+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Sookie Stackhouse books

Re: Sookie Stackhouse books

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3516591;
    Personally I've always thought she'd wind up with Sam. .
    I haven't read Dead and Gone either, but I agree, I've always figured she'll end up with Sam, for all the reasons you listed. Sam is the closest to a normal life.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3519922;
    I loved Dead and Gone, it is my favorite of this series (although I love her Harper Connelly series even more)!

I was sad a few times in this series and cried quite a bit at the end of Dead & Gone but life is full of challenges, and I know that character growth and development are essential in her books. If you have read any of Charlaine Harris other series, she always resolves her books nicely when she ends the series. I always feel a big hurrah (Lily Bard, Aurora Teagarden and soon we will have the end of Harper Connelly series) when her characters have evolved and reach that place where conclusion is with satisfaction.

I also recommend the books be read in succession, and those of you that have just discovered this author are fortunate to have so many books available to you. I've had to wait on so many of her books that I gobble it up as soon as it is out. If you don't want to pay full price on a book, please check your local library as Charlaine Harris is "hot" now and is the must have author. I have adopted her in the national "adopt an author" program, which means I pay for the books at the greatly reduced library price, am the first to read the book, then get to include the purchased price as a taxable donation at end of each year.
    (If you can't walk by a book store or sale without buying something then I encourage you to consider adopting a favorite author through your library).
    I'm on the Library Board and have never heard of this program. It sounds terrific. Where can I find out more about it? Thanks
    To Thine Own Self Be True

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3531511;
    I haven't read Dead and Gone either, but I agree, I've always figured she'll end up with Sam, for all the reasons you listed. Sam is the closest to a normal life.
    Well, she has a planned end to the series so she probably wouldn't hook them up until the last book--we can still hope! Maybe Bill and Eric will get staked in an effort to protect Sookie, so there's no conflict for the readers.... Of course if I were Sam I wouldn't be thrilled about feeling that Sookie just picked me because her vampire lovers were dead.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3532552;
    Well, she has a planned end to the series so she probably wouldn't hook them up until the last book--we can still hope! Maybe Bill and Eric will get staked in an effort to protect Sookie, so there's no conflict for the readers.... Of course if I were Sam I wouldn't be thrilled about feeling that Sookie just picked me because her vampire lovers were dead.
    I agree, but thought it funny that we automatically think of vampires as alive, instead of dead as they think of themselves.
    I don't know how she will resolve this, but if I were Ms Harris and I wanted to keep Sookie human, I would match her with Sam. But, if she were to have Sookie become a vampire herself, then she could live a long, long time with Eric (I hope).
    Since Sam has been in love with her forever, I think he would not care if he were 2nd or 3rd fiddle. as long as the vamps were his only competition.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I guess if Sookie can live with his maenad moments he can live with her vampire past. At least her vamp boyfriends haven't actually attacked Sam (yet) (in the books I've read).

I actually did cave and buy Dead and Gone in hardcover. Luckily, the gal at B&N was super sweet and gave me the 20% member discount. I hate spending that much, but I'm impatient. I have to say, it's probably my second favorite in the series, the first being Dead to the World....can you tell I have a thing for Eric?

I'm not sure who I'd want her to end up with. Yes, Sam would be able to give her close to a normal life, but I wonder if that would be settling for her. At this point, she seems to have the strongest connection with Eric. I think she dumped Quinn because her heart wasn't in it and because she still had feelings for Eric.

I can understand that Charlaine may be getting bored with the same characters. Selfishly though, I don't want her to stop!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Premium Member

I hated the cliffhanger at the end, dang that Niall who was he talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by paridy;3590469;
    I hated the cliffhanger at the end, dang that Niall who was he talking about?
    I guess it didn't feel like a cliffhanger to me. Bill has told her he loves her many times - not a big surprise. I figured Niall was talking about Eric because that would have been the bigger revelation. He's just not good at telling her how he feels: he shows her. Look at all the things he's done for her: the driveway, the cell phone, the coat, the new door, all without her asking. Those were things she needed. He's given her his blood so many times when the only woman he'd given blood to before was Pam.

Maybe Niall meant Bill, but I immediately thought it was Eric I guess we'll have to wait and see!

The bigger "cliffhanger" for me was whether or not Dermot is still alive and in the human world. If he survived and got sealed out of the fae world, he could come back to get revenge on Sookie. That could be good plot-wise on several levels and it would be interesting to see how Jason reacts since they look alike.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3600853;
    I guess it didn't feel like a cliffhanger to me. Bill has told her he loves her many times - not a big surprise. I figured Niall was talking about Eric because that would have been the bigger revelation. He's just not good at telling her how he feels: he shows her. Look at all the things he's done for her: the driveway, the cell phone, the coat, the new door, all without her asking. Those were things she needed. He's given her his blood so many times when the only woman he'd given blood to before was Pam.

Maybe Niall meant Bill, but I immediately thought it was Eric I guess we'll have to wait and see!

The bigger "cliffhanger" for me was whether or not Dermot is still alive and in the human world. If he survived and got sealed out of the fae world, he could come back to get revenge on Sookie. That could be good plot-wise on several levels and it would be interesting to see how Jason reacts since they look alike.
    It wasn't a cliff hanger for me either - I was sure it was Eric. Remember Niall arranged to meet Sookie the first time with Eric's help. I also think Niall has been aware of how Eric felt for a long time, and was waiting for Sookie to get engaged to him before expressing his approval of Eric. Both Bill and Eric were willing to die for her, so the fact that Bill came close to dying didn't give him an edge over Eric and Niall was probably well aware of the other things regarding Sophie; since Niall was watching over her for some time. IMO.

Up until this book, I always thought Sookie would end up with Sam as they would be aging at same pace. Only way Eric and Sookie could stay together would be "if" she became a vamp as well. Is that even possible? In one of the books C. Harris mentioned Sookie was dangerously close to it due to all the Vampire blood she has taken; but she does have fairy in her and I thought fairy blood while mesmerizing and desirable to vampires is also fatal. (???) I guess we have to wait and see.

Charlaine just signed a new contract committing herself to three books in addition to the ones she is already under contract for, taking her to the year 2014.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar

Count me in on the I believe it was Eric that Niall was talking about bandwagon. My reasons are that Eric came as close to telling Sookie that he loved her as he could when he said the only other woman he's asked to live with him was Pam. I think Niall was trying to reassure Sookie that Eric does love her and will be there to protect her no matter what happens in the future.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

+ Reply to Thread