+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Sookie Stackhouse books

Re: Sookie Stackhouse books

Okay, weighing in on this now that some more of you have read the book.

I personally liked the book A LOT. Yes, it wasn't as action packed as the more recent ones but after the craziness of the past few books, I was glad that Sookie had a breather from everything. She didn't get shot, staked, mauled, attacked, captured, tortured, really anything bad; in fact, she fought a vampire and WON. I was happier to see some character development and that some of the characters are maturing and changing. I was left very unsettled after DAG and was really hoping for many of the story lines to be resolved and new ones to be opened. This book accomplished that for me. Victor is still an issue and now we get to add the dynamic of Dermot and Claude being active parts of Sookie's life.

The ending of the book WAS a bit odd to me but I think Sookie has longed for a familial relationship since the death of Gran. She briefly got it with Niall but now he has gone.

Overall, I am pleased with the book and felt it was much more light-hearted and "playful" than the recent ones but I think Sookie needed that because she has become a very dark individual with all that has happened in her life.

See I'm not a fan of the action parts of the books but the interpersonal relationships in the books and I think my issue was the filler as well. There was no action which I'm kind of indifferent to and then there was no real character building. I'm finding either due to my age or due to do my attention that keeping all the characters straight gets more difficult as we go on here book to book for me.

But yeah the relationship aspect was missing for me. Other than fleshing out Claude. That was good for me.

Well, it's good to see I'm not the only one who wasn't impressed. I didn't like Eric's maker showing up and still can't figure out the reason for that...unless it was simply for Eric to have his "freedom." Or for filler. Regardless, I didn't care for that storyline.

I'm not sure when the next book will come out but based on the way this one ended, I'm guessing Sookie and Eric will break up. Their blood bond was weakened after what happened and also, I think the whole thing with his maker will affect their relationship too much. And maybe what Pam said to her will come into play. Of course, Bill will have a new love interest. Does that leave Sam for Sookie? Alcide? Maybe Remy? Or someone new?
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

You know thinking about it I could have done completely without the Eric's maker story line with the 2 new characters (short lived as they were). Or at least had it covered in far less pages. I felt like this book could have been shrunk down into many few pages and used as a part in a new story but as a stand alone story it just didn't work for me.

I finished it a few hours ago and, while I didn't love it the way I love some of the other books, I still really enjoyed it. Any Sookieverse is better than none, I guess. After the extremely intense storyline of the last book, this one was always going to be more low-key. I mean, if Sookie gets beaten up too much and Eric gives her too much of his blood to heal, then we're in dangerous territory and Charlaine has always maintained that she wouldn't have any vamp turn Sookie.

It felt like a lot of little plot points from previous books were explored or wrapped up. We learned more about Bill and how Lorena turned him and he was healed by Judith after those injuries from the fae war. We learned a lot more about Eric and his maker, whose death freed Eric. Dermot is, for now, not a threat and Sookie has two family members she really didn't think she could count on before. I still don't trust Claude completely - I don't think Sookie does either - but it's nice to know he's not a complete jerk.

We also have the groundwork laid for the next book with the war against Weres and other two-natured amping up. What will Victor do now and is he a tool of Felipe's or is he acting on his own? Will Judith stay with Bill or are his feeling not as strong as hers? Will the fact that their bond has lessened mean that Eric and Sookie will split?

Sometimes, when an author gets a lot of notoriety, they start being very self-conscious. Anne Rice is a good example of this: when her books got really popular, her writing went down hill and she started churning out what I call "first draft novels" - published quickly and with very little substance or quality. I hope this doesn't happen to Charlaine. Even though I'm already eager to read the next book, I want her to take her time and write a good book and not just release something quickly to capitalize on public demand.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I always felt like Anne Rice started pumping out novels to appease fans instead of writing solid novels. And I always kind of wondered what was going to happen as the popularity of True Blood took of as it pertained to Charlaine's Sookie stories. I wondered if she was going to start writing for the TV fans to appease them or keep writing for the fans of the book.

I'd prefer to not have heavy action packed novels and Charlaine used to do very well with the quiet moments in her books. But it felt like the tone of this novel changed. Like she had lost her relationship with her own characters.

I hope that's not what is happening to Charlaine. The other author who just started churning out crap is Patricia Cornwell. Her books used to be good, solid fiction, but when she started getting more attention, her writing went down the tubes.

This book felt like it just needed some more editing. I thought there were a few too many storylines being dealt with and there wasn't one big one to finish the book with. The end with Alexei and the fairies wasn't....enough. Charlaine has always had multiple stories going on, but there was also always one big storyline that ran through the whole book. This time, I just didn't feel she ever got there. I kept waiting for the "Big Bad" (to borrow a Buffy term) to show and it never did. I still enjoyed the book, but it wasn't as satisfying as some of her others.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The Alexei storyline in general just felt so out of place to me. She has a plethora of characters at this point to work with. Introducing Eric's creator was an interesting choice but that character was never really fleshed out (from what I read... and granted I wasn't extremely engaged in this book). And then there was this other Alexei character just floating around out there. And I kind of shook my head thinking you know of all the characters and story lines and possibilities out there she introduced and then killed off these ones.

I felt there was no over riding theme in this book too. Lots of ancillary things tied up but no theme. And like I said before these are story lines that could have been tied up in far fewer pages as parts of other books with more character development of already existing characters. Existing characters are becoming almost an after thought.

I felt the last book was loosing some of it's grip on the over all tone of the series too to a degree.

Kiz

After finishing Dead in the Family, I can't help but feeling Charlaine wrote an outline for this book, and failed to develop much more than that. Some interesting characters were introduced and reintroduced, without much substance. Sookie tends to ramble on about inconsequential topics which is great and part of her charm *if* it's only background noise.

For instance, Charlaine could have gone more into detail about Eric and Sookie's relationship following the aftermath of the Fae war, but we got little more than a snapshot of the fact that Sookie was having trouble letting free in bed with Eric, was finally able to, and that was that. I loved Sookie's storyline with Claude, but it did very little than spark. Claude and Hunter together was also sweet. I wanted to know how Alcide handled the betrayal of trust between him and Annabelle, but Charlaine had Jason and Sookie leave because Jason didn't want to witness the punishment. I was left curious how Alcide would handle Annabelle, who more than likely wasn't going to be killed for her indiscretion, but would face punishment nonetheless. That's all well and good for those with fill in the blank imaginations, but I wanted some of the blanks filled in. I was happy that Sookie was instrumental in helping Bill reconnect with Judith. I was left wondering about Sam's new relationship with Jannalynn. She's going to be a whole lot of werewolf for a nice guy like Sam to handle, but we didn't get to see them together.

It wasn't an awful book, by any means, but I think Chalaine just phoned this one in. I was left feeling like I had an invitation to a nice meal of meat and potatoes from a friend who was a chef, but all I got was a big plate of warmed over mashed potatoes, no meat, and for dessert, a dip of plain vanilla ice cream. I'm also getting some of the TV and book story lines confused. Bill's history with Lorena for one, so I was glad Charlaine cleared that one up.

Funny, but if I were to name two authors that went 'commercial' after writing several compelling best selling novels, I would have also named Cornwell and Rice.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I finished Dead in the Family a little while ago and thought it was good (not great, but good). I reread Dead and Gone beforehand, so I think after all that action, DITF was a nice, somewhat calm, breather afterwards. I wasn't thrilled with the introduction of Appius and really, really disliked Alexei's storyline, but it's nice to know that Eric is free, though I didn't get any warm and fuzzies when I read that their bond is now weakened. Of course, maybe this is what Sookie needs to figure out whether her feelings for Eric are actually love or if it was just the bond, as this was something she kept throwing around in her head in D&G.

I'm really glad Eric was able to explain his absence in rescuing Sookie (as it really bothered me while reading D&G) and it was nice to see a different side to Claude, though I will still miss Claudine. I have a feeling we're going to see Hunter again, esp. since Claude figured out what he does, but I'm hoping it won't turn into a major story. [Sidenote-did anyone else think it was really odd that Remy just dropped Hunter off with a family member he really didn't know for an overnight? Part of me half-expected him not to come back for Hunter.]

The reemergence of Alcide and his comment about once thinking he & Sookie would end up together leads me to believe that we're going to be seeing more of him next book. Much as I love Sookie & Eric, I think his absence while Appius was around didn't bode well for them. I think we're either going to see her heading towards Alcide (which I would like but how is that feasible if he's supposed to reproduce another Were?) or realizing that it's Sam she wanted all along.

The shifter legislation sure looks to be explosive in the next book. And, with Dermot in the house, I'm wondering if we'll be seeing a return of Niall?? And then there's the whole Felipe/Victor scenario...so many places the next book can go! I hope C. Harris resolves more storylines b/c other than going more into Eric & Bill's histories with their makers, I feel like I got a whole lotta nothin'.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

+ Reply to Thread