+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: what's your favorite recent book?

FORT Fogey
    I read the red tent it was pretty good, and I have re- read the Narnia books as I read them to my daughter, they are still wonderful!

I read summer sisters a few years ago,, I agree that girl!
    I still Love Judy Blume. My daughter and I are reading Freckle Juice right now,, she loves it!

in the last month or so, i finished john irving's "the fourth hand." it was pretty good, but not great for john irving.

however, right now i'm reading irving's "a widow for one year" and i am LOVING it. classic irving. he's not letting me down!

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Loved Bridget Jones. Fell out of my chair laughing.

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Anything by Elizabeth Berg too. She writes novels for women and really knows how to dissect the feelings and emotions associated with friendship and parent/child relationships. Her books are a quick read and will make you laugh, cry, or smile.

She has an amazing gift. My absolute favorite novels by her are Open House and Things we Keep. She's awesome.

Fade to black
    Anything by Nick Hornby I would highly recommend (he wrote High Fidelity and About a Boy, and the books are even better than the movies)
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

I hesitate to offer recommendations for books I haven't finished yet, but I'm really getting a kick out of The Anubis Gates (mentioned in the Book Club thread) by Tim Powers. It would have to really flounder down the stretch to ruin my enjoyment of it so far.

I also enjoy Nelson DeMille's books. Most recently, I read The Gold Coast. But his John Corey books (Plum Island and The Lion's Game) are excellent, too. I also liked The General's Daughter, but I haven't seen the movie yet.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

This is pretty off-topic, so I apologize in advance. I'm just wondering if any of you have read the book "Cryptonomicon", and, if so, what did you think of it?

My boyfriend has recommended it several times, but I'm usually not a big fan of sci-fi. This book is like 8 trillion pages long, and if I can't get a decent second opinion, I guess I'm not going to bother.

Hey, Godball, I'm considering reading that one. I have a coworker who read it and loved it. And I saw a guy reading it on the airplane when we got back from Florida. He said he was really enjoying it, too. You're right, though. It's really long. I think the prologue is War and Peace. You're going to be biting off a big chunk by reading it. Looks like it'll be your sole reading effort for quite some time if you decide to take the plunge. Buh-bye, Book Club, in other words.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Pffft. What you evidently fail to realize is that I have priorities. FoRT bookclub 1, boyfriend recommendation 0.

Well, I guess that settles it then.

+ Reply to Thread