+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Sookie Stackhouse books

Kiz

Re: Sookie Stackhouse books

Has anyone read Dead Reckoning yet and care to comment on it? I was really disappointed in the last installment of the Sookie books and felt I'd wasted my money. However, I appreciate that anyone can have one blip (imho - flop, but I'm sure there are those who enjoyed it, so I'll stick with blip) in an overall enjoyable and entertaining series. But, I'm a little gun shy about purchasing this one until I hear what others think. Thanks!
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

I'm reading it now. Just started it yesterday so I'm not too far into it yet. I'll give you a review when I finish it.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Kiz

Thanks, JavaJo. I hope you enjoy it!

Ok...this one is hard to read. I'm pushing through it because I love the series and because I paid good money for this on my Kindle...lol. It's weird. The interaction between Sookie and Sam seems 'off'. Honestly, it seems hastily written and I'm nowhere near the end yet. Definitely not enjoying this one like I have the others. At least not yet. I'm hoping it improves. I'm only 17% of the way into it and it's a struggle to keep going. All of her other books I read within 48 hours. Usually less. Bleh.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.

Kiz

I'm really bummed out to hear that, JavaJo. I was like you with the first nine books and even the short stories; I couldn't put them down. Then last year, I was disappointed with Dead in the Family, because I knew CH was so much better than that. I held hope that book 10 was a precursor and that book 11 would make things right. I'll hold out hope that the book gets significantly more interesting as you plow your way through it, and that the old magic resurfaces.

It's improving a little bit. There is one part involving a desk that I really loved. I won't spoil it in case you decide to read it. The writing is starting to sound more in character, too, but still not quite all the way there yet. I'm about half way through it now.

Kiz

I'm glad to hear that it's starting to improve. I really appreciate your updates. Some books take a little time to lay groundwork, so I'm holding out hope.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm reading another CH book....about a librarian...nothing supernatural at all! It's called Real Murders, about a librarian (the heroine) who's a member of a club that meets once a month to discuss famous real murders such as Jack the RIpper or Lizzie B....and then someone starts killing people in ways that imitate the famous murders. It's enjoyable, and the heroine has some similar traits (non-supernatural) to Sookie at the start...e.g., not much of a love life at all that morphs into what seem to be at least two interesting men being interested.

Kiz...around the 55% mark the book really started to pick up. It's sounding more and more like Charlaine actually wrote it. I'm going to put a couple of things in spoiler tags....nothing that will give away anything major but some little details. Ignore it if you don't want to know anything. I'll try to word it so it's nothing you wouldn't learn if you were reading the back cover of a book...lol

Also, is anyone else reading this? It would be nice to give Kiz another Point of view to draw from. After all, this is only my personal opinion.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Amelia and Bob reappear. She has a spell that can change Sookie's relationship with Eric. Not necessarily for the worse, but change it all the same. Sookie also learns more about the fae and how some things work. Debbie's sister is out for revenge and Eric and Pam are at odds with each other. Also, Sookie finds something her grandmother left for her that is pretty interesting. When she finds it...well that is the turning point of the book for me...when it really starts to improve. A new character that I enjoy and wish had a bigger role is someone who Eric calls in to help Sookie. His sister has an important role to Pam. And that's really all I can say without giving anything away.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I finished Real Murders (see above) and realized it is the first in a series of about 6 books with that heroine...plus there are one or two other series as well! Who knew!

+ Reply to Thread