+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Kindle

Re: Kindle

This is a great thread guys - I hadn't thought at all about an e-reader until I finally decided to take a listen to the guy in the "Nook booth" at our Barnes and Noble. He of course had all the reasons why I should do Nook over Kindle, but do any of you know if there's much difference one way or the other? I'm kind of intrigued by the idea now (kinda like being able watch movies instantly with my Netflix ), but I agree with those of you that say there's just something about the feel of a book in your hands. Also, there is no way I could ever not browse in the book store. That is one of my simple pleasures in life. I couldn't give that up to "browse" my Kindle/Nook whatever.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

CCL

There's also a new ereader called Kobo from Canada coming out (also to be available in the US from Borders) that retails at $ 149.00 (CAD) versus $ 259.00 (USD) for the Kindle and $ 499.00 + (USD) for the iPad. It's gotten some good reviews, and the price is certainly favourable.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I'm not familiar with any of them other than the Kindle, so I can't compare, but I do challenge you to go and 'browse" in the Kindle book section at Amazon. Browse some of the lists on the left side of the screen and when you find one you like, check out the books that are similar. I like browsing at amazon because you can read good and bad reviews by readers.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Is "Alone...Orphaned on the Ocean" on the Kindle, or anything else? It doesn't seem to be in my library yet
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;3900768;
    This is a great thread guys - I hadn't thought at all about an e-reader until I finally decided to take a listen to the guy in the "Nook booth" at our Barnes and Noble. He of course had all the reasons why I should do Nook over Kindle, but do any of you know if there's much difference one way or the other? I'm kind of intrigued by the idea now (kinda like being able watch movies instantly with my Netflix ), but I agree with those of you that say there's just something about the feel of a book in your hands. Also, there is no way I could ever not browse in the book store. That is one of my simple pleasures in life. I couldn't give that up to "browse" my Kindle/Nook whatever.
    I have neither one but have looked at them a little. As I understand it those two are similar in that they both use air cards, IIRC the Sony version requires a computer where the Kindle and Nook connect to the internet on their own.

One difference I know they have is this: the Nook has a feature that allows you to 'lend' your books to any other Nook user. (it's similar to a library eBook from what I understand). If I am correct it transfers to the friend's Nook and stays on for a short time (a couple of weeks or so). In that time it's not accessable by the original owner. After those couple of weeks it is no longer accessable by the lendee and the lender gains his/her access back. Just like if they loaned a book IRL. The Kindle allows you to have a set amount of people on your list (I believe it's 5) and you can share with them, but only those on your list and not just any Kindle user. That feature has me leaning towards a Nook purchase rather than a Kindle.

Another difference is that the Kindle has voice capability (it will read the book to you if the author allows it) and the Nook does not have that.

What I'd really like is the ability to download books from the library and from what I gather so far the Sony is the only one that has that or the potential to have that.

I wish they would combine several of the features. I like the air card capability of the Kindles and Nooks, want the lending process of the Nook, would like the voice capability of the Kindle, and want to have borrowing-from-the-library capability.

I was buying books all the time, so really looked into the Kindle, then I heard about the Nook, and was trying to decide which I should tell MrCoz to get me for my birthday but realized that I've been getting way more books from the library than buying these days. One thing I would LOVE about any of them is the ability to take a ton of books on a trip without the actual baggage of all those books.

Kiz

I ordered my Kindle today. I get it Friday, just in time to start An Echo in the Bone. I can't wait!

We received my husband's IPad Monday, and while it's GREAT, it's definitely not a Kindle replacement. I got the smaller model (Kindle 2), because I want something I can easily slip into my purse. My husband was thinking that I might want an IPad too, but I think the Kindle will suit my needs better, and when I *need* quick internet access while traveling, I can always *borrow* his...lol

The information on this thread really was a huge help in making my decision between the Kindle and Nook. Thanks!
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

The Kindle has internet access - just not as colorful and flashy as the iPad. You know you can start loading it now with books before you even get it. If you want to load it with freebies for now (remember - it will store 1,500 books) go to amazon in the Kindle books section, pick a catagory and sort by "price - lowest to highest" in the top right hand corner. Can't wait to hear your reaction.

prhoshay - Kindle has the book Alone...Orphaned on the Ocean available for order.
    Count your blessings!

Kiz

Thanks for the tip, GM! I'm so excited about freebies, I can't even tell you...lol

On top of that bit of good news, I got my Kindle today, and I only ordered it yesterday!! I was supposed to get it Friday, but when I got home, it was sitting at my front door. I had already ordered An Echo in the Bone, so I got to start it first thing.

I turned off the wireless off, but I just leave it on sleep mode when not in use? Do you or can you ever shut it completely off?

I'm so gadget ignorant, and not only did we get the new IPad, I also got a new cell phone this week. I'm going crazy trying to sort my way through all the new technology. Thankfully, I have a teenage son at home to tutor me.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I put mine to sleep...that is the fully gray screen, not the one with a picture of Jane Austin or some such person....whenever I'm not reading, and I can usually go a couple of weeks between charges. I only leave the internet on when ordering---that definitely uses of the battery more quickly if you leave it on, although you'd still get several days of use even then. I charge it fully before plane flights and when I land as that's the only time I am likely to be reading for 5 or 6 hours at a stretch these days.
    I'm not even sure how to turn it completely off... guess I'd have to read my instruction book!

Kiz

PWS, I went back and reread a lot of the manual. It was a lot for me to digest the first go around. I missed how you turn it off (which, going to the full gray screen you mentioned is off it turns out), and I even attempted to search online for info on turning off the Kindle to no avail. But, after reading your post and going back to my manual, I found that I had almost turned my Kindle off, but I must have given up right before it turned off. Instinctively, I thought holding the power key in the sleep/off position would turn it off, but I must have let it slide back before it completely powered off. I just gave it a try after reading to hold it 4-5 secs, and I got the gray screen. Thanks for your help.

+ Reply to Thread