+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Sookie Stackhouse books

Kiz

Re: Sookie Stackhouse books

Thanks for filling in more of the background, Mike'sgirl.

One thing I had read on Harris' website is that she was adamant that she would never make Sookie a vampire and that she will age normally. She could always change her mind, but she seemed pretty dead set that the vamping of Sookie is not in the cards. As you mentioned, they could end up adding a new love for her down the line, but I think she'll end up with Sam as the books come full circle. Of course, having watched True Blood before reading the books, I have sort of tainted views of the characters.

All in all, I think Sookie is kind of hard on all the boys. Maybe Eric is the only one who can truly handle her...lol
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz;3688381;
    Thanks for filling in more of the background, Mike'sgirl.

One thing I had read on Harris' website is that she was adamant that she would never make Sookie a vampire and that she will age normally. She could always change her mind, but she seemed pretty dead set that the vamping of Sookie is not in the cards. As you mentioned, they could end up adding a new love for her down the line, but I think she'll end up with Sam as the books come full circle. Of course, having watched True Blood before reading the books, I have sort of tainted views of the characters.

All in all, I think Sookie is kind of hard on all the boys. Maybe Eric is the only one who can truly handle her...lol
    I actually thought and hoped that (Sookie and Sam would end up together) at the end of book 8, wasn't there something hinted about a special closeness shared between Sookie and Sam at that time? Anyway, I would be content with that as well.

RE: Sookie becoming a vampire.
    I do remember now that Ms Harris had said she would not let Sookie be turned, although I had forgotten it. (Thanks for the reminder!) At the time, I wondered if it was because Sookie had fairy blood in her. But, in book 8 or 7, I think I remember Eric/Quinn (?) someone, telling her that she had taken in so much Vampire blood over time, that she was dangerously close to turning; although, that is not the same as actually becoming a vampire. Perhaps, it was just a warning to lay off of the blood for awhile, or maybe it was said facetiously, and I didn't "get it".
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3688436;
    I actually thought and hoped that (Sookie and Sam would end up together) at the end of book 8, wasn't there something hinted about a special closeness shared between Sookie and Sam at that time? Anyway, I would be content with that as well.

RE: Sookie becoming a vampire.
    I do remember now that Ms Harris had said she would not let Sookie be turned, although I had forgotten it. (Thanks for the reminder!) At the time, I wondered if it was because Sookie had fairy blood in her. But, in book 8 or 7, I think I remember Eric/Quinn (?) someone, telling her that she had taken in so much Vampire blood over time, that she was dangerously close to turning; although, that is not the same as actually becoming a vampire. Perhaps, it was just a warning to lay off of the blood for awhile, or maybe it was said facetiously, and I didn't "get it".
    Sam and Sookie: There's been a thread of mutual fondness (or more) weaved throughout the series. The one thing I didn't get was Sam hooking up with the Maenad *after* seeing the scars from the vicious attack on Sookie's back (book 2). I know he was lonely for company and the ability to be himself (woof)..I had forgotten the time line until I just re-read book two..so, although Sookie seemed pretty understanding, that would be a deal breaker for me. I'm still rooting for Sam as a close second to Bill on True Blood though. I'm not so sure about Sam and Sookie being together in the end in the books now, but if she doesn't seem to be troubled by it, why should I? lol

Sookie becoming a vampire: Also, in book 2, Sookie noticed that after getting vampire blood from a few sources, that during the heat of passion () not only was Bill's skin was glowing, but hers was too. I'm not sure why Charlaine has been so vocal about Sookie not being turned, if for nothing else, to keep us guessing. Maybe she's throwing us a huge curve ball. I agree with you, that it seems like she was laying the groundwork for a possible Vampire Sookie.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3687136;
    Jim Butcher: Male author, and thus more of a male slant, but I did find them interesting. One or more of the Charlaine Harris short stories that are in books with other authors, contains short stories by Jim Butcher.

There is a series you might be interested in by Wendy Roberts, it's her Ghost Duster's series. Check them out at Amazon and see if it appeals to you. I surprised myself by really enjoying these. A family's supernatural ability is passed on to the lead character (female) where she uses it to help recently departed cross over.

Also, Victoria Laurie has her Psychic Eye series, and for a real life psychic, she writes very well.

On the Paranormal side - have you read any of Jayne Castle's (Jayne Ann Krentz) book's? She has some futuristic books, the title's could be misleading
    in that the Ghost Hunter's series is not strictly about ghosts as we would know it, but alien residue and her characters work with prisms and have super abilities. After generations, people have supernatural abilities due to the crystals abundant on the planet. She also has a trilogy Amaryllis, Orchid and Zinnia; where her characters all have special supernatural abilities due to the nature of the planet they are on. Humans that travel through space to a planet, and later the portal closes and everyone has to make a new life for themselves where the psychic talents are measured and graded. Mystery romance type books.

Any way, you might enjoy them, I did. Check out the customer reviews over at Amazon.
    Totally, love JAK and her Arcane Society. I am just rereading Shield's Lady, one of her very early futuristic's with a touch of the paranormal and it is interesting to see the beginnings of the author developing her ideas about pyschic powers, mental link with spouses and pets.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3688850;
    Totally, love JAK and her Arcane Society. I am just rereading Shield's Lady, one of her very early futuristic's with a touch of the paranormal and it is interesting to see the beginnings of the author developing her ideas about pyschic powers, mental link with spouses and pets.
    Thank you for mentioning this - Shield's Lady has been on my Amazon wish list for a long time now, and I've yet to order it. I will plan to put it in my cart now. Thank you! I love all her books, under her own name, and the alias's Jayne Castle and Amanda Quick. I was first introduced to her books though one of the Arcane Society books, and then gobbled up everything the library had.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3687862;
    [SPOILER]At the end of book 9,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Bill is nearly killed, so he's still trying to recover. I think it might mean "blood relative" in the "from the same maker" sense. Too bad Lorena's dead!

Oh, and yes, it's the one coming out in May
    Critical
    Click to see Spoiler:
    When I think blood relative could it not be a living relative aka that cop's family the one whose family name he hated and is now supporting now that he knows that he is related to them. The name escapes me though. Augh. ETA: Now I remember The Bellefleurs-Andy, Portia and Terry
    Last edited by paridy; 09-03-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Oh, good grief, paridy! I completely forgot that Bill is related to the Bellefleurs! You're absolutely right. Bill's worked pretty hard to keep that secret. What bombshell to find out that your money and newly refurbished house is all courtesy of, not just a vampire, but a vampire you're related to!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Have always thought Sam was the likely outcome for Sookie--they seem to want the same things out of life, they could have kids, they would both age... plus the only thing that's really kept them apart physically has been he's her boss, clearly they find each other attractive. Go, Sam! Not for a few more books, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3689681;
    Oh, good grief, paridy! I completely forgot that Bill is related to the Bellefleurs! You're absolutely right. Bill's worked pretty hard to keep that secret. What bombshell to find out that your money and newly refurbished house is all courtesy of, not just a vampire, but a vampire you're related to!
    I don't remember - do any of them know that Bill is a relation?
    I thought the Bellefeurs received their money anonymously.....?
    I would like to see Sookie's suitors start to move out of the picture with each book till the final.

The very fact that she has allowed Sookie to fall in love with other guys, seems to be telling viewers that Sookie is not secretly longing for Bill. I would be OK if he died. Although, I have no idea if that is possible - other then from the sun.
    Christopher Reeve

Premium Member

^^ No Mike'sgirl, I want Bill to stay. They can kill off Jason though, what a useless brother. Like him better in the show than in the books.

+ Reply to Thread