+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Anyone not like the Twilight series?

Re: Anyone not like the Twilight series?

I just finished the Twilight series and was less than impressed. Book 1 and 4 were the only semi-decent ones, but not really worth my time. I never would have read them all except that I purchased them all at once, big mistake! I just found Bella to be so annoying and an extremely weak female character. This was extremely disappointing to me since the books were written for young girls. I also found Edward to be a bit aggressive towards Bella and extremely controlling. I was concerned that young girls were reading this thinking that this was a good and normal relationship.

I did like Alice and Jacob, until the last book. The whole Jacob and the imprinting on the baby was just really weird. Overall, I never should have read the books and wasted my break from school reading these books. I do recognize that I'm an adult and the books are really written for teens and young girls, but I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books, so I thought I would give them a go. I'm just shocked at how many people think these are the best books ever written. I guess I'll go back to thinking Pride and Prejudice is one of the greatest love stories out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3686845;
    I just finished the Twilight series and was less than impressed. Book 1 and 4 were the only semi-decent ones, but not really worth my time. I never would have read them all except that I purchased them all at once, big mistake! I just found Bella to be so annoying and an extremely weak female character. This was extremely disappointing to me since the books were written for young girls. I also found Edward to be a bit aggressive towards Bella and extremely controlling. I was concerned that young girls were reading this thinking that this was a good and normal relationship.

I did like Alice and Jacob, until the last book. The whole Jacob and the imprinting on the baby was just really weird. Overall, I never should have read the books and wasted my break from school reading these books. I do recognize that I'm an adult and the books are really written for teens and young girls, but I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books, so I thought I would give them a go. I'm just shocked at how many people think these are the best books ever written. I guess I'll go back to thinking Pride and Prejudice is one of the greatest love stories out there.
    That it is!!!!!

But, I did enjoy both the style of writing (easy reading), the vision, and imagination (how different her vampires were portrayed).
    I loved her book "The Host" even more though. (After I got past the first third of the book that is, it took me that long to actually "get it".)
    I look forward to that sequel!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3688444;
    That it is!!!!!

But, I did enjoy both the style of writing (easy reading), the vision, and imagination (how different her vampires were portrayed).
    I loved her book "The Host" even more though. (After I got past the first third of the book that is, it took me that long to actually "get it".)
    I look forward to that sequel!
    Has she said there will be a sequel to The Host?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3690779;
    Has she said there will be a sequel to The Host?
    Oh yes she has, she is also working on some ghost type books. Entitled "Summer House"
    But, yes - right after Breaking Dawn came out, and before the whole Midnight Sun disaster, she said she was well into the sequel for Host. I can't remember what she said about the rest of the story though......

ETA: There will be two sequels to Host. The Soul and The Seeker.
    Last edited by Mike'sgirl; 09-05-2009 at 11:16 PM.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Thanks! I look forward to those.
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Just finished book 3....definitely preferred it to book 2 overall...that had just toooo much of the angst theme....and was glad Jacob got his shot as it were. Also there were (relatively) few babbling comments about Edward's beauty...I'm sorry, but at this point in the relationship that should really not be the main attraction....at least she seems to be focusing now on some other qualities. I still think Jacob is the better choice, not that she has one at this point because the Italians will turn her if the Cullens don't. But obviously the series is aimed at Edward---at least they let her consider the option and be tempted.
    Patiently waiting for Book 4 to turn paperback as well to keep my series consistent. Anyone know when that happens? Another year?
    Went to get The Host after reading your positive comments, but that also is only in hardcover so far. Sigh. Bloodsucking publishers!

PWS - sounds like someone needs a Kindle!
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3692354;
    PWS - sounds like someone needs a Kindle!
    Good point!! And it has to weigh less than some of these tomes!

FORT Regular

ahmmmm.....
    maybe the books are really just for teenagers like me...
    cause i really like it...
    while some here in this tread don't like them.......
    hahayyy...looks like ....(headed out)..

Quote Originally Posted by donnah fe;3695889;
    ahmmmm.....
    maybe the books are really just for teenagers like me...
    cause i really like it...
    while some here in this tread don't like them.......
    hahayyy...looks like ....(headed out)..
    There is a thread for people who liked the series... just a few down from this one. Called the Bella and Edward Series.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread