+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Anyone not like the Twilight series?

Re: Anyone not like the Twilight series?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora Box;3427001;
    I like the way you do things.
    The strange thing is the older I get the more I look into YA books. There are some really fantastic ones out there. But being a uni student I keep those ones hidden away behind Hunchback of Notre Dame and Pride and Prejudice.
    Oh, me too. You should see me at the library picking up all my YA books I have on hold with my two children in tow. Gotta love YA fiction. Have you tried Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins? That one is excellent as is Percy and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan though I'm waiting on the 3rd book to get in at my library.

Quote Originally Posted by tamelaine;3625966;
    Oh, me too. You should see me at the library picking up all my YA books I have on hold with my two children in tow. Gotta love YA fiction. Have you tried Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins? That one is excellent as is Percy and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan though I'm waiting on the 3rd book to get in at my library.
    The wonderful thing about Harry Potter is that the YA book market has exploded. It used to be that publishers thought kids wouldn't read any long books and that is one reason Tamora Pierce's Alana series is 4 books long when nowadays it could have been one novel. I too have rediscovered the YA section in the library and have listened to (audiobooks) the Twilight series, PC Cast and Kristin Cast's House of Night series, Kai Meyer's Water Mirror, Meg Cabot's non Princess Diary series (the Mediator series is fabulous), John Flanagan's Apprentice Ranger series, Dragoneye by Alison Goodman are just a few. The world of the paranormal and fantasy for YA is simply enormous and I love it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3606528;
    You're not alone. I finally just tell people that I haven't read them because saying I read them and hated them usually starts a big to do.
    That sucks, because you ought to be able to say you don't like something without taking crap for it.

I liked the first 3, but I agree about Breaking Dawn. I finished it, but the idea of the werewolves imprinting on babies was too much. I have tried to read The Host, but that book is so weird I just can't get into it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;3643172;
    That sucks, because you ought to be able to say you don't like something without taking crap for it.

I liked the first 3, but I agree about Breaking Dawn. I finished it, but the idea of the werewolves imprinting on babies was too much. I have tried to read The Host, but that book is so weird I just can't get into it at alll.
    I loved that book after I was about a third of the way into it. I have no idea why I found it so challenging at first, but I did. I think perhaps it is difficult to understand the concept, maybe? But, after persevering through the first third of the book, I was both very interested and compelled to read the remainder. Complete reversal of my earlier feelings. Maybe it took me that long to really "get" it? Who knows, but the beginning was hard for me to get through, after she got to the caves, I enjoyed the remainder so much that I tend to forget that slow beginning.

As for Breaking Dawn, it was my favorite and least favorite of the books. I did not mind the imprinting (for me she explained it well in an earlier book, and over the span of one year's time I was able to rationalize my initial ick factor) but I felt the first part of the book was to far fetched even for my imagination. I disliked the name Renesme, but I did like the way everything was resolved in the end.

I think it does matter that I did not read all of the books immediately, but had to wait each year for the new one to be released. During that tween time, some of the concepts introduced were able to be absorbed, digested, accepted by me, and I was more at ease with it when the next book was released.

I also respect your opinion myrosiedog, and would not have felt compelled to challenge it and am sorry that you had to endure it. For what it's worth, I have the same situation with "Lord of the Rings" - felt both the books and the first movie (I refused to watch any of the remaining) were boring, and I disliked the writing style. So, I hear you!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3647492;
    I loved that book after I was about a third of the way into it. I have no idea why I found it so challenging at first, but I did. I think perhaps it is difficult to understand the concept, maybe? But, after persevering through the first third of the book, I was both very interested and compelled to read the remainder. Complete reversal of my earlier feelings. Maybe it took me that long to really "get" it? Who knows, but the beginning was hard for me to get through, after she got to the caves, I enjoyed the remainder so much that I tend to forget that slow beginning.

As for Breaking Dawn, it was my favorite and least favorite of the books. I did not mind the imprinting (for me she explained it well in an earlier book, and over the span of one year's time I was able to rationalize my initial ick factor) but I felt the first part of the book was to far fetched even for my imagination. I disliked the name Renesme, but I did like the way everything was resolved in the end.

I think it does matter that I did not read all of the books immediately, but had to wait each year for the new one to be released. During that tween time, some of the concepts introduced were able to be absorbed, digested, accepted by me, and I was more at ease with it when the next book was released.

I also respect your opinion myrosiedog, and would not have felt compelled to challenge it and am sorry that you had to endure it. For what it's worth, I have the same situation with "Lord of the Rings" - felt both the books and the first movie (I refused to watch any of the remaining) were boring, and I disliked the writing style. So, I hear you!
    I don't like Lord of the Rings either. I feel so much better now. (But I also keep that opinion to myself as well as that also attracts a lot of negative attention. The list goes on for me. The Star Trek movies, the Matrix movies. The newest Star Wars movies. People think I'm insane that I don't like these, so I just don't mention it)

Yeah, you tell people (including my own daughter) you don't like the Twilight series and like someone posted upthread it's like you kicked your dog or something. So I just don't say anything anymore. Books, like art and music are subjective. Not everything is going to be to everyone's taste.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I have a particular book/movie that I just don't bother mentioning any more because once I mention it, everyone in a range of 3 states has to tell how great it is, what a CLASSIC it is (still don't like it).

To Kill A Mockingbird. ugh

But I LOVE LOTR I think my husband and I have 3 or 4 sets between us. Just tried to reread The Simarillon....that's a rough go, had to put it back down.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3680129;
    Ah.. that was just plain mean...funny, but mean. All the Twilighter's will be .
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fan

I hated twilight.

It's bland pulp if you ask me.

But then again it's written for thirteen year old girls, and that means I'm not the target audience. I have no problem with people liking Twilight... if they just stick to their own little ghetto... but ever so often one of them wanders into a thread or a discussion and starts arguing that Twilight is actually a decent read, that it is somehow more than pulp written for pubescant girls.

That bugs me.

Because they're not going to listen to reason or logic, they're not going to bring up arguments, and they just end up throwing the same kind of insults around.
    This is not a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairon;3682248;
    I hated twilight.

It's bland pulp if you ask me.

But then again it's written for thirteen year old girls, and that means I'm not the target audience. I have no problem with people liking Twilight... if they just stick to their own little ghetto... but ever so often one of them wanders into a thread or a discussion and starts arguing that Twilight is actually a decent read, that it is somehow more than pulp written for pubescant girls.

That bugs me.

Because they're not going to listen to reason or logic, they're not going to bring up arguments, and they just end up throwing the same kind of insults around.
    I read that the first book was NOT written for young adults. She wrote it for herself, and interest prompted her to get it published. Only afterward did she discover that it was being categorized as YA. If the main characters are youth, then the book is classed that way, I guess. But, she did not intentionally start out to write for teens. She is/was a very new writer at the time, and her book "The Host", clearly shows that she is talented in writing adult books. (IMO)
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread