+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Sookie Stackhouse books

Re: Sookie Stackhouse books

Quote Originally Posted by raisinthesun;3966659;
    So Im in the middle of the 2nd book (Living Dead in Dallas) and had a question. Is the so-called witch from Season 2 of True Blood suppose to be the maenad character in book 2? Also I'm still a little confused by her character--she's attracted to bars?? Thats why Sookie warned Sam about her?
    Marianne was a maenad on the show as well, they just expanded her part. As a follower of Dionysus, she's attracted to chaos and situations where people lower their inhibitions.

I didnt watch season 2 of True Blood all the way thru so i dont know how her character turned out on the show but i do seem to remember that the show portrayed her as a rather attractive female and the book describes her as hideous--i kinda wish the tv show had shown her as an ugly character, it would have made her much more scary.
    I don't know, I think it's scarier to have someone who is incredibly evil, but is physically beautiful. Marianne was able to draw so many people in with her charm and beauty. If she'd looked like an ogre, everyone would have seen her coming!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think the Stackhouse books/True Blood are going to diverge more widely every season of the tv show. And I like both versions! But it does get a little confusing.

FORT Newbie

Thanks to you both, Critical and liz_momof2, for getting me straightened out. I'm enjoying both the tv series and the book series and doing my best to take each one as a separate entity. Sometimes, though, I just have to get my facts straight between them.

old cow

Living Dead in Dallas:

So i just finished this book. I liked it but didnt love it. Here's some problems i had: first i didnt like how the author introduced the murder of Lafayette in the book, made such a big to-do about it, and then simply forgot about it until the end of the book. While i did enjoy the stuff that happened in Dallas it would have been much more interesting if the Godric/Godfrey & Farrell disapperance somehow tied into what happened in Bon Temps.

Also im not liking how the author is portraying Sookie. I dont hate her character really but sometimes i just get tired of hearing her describe her boobs, blonde hair, and thongs in detail--yick. Also she kinda comes across as sometimes ungrateful, sometimes a dim wit who is always in some sort of trouble, sometimes a conservative prude, and sometimes a sex crazed ho'. BUt i think i can understand the sex crazed part if the author is trying to indicate that what happened with Hugo & Isabella (hugo becoming addicted to sex with a vampire) is what is happening with Sookie. Not sure on that though. I can forgive Sookie's whack fashion sense as simply she's from a small southern town, not very cultured, and this book was written in 2002. (honestly banana clips and lace up the side jeans?!)

And can we please give Bill something more to do than just screw Sookie's brains out?! Jeez this guy is really a bore. If this is how its gonna be with him, bring on Eric. He is so much interesting and entertaining.

So my question is does the author improve on her protrayal of Bill and Sookie in the rest of the series? Does Erick get bigger parts? And do Tara, Sam, and Jason become more than just side characters? Are the rest of the books in the series worth reading?

Quote Originally Posted by raisinthesun;3971978;
    Living Dead in Dallas:

Also im not liking how the author is portraying Sookie. I dont hate her character really but sometimes i just get tired of hearing her describe her boobs, blonde hair, and thongs in detail--yick. Also she kinda comes across as sometimes ungrateful, sometimes a dim wit who is always in some sort of trouble, sometimes a conservative prude, and sometimes a sex crazed ho'. BUt i think i can understand the sex crazed part if the author is trying to indicate that what happened with Hugo & Isabella (hugo becoming addicted to sex with a vampire) is what is happening with Sookie. Not sure on that though. I can forgive Sookie's whack fashion sense as simply she's from a small southern town, not very cultured, and this book was written in 2002. (honestly banana clips and lace up the side jeans?!)

And can we please give Bill something more to do than just screw Sookie's brains out?! Jeez this guy is really a bore. If this is how its gonna be with him, bring on Eric. He is so much interesting and entertaining.

So my question is does the author improve on her protrayal of Bill and Sookie in the rest of the series? Does Erick get bigger parts? And do Tara, Sam, and Jason become more than just side characters? Are the rest of the books in the series worth reading?
    Sookie changes throughout the books but not much. I think her attitude about herself (especially early in the series) is based on living her entire life as the hot but weird girl. I think when you hear through people's minds about how hot/beautiful you are and they would love to be you/have sex with you if you just weren't so weird, you start to believe there isn't much to you BUT that.

Bill gets more of a storyline; however, it's not pleasant and doesn't change him much from being a boring character. I prefer tv Bill over book Bill.

Eric definitely gets bigger parts later on, MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger parts. I am much more of an Eric fan than a Bill fan 10 books into the series. Actually, I think I prefer Eric even over Sookie.

Tara, Sam, and Jason almost always stay on the edge of the story for the most part. They do have larger roles in places but their roles are no where what they are in the tv series.

I'm so late to this party it's ridiculous, but I JUST started reading the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series and am enjoying myself immensely. Light, fun, and absolutely absorbing, it is perfect reading material in this scorching weather. I will undoubtedly have read the whole series soon and will get back to you with comments when I'm up to par with you guys.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Kao

Finally got the latest book from the library after a 3- month wait. Go, me!

What's interesting about this book is the subtle things Charlaine placed in this one as a set-up for the next book, and the thing that sticks out the most is there's some sort of weird transference thing going on between Sookie and Eric that even they aren't aware of. He's becoming more like her, while Sookie is becoming more like Eric. It will be very interesting to see where Charlaine goes with this.

I just preordered the upcoming Sookie book Dead Reckoning (due out in May) from Amazon. I had no idea there was a new one coming out! I'm glad I went to browse the bargain books, this one just popped up on my recommended list.

The first chapter is available as a sneak peek:

Chapt 1: Dead Reckoning – Charlaine Harris

Off to read...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Argh! I wish I had waited to read that chapter. Now I have to wait almost three months for the rest of the book!

Charlaine also has The Sookie Stackhouse Companion coming out in August, as well as a Sookie story in a compilation of stories called Home Improvement that comes out in August too.

I guess this means that if I'm really unhappy with the direction of True Blood in season 4, I'll have some books to console me!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I just preordered the upcoming Sookie book Dead Reckoning (due out in May) from Amazon. I had no idea there was a new one coming out! I'm glad I went to browse the bargain books, this one just popped up on my recommended list.

The first chapter is available as a sneak peek:

Chapt 1: Dead Reckoning Charlaine Harris

Off to read...
    Oh God...WHY DID I READ IT? WHY WHY WHY!?

+ Reply to Thread