+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Sookie Stackhouse books

Re: Sookie Stackhouse books

mindy Have you also read Charlaine Harris Harper Connelly series? It has some supe stuff. Grave Sight is the first in her series and this is actually my favorite of all her books now.

Have you read all of Jim Butchers, Dresden Files series? That has supernatural, wizards, spells, vampires, etc. They are more adult oriented but fun reads. I've recently read his books and am watching the short lived TV series over the internet.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3686560;
    mindy Have you also read Charlaine Harris Harper Connelly series? It has some supe stuff. Grave Sight is the first in her series and this is actually my favorite of all her books now.

Have you read all of Jim Butchers, Dresden Files series? That has supernatural, wizards, spells, vampires, etc. They are more adult oriented but fun reads. I've recently read his books and am watching the short lived TV series over the internet.
    Hey Mike'sgirl ! I have read all the harper books (a new one is releasing soon, btw), in fact, I have all of the lily bard, sookie and harper books released to date. I can't, however, seem to get myself geared up for the A.Teargarden series...gotta have a supernatural element these days!

I will check out this dresden files business, though! thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3686728;
    Hey Mike'sgirl ! I have read all the harper books (a new one is releasing soon, btw), in fact, I have all of the lily bard, sookie and harper books released to date. I can't, however, seem to get myself geared up for the A.Teargarden series...gotta have a supernatural element these days!

Jim Butcher: Male author, and thus more of a male slant, but I did find them interesting. One or more of the Charlaine Harris short stories that are in books with other authors, contains short stories by Jim Butcher.

There is a series you might be interested in by Wendy Roberts, it's her Ghost Duster's series. Check them out at Amazon and see if it appeals to you. I surprised myself by really enjoying these. A family's supernatural ability is passed on to the lead character (female) where she uses it to help recently departed cross over.

Also, Victoria Laurie has her Psychic Eye series, and for a real life psychic, she writes very well.

On the Paranormal side - have you read any of Jayne Castle's (Jayne Ann Krentz) book's? She has some futuristic books, the title's could be misleading
    in that the Ghost Hunter's series is not strictly about ghosts as we would know it, but alien residue and her characters work with prisms and have super abilities. After generations, people have supernatural abilities due to the crystals abundant on the planet. She also has a trilogy Amaryllis, Orchid and Zinnia; where her characters all have special supernatural abilities due to the nature of the planet they are on. Humans that travel through space to a planet, and later the portal closes and everyone has to make a new life for themselves where the psychic talents are measured and graded. Mystery romance type books.

Any way, you might enjoy them, I did. Check out the customer reviews over at Amazon.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

The plot summary for book 10 - Dead in the Family, courtesy of ericnorthman.net:

Click to see Spoiler:
    Sookie Stackhouse has finally settled into a relationship with the Viking vampire Eric, and her errant brother Jason seems to have his life in order, too. But all the other people in Sookie’s life – Eric himself, her former lover Bill, her friend and boss Sam – are having family problems. Eric’s maker shows up with Eric’s ‘brother’ in tow, the ailing Bill can only be healed by a blood sibling, and Sam’s brother’s marriage is about to take place …or will it? The furor raised by the coming out of the two-natured has yet to settle; some people are just not ready to sit down to dinner with a man who turns into a dog. And Sookie herself is still recovering from her last ordeal. She’s definitely improving, physically and mentally, but she’s always going to have some dark moments now. The werewolves tell her that there have been strange and ominous passers-by in the Stackhouse woods; now Sookie is about to come face-to-face with one of her more distant relatives…

• EricNorthman{dot}Net • Your Ultimate Source •

I'm excited now, especially because it looks like
    Click to see Spoiler:
    she'll be staying with Eric, at least for now!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Oooooh, I can't wait. This is the one that is coming out next May, right?

Click to see Spoiler:
    Did I miss something? When did Bill becoome ailing, or is that in this new book? Where in the world will they find a blood sibling? Wouldn't they all be dead? And I would love to see Eric interact with his 'family'.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Quote Originally Posted by iguanachocolate;3687852;
    Oooooh, I can't wait. This is the one that is coming out next May, right?

Click to see Spoiler:
    Did I miss something? When did Bill becoome ailing, or is that in this new book? Where in the world will they find a blood sibling? Wouldn't they all be dead? And I would love to see Eric interact with his 'family'.
    At the end of book 9,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Bill is nearly killed, so he's still trying to recover. I think it might mean "blood relative" in the "from the same maker" sense. Too bad Lorena's dead!

Oh, and yes, it's the one coming out in May
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Kao

Click to see Spoiler:
    I think that the relative that Sookie is going to meet is that bat**** crazy half-elf that looks like Jason. In the last book Niann closed the gateway to Fairie, and all the fairies who were caught on the other side are forever trapped here.

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3687803;
    The plot summary for book 10 - Dead in the Family, courtesy of ericnorthman.net:

Click to see Spoiler:
    Sookie Stackhouse has finally settled into a relationship with the Viking vampire Eric, and her errant brother Jason seems to have his life in order, too. But all the other people in Sookie’s life – Eric himself, her former lover Bill, her friend and boss Sam – are having family problems. Eric’s maker shows up with Eric’s ‘brother’ in tow, the ailing Bill can only be healed by a blood sibling, and Sam’s brother’s marriage is about to take place …or will it? The furor raised by the coming out of the two-natured has yet to settle; some people are just not ready to sit down to dinner with a man who turns into a dog. And Sookie herself is still recovering from her last ordeal. She’s definitely improving, physically and mentally, but she’s always going to have some dark moments now. The werewolves tell her that there have been strange and ominous passers-by in the Stackhouse woods; now Sookie is about to come face-to-face with one of her more distant relatives…

• EricNorthman{dot}Net • Your Ultimate Source •

I'm excited now, especially because it looks like
    Click to see Spoiler:
    she'll be staying with Eric, at least for now!
    I checked out the link...be still my heart..lol

I have to say, Critical, you have it bad for Mr. Northman. I just don't understand why you want him with Sookie...save him for yourself!! If you don't take him, I will..

Even after reading the books, I'm still a Bill and Sookie fan. Eric has definitely grown on me, but I'm nothing if not loyal. I tend to stick with the first love. I've enjoyed the ride, but I hope she ends up in the arms of Bill. I tend to doubt that will happen.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz;3687991;
    I checked out the link...be still my heart..lol

I have to say, Critical, you have it bad for Mr. Northman. I just don't understand why you want him with Sookie...save him for yourself!! If you don't take him, I will..

Even after reading the books, I'm still a Bill and Sookie fan. Eric has definitely grown on me, but I'm nothing if not loyal. I tend to stick with the first love. I've enjoyed the ride, but I hope she ends up in the arms of Bill. I tend to doubt that will happen.
    While she was still writing Dead & Gone, she had mentioned a spoiler on her website - something about putting Sookie with one person, once and for all. She also had given out the spoiler about one of the two (Bill or Eric) not having much of a future with Sookie from that book on; but then a little while later, she commented that she had not fully decided on how she would end things. For the time being she knows who Sookie will end up with, but she reserves the right to change her mind. Before True Blood and her books started skyrocketing off the shelves; she had been planning her finish to the series. Now, of course she has signed on to a few more years of writing Sookie, so perhaps someone new might even enter ?????

IMO it would be very strange to have her go back with Bill, considering their history and his absence from much of the latter books (he's reduced to a supporting character). But, I go where Ms Harris leads me. Right now, I am happy Sookie and Eric have their bond/engagement - whatever. I would not be surprised if in the end Sookie becomes a vampire. I think it was written that she was very close (dangerously) to that in book 8 right?

Ohh THANKS Critical!!
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3686728;

The first chapter of Grave Secret is now up and available for reading at the Charlaine Harris site, for any Harper/Tolliver fans.

A.Teagarden series is the first (I think) written by Ms Harris, and she experimented with relationships. She did resolve the mystery series well (I thought) and loved how Aurora had grown through the books but as you say "gotta have a supernatural element these days". Me too!
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread