+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Sookie Stackhouse books

Re: Sookie Stackhouse books

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    Ok, I finished the book on break at work...lol. It did get better as I went along. I can't say I didn't like it but I really didn't love it like I've loved the others in the series. One thing I noticed....the author wasn't as descriptive as she usually is and most of the juicy stuff seemed rushed. So many characters didn't even make an appearance in the book at all, or barely for some of them. It was kind of weird.
    I'm about a month behind the rest of you, but I finally read this one. And I totally agree about it feeling rushed. Like she just cranked it out without all the detail the series usually has...I didn't dislike the book (the beginning was awfully slow), but it's not my favorite of the series.
    JavaJo likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lilcountriegal View Post
    Harper Connelly is also my second favorite series to Sookie. What I DIDNT like about that series is that most of the time (with the exception of one of hte latter books), you had the "who'dun it" figured out within the first few chapters (at least I did). However, this series has great potential and I wish she'd pick it back up and toss a few more books in it. Even tho they were easy to figure out, I thoroughly enjoyed reading them.
    I suspect she's under pressure to stay on the Sookie train right now, what with the TV show and all, and ride it to the end. Maximizing profits and all. Maybe once she finishes with Sookie...

Has anyone read the Sookie Stackhouse Companion? I was dissapointed with the Sookie short stories that was released earlier this year.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

So, sucker that I am, I went and pre-ordered the next Sookie book, due out 5/1 - Deadlocked. I wasn't thrilled with the last one, but I might as well stick it out until the series dies. Hoping this next installment is a bit better!
    JavaJo likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    So, sucker that I am, I went and pre-ordered the next Sookie book, due out 5/1 - Deadlocked. I wasn't thrilled with the last one, but I might as well stick it out until the series dies. Hoping this next installment is a bit better!
    I can't remember the titles off hand, but I liked the last book. It was the one before that I felt was phoned in. I've really cooled on the series though. I'll probably buy the next book, but I'm not in a hurry like I was in the past.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

You can tell when an author is running out of plots or is getting burned out on a character...their writing suffers. Same thing is happening with Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. The newer ones aren't bad, they just aren't as good as the earlier ones.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Anyone reading the new book? I'm seriously not liking it. The writing is terrible and rushed. I'll finish it because I paid for it but I really think it will be my last.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

It's not in my budget at the moment, so I'll be waiting a while. I'm not surprised that it's not great. Authors often can't sustain quality in a series, especially a popular one where their editor and fans are clamoring for a new book instantly. Anne Rice used to be a good writer, but then she started putting out what I call "first draft novels."

I'll read the new book, but maybe not in hardcover.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I read the newest one out of obligation got it on my kindle. I've read all the rest of them too and really honestly felt the series was having trouble with sustaining at some point after book 4 and especially after she really started A LOT of characters and creatures and what not. Because i was never into the fairy story lines this book did nothing for me. It didn't even really move the interpersonal relationships anywhere that i like to read about in these books. I feel sometimes, to a degree, the show is influencing her writing sometimes. I really felt that in the last book which I also didn't like a whole lot either but feel it in this book as well.

My main complaint as always with this series is that there are so many characters and I just don't care about them. I sitting there scratching my head trying to differentiate Alcide and Quinn at one point which I could do when they were each first introduced but now that we've gone into so many of the rest of the weres and like 500 fairies each with a name. Not to mention the small army of vampires and hten the humans who I also couldn't keep straight. Forget it.

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    Anyone reading the new book? I'm seriously not liking it. The writing is terrible and rushed. I'll finish it because I paid for it but I really think it will be my last.
    Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I read the newest one out of obligation got it on my kindle. I've read all the rest of them too and really honestly felt the series was having trouble with sustaining at some point after book 4 and especially after she really started A LOT of characters and creatures and what not. Because i was never into the fairy story lines this book did nothing for me. It didn't even really move the interpersonal relationships anywhere that i like to read about in these books. I feel sometimes, to a degree, the show is influencing her writing sometimes. I really felt that in the last book which I also didn't like a whole lot either but feel it in this book as well.

My main complaint as always with this series is that there are so many characters and I just don't care about them. I sitting there scratching my head trying to differentiate Alcide and Quinn at one point which I could do when they were each first introduced but now that we've gone into so many of the rest of the weres and like 500 fairies each with a name. Not to mention the small army of vampires and hten the humans who I also couldn't keep straight. Forget it.
    Thanks for the critiques. I think I'll pass on the new book then, unless I happen to pick it up at the library. I kind of thought she was picking up steam again in her last book after the one before that was such a dud. Unlike Sookie, I don't want to bitten twice.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

+ Reply to Thread