+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Anyone not like the Twilight series?

Re: Anyone not like the Twilight series?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora Box;3424574;
    After they get married (something Bella didn't want to do, remember), they do the act. But during their first time, Bella passes out and he keeps going. When she wakes up in the morning, she is covered in bruises she doesn't remember getting. Sure, Edward is ashamed but her first thought afterwards is how to cover them up so as not to upset him! .
    Edward did try to stop the wedding because he felt somewhat guilty and Bella refused.
    Hmmm....I interpreted their first time together very differently. I do not remember reading that Bella "passed out" (other than fatigue). What would she have passed out from? She didn't drink or do drugs. My understanding was that they made passionate love together and Edward in his enthusiasm bruised her. She didn't feel anything at the time because she also was enthusiastic and enjoying herself. Remember she wakes up feeling "blissed out". Also, she was VERY upset with Edward for killing her buzz. I don't get a victim mentality from that all.

One very interesting thing I've read was the "Midnight Sun" draft on SM's website. Gives Edward's perspective and makes him much more, well, human

I too, love discussing books, movies, just about anything really! in infinite detail!

My particular gripe with BD (and I did like it for the most part) was Bella's abandonment of Renee. No contact with the woman who raised you for 17 years? especially after you become a mother yourself? Not good. I have a few interesting scenarios in my head as to how it could all work out for the family...
    Last edited by Gala62; 06-29-2009 at 02:50 PM.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

I took the "passed out" reference, or whatever it was said to be in the book, as Stephanie Meyer's way of politely bowing out of having to write anything graphical about "those" kinds of "honeymoon" things in a book for younger people. I am thankful she did. I don't think she meant to say that Bella literally was unconcious and Edward had his way with her, I think she was mearly refering the feel that one gets when they lose themselves in the "moment".

exactly, I think SM was trying to keep the book from veering into smut novel territory. Now some of us older ladies may have liked that, but I can appreciate the restraint. I think the clue here is how happy Bella was both before and after making love to Edward. And SM is VERY clear on how happy Bella is after she wakes up - Bella really, REALLY enjoyed her honeymoon night

Now another thing....and sorry if this has been brought up before....but seriously...."little nudger"? WTF??? First off, who says this? Second, I cannot picture Bella saying that in a million years. I let slide the fact the vampire's semen supposedly isn't venomous when every other drop of their body fluid is, but "little nudger" just irritated me to death.

I know, I know, an author can do what they like....doesn't mean I have to like it! LOL
    Last edited by Gala62; 06-30-2009 at 07:34 AM.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62;3534430;
    exactly, I think SM was trying to keep the book from veering into smut novel territory. Now some of us older ladies may have liked that, but I can appreciate the restraint. I think the clue here is how happy Bella was both before and after making love to Edward. And SM is VERY clear on how happy Bella is after she wakes up - Bella really, REALLY enjoyed her honeymoon night

Now another thing....and sorry if this has been brought up before....but seriously...."little nudger"? WTF??? First off, who says this? Second, I cannot picture Bella saying that in a million years. I let slide the fact the vampire's semen supposedly isn't venomous when every other drop of their body fluid is, but "little nudger" just irritated me to death.

I know, I know, an author can do what they like....doesn't mean I have to like it! LOL

It was slightly better than the name she gave that poor chile after it was born. THAT got to me. THEN to call her Nessie!? I have heard SMs reasoning on it, but i still think it was the most gawd awful name ever!
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3534881;
    It was slightly better than the name she gave that poor chile after it was born. THAT got to me. THEN to call her Nessie!? I have heard SMs reasoning on it, but i still think it was the most gawd awful name ever!
    Although I loved the series, I am with you both on the nudger and naming of the baby. They just seemed incongruous with the rest of the story. Honestly, I thought Nessie was a step up from the kids actual name.

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3534881;
    Yeah, it's ALL bad. That is the kind of name an uneducated girl might come up with when thinking about her future family. But Bella? A very intelligent, yes, young woman? please. That dumba** name got in the way of me really "seeing" the baby as a character in the book and not just some stunt the author pulled.

Now the middle name was actually cute: Carlie. Too bad she didn't use that for the first name!

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62;3534917;
    Yeah, it's ALL bad. That is the kind of name an uneducated girl might come up with when thinking about her future family. But Bella? A very intelligent, yes, young woman? please. That dumba** name got in the way of me really "seeing" the baby as a character in the book and not just some stunt the author pulled.

Now the middle name was actually cute: Carlie. Too bad she didn't use that for the first name!
    Carlie I agree on, that would have been cute.. sweet, and fitting. But then with out Nessie, we would not have had 100 pages of Bella Kavetching about the nickname.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3535219;
    Carlie I agree on, that would have been cute.. sweet, and fitting. But then with out Nessie, we would not have had 100 pages of Bella Kavetching about the nickname.
    very true!!

I don't know if it is just me, but it seems that here in Arizona, you get weird names more often than in other states. Seriously. Her name choice for the baby wouldn't be so out of place here. I had a hard time pronouncing it, but other than that.... never stuck me as weird. Guess I have lived in Mesa way to long.

Quote Originally Posted by kewtiebaby;3535298;
    I don't know if it is just me, but it seems that here in Arizona, you get weird names more often than in other states. Seriously. Her name choice for the baby wouldn't be so out of place here. I had a hard time pronouncing it, but other than that.... never stuck me as weird. Guess I have lived in Mesa way to long.
    that's actually very interesting! Doesn't SM live in Arizona also?

+ Reply to Thread