+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Sookie Stackhouse books

Re: Sookie Stackhouse books

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz;3678229;
    Thanks for the update on book 10, paridy. I'm trying to hold off buying book 9 until it goes to paperback. Since I just started the series last week, I'm hoping I don't have long to wait. Actually, I ended up reading 1 through 8 in just over a week, so I'm going to go back and read them again in a little more leisurely pace. The story lines kind have gotten jumbled in my head.
    There's also the book of Sookie short stories that comes out in October. I'm not sure if there's anything new (for those who've read them) or if they're just being compiled from various books of Charlaine's short stories. I'll definitely be buying it
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Kiz

Critical, I didn't realize there were several Sookie short stories written by Harris (thanks for the tip).

From Amazon I read that the following stories would be included in the compilation: "Fairy Dust," "One Word Answer," "Dracula Night," "Lucky," and "Gift wrap." On Harris' site, I read that "One Word Answer" (in the book Bite) adds background about Sookie's cousin Hadley and that it was the only story that directly affected the series. Because of the confusion it caused, she won't do that again.

Now, I'm really looking forward to the book of short stories, and I'm glad I came late to the party, because I'm so darn impatient!
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz;3678599;
    Critical, I didn't realize there were several Sookie short stories written by Harris (thanks for the tip).

From Amazon I read that the following stories would be included in the compilation: "Fairy Dust," "One Word Answer," "Dracula Night," "Lucky," and "Gift wrap." On Harris' site, I read that "One Word Answer" (in the book Bite) adds background about Sookie's cousin Hadley and that it was the only story that directly affected the series. Because of the confusion it caused, she won't do that again.

Now, I'm really looking forward to the book of short stories, and I'm glad I came late to the party, because I'm so darn impatient!
    She's written a number of Sookie short stories (including the one about Hadley that, YES, created a lot of confusion - I wondered if I skipped a book! ), but they were in various books of short stories, not all of which were about the Sookieverse. I hope there will be some new ones in that book too!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Regular

Sookie Stackhouse????
    who's the author????
    what is it about???

Quote Originally Posted by donnah fe;3679072;
    Sookie Stackhouse????
    who's the author????
    what is it about???
    Sookie is - I don't know, someone with the ability to read peoples thoughts (like Edward in Twilight). She has
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Fairy blood in her

The author is Charlaine Harris, and if you liked Twilight (and I think you do) then you may enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse series (about supernaturals, vampires, weres, fairies). There are many more books then what Stephenie Meyers wrote, so more books to read and enjoy. Also, did you know that Stephenie is a member of FORT (fansofrealiytv)? Her member name is spegs.

The first book in the Sookie series is called "Dead Until Dark" and we have a cable station (HBO) that has made it into a TV series called "True Blood".
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

PWS
    FORT Fogey

What's fun about the Sookie books, especially the early ones, is how well imagined the "world" is.... the downside of being able to read minds--e.g., your date's...or the customers where you waitress... and the vampire part includes vampires coming out of the closet as it were, once synthetic blood has been invented, and presenting themselves as just another disability group, with a genetic disorder that means they can only digest blood... and how not everyone welcomes this new "minority group".
    Although there is certainly plenty of romance in them that's not the focus in the way it is in the Twilight series---Sookie is in her 20's and has other problems in life, like paying the bills.
    I got into them thanks to FORT, and whipped through all the ones in paperback. If you like them, quite addictive! But DO read them in order!!!

FORT Fan

The first two books were still a lot of fun... but everything after that just destroyed the world that was built in the first one.

The first novel was set in a world not unlike our own. It had characters you could relate to, even if they were different from regular people. I'd be hard-pressed to find a telepathic waitress, but it sure is easy to find a girl who's going through the same things Sookie goes through emotionally in the first book.

The author seemed to add one fantastical element after the other, without really exploring them, or fitting them into the setting of the first book. Sookie Stackhouse world went from fun and realistic to weird and overly fantastical.

Anita Blake-syndrom if you will... when the author is just throwing stuff at the main character because each book needs to exceed in magical stuff. If the first one had three odd types, then the second one needs four or five, and the third one will need to get six or seven.

With each new revelation I see the characters suffer instead of grow. Harris stopped developping her cast, and just started adding bagage to the characters that further dragged them down.
    This is not a signature.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3679266;
    Sookie is - I don't know, someone with the ability to read peoples thoughts (like Edward in Twilight). She has
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Fairy blood in her

The author is Charlaine Harris, and if you liked Twilight (and I think you do) then you may enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse series (about supernaturals, vampires, weres, fairies). There are many more books then what Stephenie Meyers wrote, so more books to read and enjoy. Also, did you know that Stephenie is a member of FORT (fansofrealiytv)? Her member name is spegs.

The first book in the Sookie series is called "Dead Until Dark" and we have a cable station (HBO) that has made it into a TV series called "True Blood".
    really???
    thanksfor the info...hahaha....
    i'm really just a kod...know a little..want a little....
    thakzz....
    i'm not really aware of the movies.....not until i joined here..thanks so much...
    so stephanie meyer is a member here???
    really??i did'nt know that....thankzz really for the info/...........

Quote Originally Posted by Cairon;3682265;
    The first two books were still a lot of fun... but everything after that just destroyed the world that was built in the first one.

The first novel was set in a world not unlike our own. It had characters you could relate to, even if they were different from regular people. I'd be hard-pressed to find a telepathic waitress, but it sure is easy to find a girl who's going through the same things Sookie goes through emotionally in the first book.

The author seemed to add one fantastical element after the other, without really exploring them, or fitting them into the setting of the first book. Sookie Stackhouse world went from fun and realistic to weird and overly fantastical.

Anita Blake-syndrom if you will... when the author is just throwing stuff at the main character because each book needs to exceed in magical stuff. If the first one had three odd types, then the second one needs four or five, and the third one will need to get six or seven.

With each new revelation I see the characters suffer instead of grow. Harris stopped developping her cast, and just started adding bagage to the characters that further dragged them down.
    We agree to disagree
    I see all her Sookie books as fantasy and like the Harry Potter books - I enjoy the escape. I also have observed all of her characters growing, Eric enormously, Sookie - wow, she has come a long way from small town waitress. A woman who has certainly come into her own. Jason, well, the books were bringing out the worse in him, until #9 which has made him more like the person he has become on the True Blood series. (Finally, I am liking Jason again.) But, each person reads and perceives differently, and I respect your analysis.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I am in a bit of a pickle trying ot figure out what to read next! I flew through the Twilight series (there were some bumps for me with the characters but overall a good read) and the sookie books last(ed) about two days around here..but now?

Please provide suggestions!

Here are some books in/near the same genre that I adore:
    Sookie (Southern Vampire Series) (I should throw in that I really enjoyed Lily Bard as well)
    Twilight (my favorite was probably New Moon, and yes, I'm still a bit ticked about Jacob's storyline)
    The Sword of Truth Series
    Harry Potter
    Eragon
    Dune

I guess I am looking for new worlds with lots of 'supes.' I love Charlaine's humor, I enjoyed the overall plot of Harry Potter, and the diversity (characters, plot, different beings, mixing with the humans) in all of the above. And I may have a bit of a soft spot for vampires (particularly Eric).

HELP!... and Thanks ; )

HELP!

+ Reply to Thread