+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Anyone not like the Twilight series?

Re: Anyone not like the Twilight series?

I'm in agreement with CCL...since vampires aren't real, their nature is open to any interpretation the author wishes. Personally, I hated Anne Rice's vampire books (though I loved her Mayfair witches series, even though they didn't wear pointed hats and ride brooms. )

I liked this series because I felt it was fresh and original. I don't have any real criticisms of it - it succeeds admirably at being an imaginative love story and as a crossover novel for tweens and adults. I think describing it as sexist is way off the mark - the female vampires are as strong and "talented" as the males, and Bella ends up as the strongest of them all. As far as Bella's character goes, I am probably in the minority as liking her depiction as a sulky introvert. (I also thought Kristen Stewart perfectly nailed Bella's personality in the movie.) It could be that I'm tired of the sugary Disney females that are on constant parade on the TV at my house - Raven, Hannah Montana, iCarly, etc. I agree with PWS's take that Edward's "controlling" aspect has much to do with the fact that he is literally a very old soul in a teenager's body, as well as the Romeo & Juliet comparison. It's pretty normal for young women to fall in love with the idea of a perfect romantic couple. It's not realistic but Meyer didn't invent the concept - most young adult lit ends with everyone being happily paired off. Even Harry Potter ended up finding his soul mate.

Now, I didn't love absolutely everything about the books - I didn't like the "sparkling" either, and I'm well aware that the writing isn't in Pulitzer territory. But I don't like the implication that if the story doesn't adhere to some vague politically correct guidelines for young adult literature that it's unhealthy for kids to read it. It's an engaging fantasy series and I gave it to my daughter to read without any qualms whatsoever.

I agree that in taking literature as an art form, taste is subjective and personal. Speaking for myself, I can take as much pleasure from the Twilight series as I can from Jane Austen. I bought all the books as I'm more than happy to support a successful female novelist and a former FORT writer.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, I also never liked Harry hooking up with his friend's little sister who'd had a crush on him since she was a baby practically either...at least she put him through the wringer a bit later on. But too much "power" to the guy again with the age difference. I thought Harry and Hermione made a much better couple.
    Finished book 2.... at least Bella is standing up for herself a bit. Still not seeing Edward's charm beyond the physical. And their bonding seems to be based on some kind of biological Sicilian thunderbolt thing on his side rather than much about her personality...but, hey, it seems to be permanent. And I admit I'm looking forward to book 3 and 4... want to see Jacob get some kind of happy ending, too.
    And I'm just as glad not to have Pulitzer level writing, which in my view often gets in the way of telling a good story these days. I bet Jane Austen wouldn't get one if she wrote today. (Not saying Spegs is quite JA yet, but she does tell a good story--our level of annoyance with various characters shows that she has gotten under our skin with them!).

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3383464;
    Well, I also never liked Harry hooking up with his friend's little sister who'd had a crush on him since she was a baby practically either...at least she put him through the wringer a bit later on. But too much "power" to the guy again with the age difference.
    I may be remembering the books wrong, but isn't Ginny only a year younger than Ron and Harry? I seem to remember her starting Hogwarts the year after the boys did ...

As for the Twilight Saga, I didn't particularly care for either Edward or Bella too much, but I enjoyed the series. The "secondary" characters carried the books for me. I think the main appeal, at least for me, is that it brought back all the insecure fluttery first-time-in-love feelings of being a teenage girl. All those feelings of not being "complete" without the guy, and worrying all the time about what he could possibly see in you when he's "so perfect", brought me right back to high school.

And I don't think it is fair to expect SM (or ANY author) to write books that end with morals, or to try and teach "right from wrong". I read for entertainment, not instruction or lectures. And speaking of lectures, I didn't start out to give one ... sorry about that!

And although I agree that there are some very valid points made here, I enjoyed the books (I've read them all twice) and enjoyed the movie.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I posted this in the other Twilight thread; but I'll put it here too...

I didn't like the ending of the series. And I have to agree with people here that both liked and didn't like certain aspects of the books.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3383387;
    I'm in agreement with CCL...since vampires aren't real, their nature is open to any interpretation the author wishes. Personally, I hated Anne Rice's vampire books (though I loved her Mayfair witches series, even though they didn't wear pointed hats and ride brooms. )

It's ok to intrepret vampires or any mythical creatures how you want as long as stay inside the lore. Meyer didn't do that, she didn't do any research on vampires, she admitted she doesn't think when she writes, and it shows.

Your not write about a specific time peroid in history, and not do research.

If a person writing a piece on certain mythical creatures their not going to describe cyclops as a centuar. Meyer basically wrote vampires like sparkling pixes. vampires don't have stone bodies, they don't produce venom. Their creatures of the night, and feed on human blood. They're animated corpses. they have fangs or retractable fangs. The women didn't even do research on simple lore. Bram Stoker has to be rolling in his grave. I bet she doesn't even know the man in history who inspired the Dracula novel. That man was evil do you think he sparkled and dazzled his victims while sent millions of innocent men to their deaths as some sick pleasure.

Books will always send out a message. I think all authors send out a meaning in their books thats the whole point in writing a story to get some message across to people through their characters, and story. Why do you think you have literature lessons, and do book reports in english class in school.

I'd advise her to read The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.
    Last edited by Lailah; 03-16-2009 at 02:19 AM.
    "You keep going until you find happiness in helping people realize their dreams"- Gene Kelly

CCL

Meyer didn't do that, she didn't do any research on vampires, she admitted she doesn't think when she writes, and it shows.
    I don't think she ever said that she doesn't think when she writes. Maybe she doesn't think about the "correct" lore, but that's not the same thing as not thinking at all.

I've read The Historian. It was okay, but I didn't find it gripping.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I didn't care much for them, but I found them to be tween-oriented, an orientation of writing I didn't care for when I was a tween (with the exception of Nancy Drew - love mysteries). There's a certain repetitiveness that occurs in tween oriented writing (and romance novels, for that matter) that eventually just becomes a nail between the eyes to me.

However, I don't object to Ms. Meyers reconfiguring the mythology. Loved, Buffy and Angel, didn't care that he had his soul reinstalled. Didn't love, but did watch, Moonlight, didn't care that he could wander about in sunlight. That nature of fiction is that it is fictional and you can do whatever the hell you want.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I just read your first post here, Lailah and I actually laugh when I read the fact that you're having problem with the repetition, as I did, though, I did not agree with most of your post. I posted my thoughts about the books somewhere and I think I'll repost it here as well. I like talking about novels. lol

My first reaction to the first book was -- naturally... "WTH, First person!!" *threw the book into my bookshelf* Second reaction was when I had the urge to try and read it again. I was around page 3 or 4 and I was like "Slow start and so boring... why do I even bother" (Nothing against the writing at that point because I just hate books written in first person...) and put the book back into my bookshelf... Third time was after my aunt convinced me... Basically frowning when I read first few pages. I think after the Cullens/Hales first came into the cafeteria was when I first got interested.

Basically how Stephanie described each of them got me all captivated. Though when I'm done with the first book, I was annoyed at the fact that there are a LOT of repetition with some words like "beautiful", "cool" and "dazzling". But after reading it a lot of times (yeah, I re-read the first book so many times), I'm used to it and I actually have a theory as to why the repetitive is necessary. This is my personal opinion -- The book was in first person so, naturally every description came from Bella, who had always been "dazzled" by Edward. Perhaps... just perhaps, the way she saw Edward had always been the same as when she first saw him. I don't know if I'm making sense here, but that's what I thought. (English isn't my mother language so, it's kinda hard to explain things sometimes).

No offense you guys... I admit that I first had problem with SM's writing and wasn't quite her fan until recently. Keep in mind that I'm her HUGE fan now...

I also think the author of this series is very immature, and needs to take some constructive critisim. She also should take a good look at her characters before bashing other authors characters. The "I wrote for myself" excuse when people didn't like the last installment of her Twilight series is getting old. She needs to grow up, and stop acting like a child. If she wrote for herself she should of kept it that way.
    Immature? I don't think so. I think she outdone herself with Breaking Dawn and that book is now one of my favorite books of all time (second only to Julie Garwood's The Bride). The storyline for the last book is BRILLIANT. I also don't think that when she said she wrote for herself as an excuse what so ever. And I don't see her being childish... The way I see her... well -- she's full of life. One thing I hate about some author is that they're trying to please the reader, instead of writing from their heart. Stephanie's take on the last book clearly convey her creativity and she's brave enough to take risk of doing something that most people wouldn't even imagine... and probably oppose to...

I see what you all are saying. I don't like when fans act like Meyer is such a genius for coming with this epic "love" story between a vampire, and human. It's been done before, it's been done better.
    She's actually a genius in her own way. Her storylines kept me captivated and to be quite honest, no other author managed to get my full attention to read first person book thoroughly, so for that I'll say she's a genius. Many paranormal stories are similar in some ways, but I don't think it's right to compare the authors creativities. I've read many paranormal books, and to be quite honest, SM books are... different than any other paranormal books about vampires that I have read (I have 4 huge bookshelves on Paranormal novels, so it's a lot).

None of my friends here in Brunei ever hated the last book... but that's just my friends...

ETA: oh oh... I forgot to mention that I love Edward being as quoted "very controlling, posessive, stalkerish, and emotionally abusive". I imagined people in the early 90s would act like that. lol. Edward was OLD. As for the stalkerish -- I dunno... I came across so many Vampire stories in which the main character who is a vampire being stalkerish. Maybe it's just me, but I love being controlled.
    Last edited by kiariclois; 03-16-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lailah;3383765;
    It's ok to intrepret vampires or any mythical creatures how you want as long as stay inside the lore. Meyer didn't do that, she didn't do any research on vampires, she admitted she doesn't think when she writes, and it shows.

If a person writing a piece on certain mythical creatures their not going to describe cyclops as a centuar. Meyer basically wrote vampires like sparkling pixes. vampires don't have stone bodies, they don't produce venom. Their creatures of the night, and feed on human blood. They're animated corpses. they have fangs or retractable fangs. The women didn't even do research on simple lore. Bram Stoker has to be rolling in his grave. I bet she doesn't even know the man in history who inspired the Dracula novel. That man was evil do you think he sparkled and dazzled his victims while sent millions of innocent men to their deaths as some sick pleasure.
    I think the above clearly summarizes why you can't enjoy Stephenie's books: you have one set definition of what is a vampire and therefore anything that ventures outside of that definition is off limits. Simple as that...and that's fine. Personal insults of the author are not necessary.

Telling her to read "The Historian" really isn't necessary because she quite obviously wasn't trying to write a historical fiction novel. To judge her for not succeeding is silly. It's like going to McDonald's and criticizing their vanilla pudding for not being the same as the pannacotta at Becco.

I think the literary world is much better off because we have authors that are willing to think outside of the box and expand a genre.. or put a new spin on one. As others have advised above.. they don't find the Bram Stoker or Ann Rice vampires palatable reading. Stephenie's writing might not be up to your liking, and I'm sure she's okay with that. I've personally never been a huge fan of Ernest Hemingway or F. Scott Fitzgerald but they serve a purpose and a reader. Oh well.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Lailah;3383765;

Books will always send out a message. I think all authors send out a meaning in their books thats the whole point in writing a story to get some message across to people through their characters, and story. Why do you think you have literature lessons, and do book reports in english class in school.

I'd advise her to read The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.
    But there's no *real* vampire lore in western culture. Vlad the Impaler wasn't an animated corpse, he was a warrior with a penchant for sadistic torture, and he has nothing to do with modern takes on vampires - Rattus gave some examples, and you could add the Blade movies, The Lost Boys, Blacula, Van Helsing, Nosferatu...none of these films have anything remotely to do with Stoker's novel.

Stephenie said that the idea for Twilight was inspired by a dream she had, so it's a work of pure imagination. If I was to nitpick her fact-checking, or lack thereof, I could say that I'd never heard of such an idyllic life on a reservation like the one Jacob and the wolf pack seem to experience - I've been on reservations and life there is often hardscrabble, marked by poverty and unemployment. But asking the author to research a work of fantasy puzzles me. Surely literary license comes into play when one is writing a book of fiction?

As for The Historian - we should remember that Stephenie's series is meant for tweens/teens. I can't imagine someone in that age group being able to plod through Kostova's novel, which I enjoyed at age 41 but at age 13 I wouldn't have gotten past the first chapter. And I was the only student in my 10th grade English class who actually read Tess of the d'Urbervilles.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread