+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Anyone not like the Twilight series?

Re: Anyone not like the Twilight series?

I had heard so much about the series that I got the audio books from the library. The books are long and not much happens in the first 3 books. Personally, I think with some really tight editing the series would be really good if books 1 - 3 could be stripped down and made one book.

I really like the idea of the werewolf society in the series and would like to see that expanded more and perphaps have a few books based on that alone.

I loved the relationship that developed between Bella and Jacob and saw that the character of Jacob really developed while Edward was this big blah to me. I do think the author is a bit wordy and needs to be held under a tighter rein by her editor.

The author is really gifted at is describing the world through an alien/other point of view. The author did it in her book The Host with the main character, Wanda and with Bella after her transformation in book four. That ability to see the world through alien/other eyes is a gift.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3383276;
    I see it differently. I don't think there should be (or are) and binding rules with regards to depicting vampires (or other mythical creatures). When depicting a real person (someone who actually lived) then, yes, the author should be true to who that person was. When writing about a fictional species they can do what they want.
    I completely agree, the author writes the Fiction and creates the so called reality of that world. There are no hard & fast rules regarding vampires and even if there were - it's all make believe, and the writer has the freedom to create the make believe.

Charlaine Harris and her Sookie Stackhouse series has her own vampire make believe world. (which I happen to enjoy).

Fiction is just that: a literary work based on the imagination and not necessarily on fact.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

MRD

FINALLY!

My daughter loves then and in the spirit of trying to foster more mother/daughter togetherness I read them and I didn't care for them at all. The writing was not that fantastic. And yes, I know the author is or was a member of FORT at one time.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3389065;
    I completely agree, the author writes the Fiction and creates the so called reality of that world. There are no hard & fast rules regarding vampires and even if there were - it's all make believe, and the writer has the freedom to create the make believe.

Charlaine Harris and her Sookie Stackhouse series has her own vampire make believe world. (which I happen to enjoy).

Fiction is just that: a literary work based on the imagination and not necessarily on fact.
    You know, I do agree with this, the author has the freedom to create the make believe and change it the way she wants it to.

However, since you brought up Charlaine Harris, I have to say that although Charlaine brought the vampires out into the open in her world, through a means that seems very realistic in the "non make believe" world, the vampires themselves follow the "traditional" vampire lore on the major aspects. They will burn up in sunlight, don't like garlic, have to drain people to the point of death, then feed them their blood to turn them, and have fangs. ALL of these are a part of the traditional vampire lore, NONE of which the Twilight vampires possess. I think the only lore that the Sookie-verse vampires don't have is that they are able to have a reflection in the mirror. That is probably what annoys me the most with the Twilight series. I know that S. Meyer didn't research vampires at all, but there are a few aspects of vampire lore that just by being aware of pop culture are pretty much common knowledge. To me, it's like she snubbed her nose at almost every vampire story in the past when she created the vampires of Twilight.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3389122;
    FINALLY!

My daughter loves then and in the spirit of trying to foster more mother/daughter togetherness I read them and I didn't care for them at all. The writing was not that fantastic. And yes, I know the author is or was a member of FORT at one time.
    If you don't like the books it's okay to say so, it's not necessary to qualify your statement. There's no rule that says you can't criticize the Twilight series because the author used to be a FORT writer. She was a well respected writer when she was here, but her books are subject to both criticism and praise just like any other author.

MRD

Someone else upthread pointed out that she's a member of fort. I was responding to that statement when I posted that I didn't like the books. Maybe I should have quoted that poster to make myself more clear.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I loved the Anne Rice vampire books, and couldn't get through more than the first book in the Twilight series. I felt like Bella was too weak and too reliant on Edward to keep rescuing her, and didn't think it gave a good example to the young women the books are obviously targeted to. I did, however, love Stephanie Meyer's The Host. Read it in about two days, and really enjoyed the lead character. I hope she writes a follow up book to it. I found the Twilight series is very much written for tweens and teens, whereas The Host is more of an adult novel. I don't really care to read the rest of the Twilight series.

I'm among those that don't like the series. To me Bella is boring, weak, obssesive compulsive, just really unlikable to sum up since I could go on and on and Edward I think is plain creepy. I also admit I don't like sparkly in the sun vampires that can impregnate humans - being undead should mean at least an inability to procreate IMO, even if you're creating your own vampire lore. AH, and the constant repetition, hated that.

I have just read the first book and about a third of the second one, which I couldn't finish, but even so I did find the message in the books disturbing. My 16 yearl old niece loved the first and second books, started having second thought by the third and the fourth in her words grossed her out.

That said I remember I posted in the main thread a long time ago about my dislike. At the time I didn't know Stephenie Meyer had been or is a FORT member and I didn't get kicked out , so I agree that you wouldn't have been attacked even if you had posted in the main thread, Lailah. I think we all should be able to express our opinions.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lailah;3383765;
    It's ok to intrepret vampires or any mythical creatures how you want as long as stay inside the lore. Meyer didn't do that, she didn't do any research on vampires, she admitted she doesn't think when she writes, and it shows.

Your not write about a specific time peroid in history, and not do research.

If a person writing a piece on certain mythical creatures their not going to describe cyclops as a centuar. Meyer basically wrote vampires like sparkling pixes. vampires don't have stone bodies, they don't produce venom. Their creatures of the night, and feed on human blood. They're animated corpses. they have fangs or retractable fangs. The women didn't even do research on simple lore. Bram Stoker has to be rolling in his grave. I bet she doesn't even know the man in history who inspired the Dracula novel. That man was evil do you think he sparkled and dazzled his victims while sent millions of innocent men to their deaths as some sick pleasure.

Books will always send out a message. I think all authors send out a meaning in their books thats the whole point in writing a story to get some message across to people through their characters, and story. Why do you think you have literature lessons, and do book reports in english class in school.

I'd advise her to read The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.
    Sorry, I beg to differ on most of your points, but esp. this post. There is nothing that says all writers have to follow a certain rule-- if that were the case, then all "fantasy" books would be so boring because they'd follow the same formulas! Thinking outside the box is what makes the world go round. Does a unicorn always have to be white or can they be other colors? What if someone described an elf before Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings-- do you think they would have told him he didn't follow the rules and therefore, his piece of work was rubbish? While Bram Stoker wrote "Dracula" I don't think that means, by any means, that he 'owns' the description of a vampire. He wrote about the vampires he saw in his head and SM wrote about those she saw.

Every author creates a world unique to them; because it is their world, they can create the characters however they want, right down to the silly sparkles. Their only job is to make that world something we readers want to be a part of. Personally, I'd take the somewhat tortured vampires who want to be good versus Stoker's or Anne Rice's dark versions any day. [And Buffy has always been listed on my profile as the 1 show I miss, so believe me, I know vampire "lore".]

I couldn't really relate to Bella until she became stronger in BD because that's more like me. However, in the 3 books prior, I felt all of the feelings Bella did and could relate to how much of an outsider she felt, moving to a new school and receiving the attention from the boys that she did. SM made me invested in her.

As far as Edward-- I never saw him as controlling-- extremely overprotective, yes-- but never controlling. Bella always had a choice in everything, right down to whether she eventually chose him or Jacob. Yes, if you count the years, he was 90-something years old; however, he never had any experience in the relationship department, so he was just as much a virgin as Bella was. Therefore, I would never consider him a pedophile.

And going along with Edward's being so overprotective-- I think this often overshadowed exactly how strong Bella actually was. She was willing to give up her life to protect her mom and she was willing to sacrifice herself again in Eclipse. She always put others before herself, often to her detriment, and that takes a strong person.

Regarding the imprinting--well, it is what it is. SM obviously had Quil imprint with Claire to set the groundwork for what happens in BD. I thought they explained it pretty well and if Jacob had EVER had a pedophiliac thought, Edward would've known about it anyways.

I only recently read Twilight because I'd heard it was a "teen" series, but a couple of months ago, I bought the set and loved them. There are few series where I've become so invested in the characters (Harry Potter, Belgariad, Sword of Truth, and Tolkien are the only other ones that come to mind) so when I find another series I feel this way about, I feel as though I've been given a gift by the author.

Obviously, I'm not going to change your opinion (which you're welcome to) but I do respectfully disagree with some of your points.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

I dont want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy. - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I think there are many people who aren't reading them. Our local bookstore has 3 different shelves full of them and they have moved them to the "teenage" section now to improve sales.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread