+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Libba Bray- Gemma Doyle Trilogy

Libba Bray- Gemma Doyle Trilogy

Anyone read this trilogy? It has to be my favorite YA series in modern literature right now. The books are in order A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels, Sweet Far Thing. The fantasy elements seem so vivid in the imagination. The four main characters are all likable in their own ways. I love history so It could also be the victorian time peroid mixed with fantasy that captures me.

I can't wait for the movie in 2010. The director only has one more movie to finish before he starts working on A Great and Terrible Beauty.

Re: Libba Bray- Gemma Doyle Trilogy

I have listened to books 1 and 2. The pacing reminds me very much of Stephanie Meyers Twilight books, a lot of angst and not that much action. Really book one is alot about not much. I don't think a movie about book one will be that satisfying. I do think that a movie makes much more sense if it combines book 1 and 2.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Gemma is a 16 yr old girl who lost her mother of course she's going angst, and think it's her fault because she had a vision of her mother's murder. At least Gemma admits when shes being a brat. Bella just whines for no reason at all when every character has been nothing but kind to her concieted arse. Book one is all about Gemma discovering her powers , her self discovery as a person, and who her mother really was through her diary or it could of been Sarah's diary. The writing is better, the heroine is stronger doesn't need a man to fight for her along with her friends, and Libba did her research. That puts her way above Meyer as an author especially someone like Meyer who admits she doesn't think about what shes writing when she's writing, and it completely shows.
    "You keep going until you find happiness in helping people realize their dreams"- Gene Kelly

FORT Newbie

I've only read the first book but I really enjoyed it. Gemma's got great potential to be a strong female character and I liked the relationships between the girls in the Academy. I'm currently too broke to buy the remaining books but they're definately on my TBR list. I wish these books got more attention from YA readers.

I read the first book quite a while back, just after reading Scott Westerfeld's, Uglies, Pretties, Specials, Extra's (all of which I really enjoyed)...... and was not impressed with Bray's writing style enough to want to pursue the remaining 2 in the trilogy. I actually struggled to make myself reach the end, so I am not a fan of the series.

I guess perhaps Bearcata and I enjoy the same type of authors; but I am glad there are other's that do enjoy Bray (variety is the spice of life). My niece easily read the books and enjoyed them, but she is a huge fan of the Twilight series and Westerfeld's and said she would take either of those over Bray's any day .
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

FORT Newbie

I read both of them, as the time passed, i almost forget something in this book, i want to review it again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3418937;
    I read the first book quite a while back, just after reading Scott Westerfeld's, Uglies, Pretties, Specials, Extra's (all of which I really enjoyed)...... and was not impressed with Bray's writing style enough to want to pursue the remaining 2 in the trilogy. I actually struggled to make myself reach the end, so I am not a fan of the series.

I guess perhaps Bearcata and I enjoy the same type of authors; but I am glad there are other's that do enjoy Bray (variety is the spice of life). My niece easily read the books and enjoyed them, but she is a huge fan of the Twilight series and Westerfeld's and said she would take either of those over Bray's any day .
    I have just started the "House of Night" series by PC Cast and Kristin Cast and am on book II. That is an excellent series and would be interesting to turn into a series.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I am big in YA books right now. I am almost done w/ book 3 of twilight. I read Great & Terrible Beauty. I have Marked on my library list. I wasn't sure about Westerfield's though.
    I liked G&TB enough, although I haven't picked up the 2nd one. I may after I finish Twilight. To me this is all kind of throw away reading. I enjoy it at the time, but wouldn't say it was the best thing I ever read. After I got it, I was concerned that it took place in England in the late 1800's. I thought it was going to be written in that style, but it's written contemporary, so that was good for me.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

+ Reply to Thread