of moving my downloads from the archives to my active page, but will try to keep the main menu relatively clutter free.

Finally, my sister-in-law was on the fence about whether she wanted to purchase the Kindle. I lent mine to her for a few days and she used it while sitting in doctor's waiting rooms while her mother was being treated by the doctor. She was sold on it and ordered her own a few days later. Having it helped her tremendously during her 8 hour flight to Ireland and then on to Portugal for a week.

We have already agreed to periodically swap out our Kindles with one another so we can read books the other has downloaded.

ETA: I just saw that beginning in September, it looks like you can either purchase or at least order a Kindle book reader at Target.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;4043714;
    It's probably one of those those things where it's too new to have a set procedure used everywhere.
    I think you are right. A lot of security people aren't sure what it is...e.g., I pad?

And I agree with all that moflan said above, with the addition of my other favorite point---no one knows what you are reading! So you don't have to worry about those embarassing bodice ripper covers!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Has anyone gotten the new Kindle yet? I read that it is smaller, even lighter, AND with 50% more contrast or something (which would be good...when light is very low I am close to increading the type size to read it). Lighter is also always good, and to make it smaller they just shaved of the border that doesn't really do anything. Then it could fit in a coat pocket, purse, etc., easily, be good for lots of people I'd think. And I think you can maybe transfer your current books into the new version.

Your books (and bookmarks, etc.) are all archived at Amazon. No matter which Kindle you get, as long as it's on your account (and you can have more than one on your account) you have access to all your books. So you could have 3 different sized Kindles and a PC ap all going at once on the same account. I think I remember reading here that there is a phone ap, too, but with my old eyes, I can't imagine reading a book on a phone.
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Hmmm, so I could get the new one, and "lend" my old one to a friend who likes the same kinds of books? That might solve one downside I have with mine... I've often passed favorite books to my sig. other and now can only do that if I"m willing to give up the Kindle myself.
    Thanks, Gut---as always you are the maven of all things Kindle!

I would only lend it to someone I really trust because they could download books to your account on it (on your credit card). But yes, if you got a new one on your account, a friend, SO, or anyone could read anything you have on it while you're reading the new one.
    Count your blessings!

I've started hinting that mom wants a kindle for Christmas this year. But sometimes my family can be really dense, so I may end up buying one for myself.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread