+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Kindle

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz;3911734;
    PWS, I went back and reread a lot of the manual. It was a lot for me to digest the first go around. I missed how you turn it off (which, going to the full gray screen you mentioned is off it turns out), and I even attempted to search online for info on turning off the Kindle to no avail. But, after reading your post and going back to my manual, I found that I had almost turned my Kindle off, but I must have given up right before it turned off. Instinctively, I thought holding the power key in the sleep/off position would turn it off, but I must have let it slide back before it completely powered off. I just gave it a try after reading to hold it 4-5 secs, and I got the gray screen. Thanks for your help.
    Yeah, I have to count to 6 when I turn it to gray.... I guess I'm a fast counter! I think they could have made that period a bit shorter.... Glad to know that's as off as it gets! It must be using some kind of power though,no, to remember where I am in my book?

I was given a nook as a gift last month, and I really like it. It fits into my small purse, which means I can slide it in behind my wallet when I'm out running errands and such and always have it available.

BN has "free fridays", where they give away a book for free every week. And they're running a five-week special for free ebooks (although this requires actually going to the store to get the code).

I've already purchased the complete works of Sherlock Holmes (two volumes, $1.99 each), the poems of Edgar Allen Poe, and several other sets. This is very cool.

And the latest upgrade (which installed web browsing, along with some other stuff) is very nice, too. I tweeted from my nook a couple of weeks ago...just because I could :-)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Lucky you!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini;3918408;
    I was given a nook as a gift last month, and I really like it. It fits into my small purse, which means I can slide it in behind my wallet when I'm out running errands and such and always have it available.

BN has "free fridays", where they give away a book for free every week. And they're running a five-week special for free ebooks (although this requires actually going to the store to get the code).

I've already purchased the complete works of Sherlock Holmes (two volumes, $1.99 each), the poems of Edgar Allen Poe, and several other sets. This is very cool.

And the latest upgrade (which installed web browsing, along with some other stuff) is very nice, too. I tweeted from my nook a couple of weeks ago...just because I could :-)
    Are they free new books, as in bestsellers?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Are they free new books, as in bestsellers?
    I don't know if they're bestsellers or not, but so far on "Free Fridays" I've gotten:
    • The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker by Leanna Renee Hieber
    • The Scent of Shadows by Vicki Pettersson (I'm reading this one now)
    • Executive Privilege by Phillip Margolin

I haven't made it to a store yet to take advantage of the other free offer. (And it looks like I've missed the deadlines for the first two books...drat. Oh, well...)

And before the free offer started, I was in the store, where I got a slew of free short stories (and a free 7-layer bar from the cafe' that my son ate ;-) ).

Thanks.

Don't know about the first 2, but the last one, Executive Privilege, is a book I read about 1 1/2 years ago.
    Is the 7 layer bar like 7 layer cake??
    I grew up on the EC and they have 7 layer cake which is to die for.

Don't know about the first 2, but the last one, Executive Privilege, is a book I read about 1 1/2 years ago.
    I don't think the books are recent releases, but as long as I haven't read them, I don't care :-)

Is the 7 layer bar like 7 layer cake??
    I grew up on the EC and they have 7 layer cake which is to die for.
    LOL No, it's a like a cookie...I think it had coconut, nuts, and chocolate, but I don't know what else. (I only saw it for a second ;-) )

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini;3919757;
    I don't think the books are recent releases, but as long as I haven't read them, I don't care :-)

LOL No, it's a like a cookie...I think it had coconut, nuts, and chocolate, but I don't know what else. (I only saw it for a second ;-) )
    Thanks.
    Totally different from the cake, then.
    I still have dreams about that cake at night.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Don't say "cake"!

Don't say "cookies"!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I downloaded the app for Kindle to my Ipod & love it! I can pull it out & read whenever I want. I have a book on there that's over 750 pages, so it's just my go-to book when I need something to read. & yes, you have to turn the page like every 5 seconds, but I'm used to it!
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

+ Reply to Thread