+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Sookie Stackhouse books

Re: Sookie Stackhouse books

I enjoyed the book, it wasn't my favorite in the series but I like being in Sookie's head so The ending felt abrupt and well, as if Ms Harris just wanted to be done with it. There was another book somewhere in the middle that wrapped up storylines but didn't have much pizazz. I am OK with that once in awhile. I like that Bill and Sookie relationship has reached a comfortable resolution. I like Jason much more than in prior books.

With all of her series, I've always thought she resolved each very nicely in the end and I have confidence that she will do that with Sookie but I am wondering if the series has gone on a little too long.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I just finished Dead in the Family today, and I have to say I was a little disappointed. The novel felt like a bunch of short stories that were combined and they're was no uniting theme. I think this book was just kind of setting up a huge Vampire war between Eric/Sookie/Pam and Victor.

I really enjoyed the time Sookie spent with her cousin Hunter. That was a very sweet and funny interlude, but I was totally afraid some dead body would show up while he was there.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

And there's a link to an article on the Twilight series (attacking the writing style, and trying to explain their success) which states they are set in the eastern US. Nothing like reading the series before trashing it. I think you only have to get a page or two into the first book to learn it is set in the state of Washington.... and the state and its climate are very important to the series...

FORT Newbie

I'm a big fan of both the books and the tv show. However, I keep getting the facts from the 2 mixed up. Eric's maker of course is a major character in Dead in the Family. This is where my confusion kicks in. I thought that the very old but young looking vampire--the one who was an ancient Egyptian or something--who went to the sun was Eric's maker. At one point on the show, he was shown with Eric just before Eric died in a Viking battle. Was he in the books, or was he just added to the show? Was he depicted as Eric's maker on True Blood? Was he a character in the books? At some point I'm going to have to have a marathon and go back and watch all the shows and also read all the books back to back. For now, though, can someone get me straightened out about these 2 characters?

In the books, the character of Godfrey isn't Eric's maker. He's not even a sympathetic character. Probably the only similarities between him and Godric on the show is that he was at the Fellowship of the Sun Church and met the sun with Sookie watching.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

The books and the tv show got a lot of the Dallas info switched around. Godfrey was a vampire from Dallas who had willingly consented to "meet the light" for the Fellowship of the Sun people. He was a child molester prior to being turned and pretty much continued his ways throughout his vampire life...he was done with his life and basically committing suicide. Godfrey was not the head of the Dallas vampires nor was he Eric's maker. Stan was the sheriff of Dallas (and pretty sure he may have been king of Texas??) and NOT the renegade cowboy they made him in the show, he looked like a total nerd in the books right down to a pocket protector. GODRIC was Eric's maker in True Blood and the sheriff of the Dallas group.

Editing to add: He was slightly sympathetic in the books because I believe he DID save Sookie.

Quote Originally Posted by liz_momof2;3964062;
    The books and the tv show got a lot of the Dallas info switched around. Godfrey was a vampire from Dallas who had willingly consented to "meet the light" for the Fellowship of the Sun people. He was a child molester prior to being turned and pretty much continued his ways throughout his vampire life...he was done with his life and basically committing suicide. Godfrey was not the head of the Dallas vampires nor was he Eric's maker. Stan was the sheriff of Dallas (and pretty sure he may have been king of Texas??) and NOT the renegade cowboy they made him in the show, he looked like a total nerd in the books right down to a pocket protector. GODRIC was Eric's maker in True Blood and the sheriff of the Dallas group.

Editing to add: He was slightly sympathetic in the books because I believe he DID save Sookie.
    Yep, that's pretty much the only sympathetic thing about him!

Stan was still just the sheriff of Dallas in book two. He became King of Texas later.

old cow

So Im in the middle of the 2nd book (Living Dead in Dallas) and had a question. Is the so-called witch from Season 2 of True Blood suppose to be the maenad character in book 2? Also I'm still a little confused by her character--she's attracted to bars?? Thats why Sookie warned Sam about her?

I didnt watch season 2 of True Blood all the way thru so i dont know how her character turned out on the show but i do seem to remember that the show portrayed her as a rather attractive female and the book describes her as hideous--i kinda wish the tv show had shown her as an ugly character, it would have made her much more scary.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

This is the point at which you should pretty much give up trying to relate the two versions of Sookie's life! I'm sure you noticed the difference in what happened to Lafayette.... That shows you how unrelated the two versions are---it can either drive you nuts, or you can just decide that two different writers took the same premises/characters and drove them in different directions, along the way changing some of the characters and premises!

+ Reply to Thread