+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Sookie Stackhouse books

Re: Sookie Stackhouse books

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I finished Real Murders (see above) and realized it is the first in a series of about 6 books with that heroine...plus there are one or two other series as well! Who knew!
    I'll have to check those out!
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I finished Real Murders (see above) and realized it is the first in a series of about 6 books with that heroine...plus there are one or two other series as well! Who knew!
    Me
    I think Aurora Teagarden series might have been the first series she wrote, or maybe it was the Shakespeare Series (with Lily Bard)? I think Lily was the second series she wrote, and Lily and Jack appear twice in the Sookie Stackhouse series..... the 2nd time is in Dead Reckoning. It was fun to see Lily and Jack return. I love all of Ms Harris' series.
    I've mentioned the other book series in the past, but at a time before Charlaine Harris became a household name.
    To date, my favorite series is her Harper Connelly Series, which has a slight supernatural flavor.

I enjoyed Dead Reckoning and would agree it was a little slow in the beginning, then moved along fast. Harris seems to be getting ready to tie up loose ends. I don't remember how many books are left in the series, but it feels as if it will be coming to resolution soon. At least in this book she clarifies who will not be Sookie's true love.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl View Post
    At least in this book she clarifies who will not be Sookie's true love.
    Oh, I hope I won't be disappointed.

Haven't started this one yet, I have to finish my current book first. I hate having more than one going. Though it's tempting!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    Kiz...around the 55% mark the book really started to pick up. It's sounding more and more like Charlaine actually wrote it. I'm going to put a couple of things in spoiler tags....nothing that will give away anything major but some little details. Ignore it if you don't want to know anything. I'll try to word it so it's nothing you wouldn't learn if you were reading the back cover of a book...lol

Also, is anyone else reading this? It would be nice to give Kiz another Point of view to draw from. After all, this is only my personal opinion.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Amelia and Bob reappear. She has a spell that can change Sookie's relationship with Eric. Not necessarily for the worse, but change it all the same. Sookie also learns more about the fae and how some things work. Debbie's sister is out for revenge and Eric and Pam are at odds with each other. Also, Sookie finds something her grandmother left for her that is pretty interesting. When she finds it...well that is the turning point of the book for me...when it really starts to improve. A new character that I enjoy and wish had a bigger role is someone who Eric calls in to help Sookie. His sister has an important role to Pam. And that's really all I can say without giving anything away.
    oooh....thanks! I've really enjoyed your recaps, JavaJo. I'm finishing up a book for my book club, and now I can't wait to get started on Dead Reckoning. You're minor spoiler is very intriguing.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Ok, I finished the book on break at work...lol. It did get better as I went along. I can't say I didn't like it but I really didn't love it like I've loved the others in the series. One thing I noticed....the author wasn't as descriptive as she usually is and most of the juicy stuff seemed rushed. So many characters didn't even make an appearance in the book at all, or barely for some of them. It was kind of weird.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.

Kiz

Thanks again for your reviews, JavaJo. I finished Dead Reckoning this evening, and I really enjoyed it. I was kind of over the Sookie books after her last novel, but this one was much better, at least in my opinion. As you mentioned earlier, I wasn't glued to it like the earlier books in the series, but I felt this one had a lot of "meat" and answered several ongoing questions, and opened up some new story lines. I'm glad I gave Dead Reckoning a chance.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz View Post
    Thanks again for your reviews, JavaJo. I finished Dead Reckoning this evening, and I really enjoyed it. I was kind of over the Sookie books after her last novel, but this one was much better, at least in my opinion. As you mentioned earlier, I wasn't glued to it like the earlier books in the series, but I felt this one had a lot of "meat" and answered several ongoing questions, and opened up some new story lines. I'm glad I gave Dead Reckoning a chance.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it! It did get better for me about halfway through. The beginning just seemed a little off. Honestly, I think she's getting tired of writing these books. I just read the latest in the Women's Murder Mystery books by James Patterson. It's the 10th one and I felt the same way about it. It just wasn't as smooth as the previous books.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Am now starting the Lily in Shakespeare series!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Finished the Lily Bard series, and read the Harper Connelly series (4 books with heroine who can find dead people---and tell how they died---but not see who killed them if they were murdered--so she and her step brother manager travel the country looking for missing people or checking to see if the dead died the way the death certificate said, for a living)---as a result of being hit by lightening when she was a teen. I think Harper is my 2nd favorite to Sookie of all her heroines. Just to tidy things up also read Sweet & Deadly, a non-supernatural book that was her first book. Nothing like as good as her later work, but it was interesting to see her growth as a writer and early signs.
    Lily Bard (non-supe karate expert who makes her living as a cleaning lady post a notorious rape when she was a teen) and Harper both have very troubled pasts and struggle to form good relationships. You can see how Harper's career would lead to difficulties with ordinary men---as Sookie's abilities did with ordinary men, but Lily also has issues that get in her way.
    As with all her series you should read them in order, or you will know too much about what went on in earlier books.
    Last edited by PWS; 06-08-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Finished the Lily Bard series, and read the Harper Connelly series (4 books with heroine who can find dead people---and tell how they died---but not see who killed them if they were murdered--so she and her step brother manager travel the country looking for missing people or checking to see if the dead died the way the death certificate said, for a living)---as a result of being hit by lightening when she was a teen. I think Harper is my 2nd favorite to Sookie of all her heroines. Just to tidy things up also read Sweet & Deadly, a non-supernatural book that was her first book. Nothing like as good as her later work, but it was interesting to see her growth as a writer and early signs.
    Lily Bard (non-supe karate expert who makes her living as a cleaning lady post a notorious rape when she was a teen) and Harper both have very troubled pasts and struggle to form good relationships. You can see how Harper's career would lead to difficulties with ordinary men---as Sookie's abilities did with ordinary men, but Lily also has issues that get in her way.
    As with all her series you should read them in order, or you will know too much about what went on in earlier books.
    Harper Connelly is also my second favorite series to Sookie. What I DIDNT like about that series is that most of the time (with the exception of one of hte latter books), you had the "who'dun it" figured out within the first few chapters (at least I did). However, this series has great potential and I wish she'd pick it back up and toss a few more books in it. Even tho they were easy to figure out, I thoroughly enjoyed reading them.

+ Reply to Thread