+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: what's your favorite recent book?

Raindance - I have Sophie's World too!! Just haven't had a chance to read it yet, but its me and Sophie after exams!!

I've been trying to get through a list of classics - thought Count of Monte Christo was EXCELLENT! Another book that I really enjoyed recently (non-fiction) was 'The Road Less Travelled' - tried it years ago and just couldn't get into it, but I guess timing is everything.

Eldee - I always grab Koontz when I want a back that'll turn its own pages - if you know what I mean! Itismetip - I loved 'One Door Away From Heaven' too - not his normal stuff, but a nice read!

Hazy, how did 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' go (has it gone?!) That's on my pile too, underneath Sophie's World!
    "This above all: to thine own self be true." -William Shakespeare, Hamlet

Fade to black
    It was good - not great... not in my top 100 ever. Worth reading though.

An Invisible Sign of My Own by Aimee Bender
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Originally posted by AnnaRHR
    two of my favorite books are "The Bluest Eye" and "Song of Solomon" by Toni Morrison.
    I've wanted to read "The Bluest Eye" for a long time. I asked for it for Christmas two years straight, but never got it. Guess I'll have to buy it for myself.

I haven't read any new books lately, but I just read "When the Wind Blows" by James Patterson. It was really good, and the sequel to it is coming out soon. I think it's called "The Lake House". I can't wait!

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by kiwibelle
    Hazy, how did 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' go (has it gone?!) That's on my pile too, underneath Sophie's World!
    I think it's a good book, although it loses a little in translation. It didn't live up to the hype, but it was an interesting and enjoyable read.

Instead of Sophie's World, go for Sophie's Choice!

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by glennajo
    I've wanted to read "The Bluest Eye" for a long time. I asked for it for Christmas two years straight, but never got it. Guess I'll have to buy it for myself.
    It's a really popular book, so most used book stores should have it used for a couple of dollars. Once you read it, I'll be happy to discuss it with you...

FORT Fogey
    Vince Flynn has a great political thriller series and he just came out with a new one I loved it!

One of my favorite recent books was "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant. Did anyone read that?
    Who shot who in the what now?

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by greenflute98
    One of my favorite recent books was "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant. Did anyone read that?
    Never even heard of it. What's it about?

To people reading this thread, make sure you go to the Book Club thread and join our book club and vote for a book to read!

This is the description amazon gave:

The red tent is the place where women gathered during their cycles of birthing, menses, and even illness. Like the conversations and mysteries held within this feminine tent, this sweeping piece of fiction offers an insider's look at the daily life of a biblical sorority of mothers and wives and their one and only daughter, Dinah. Told in the voice of Jacob's daughter Dinah (who only received a glimpse of recognition in the Book of Genesis), we are privy to the fascinating feminine characters who bled within the red tent. In a confiding and poetic voice, Dinah whispers stories of her four mothers, Rachel, Leah, Zilpah, and Bilhah--all wives to Jacob, and each one embodying unique feminine traits. As she reveals these sensual and emotionally charged stories we learn of birthing miracles, slaves, artisans, household gods, and sisterhood secrets. Eventually Dinah delves into her own saga of betrayals, grief, and a call to midwifery.
    "Like any sisters who live together and share a husband, my mother and aunties spun a sticky web of loyalties and grudges," Anita Diamant writes in the voice of Dinah. "They traded secrets like bracelets, and these were handed down to me the only surviving girl. They told me things I was too young to hear. They held my face between their hands and made me swear to remember." Remembering women's earthy stories and passionate history is indeed the theme of this magnificent book. In fact, it's been said that The Red Tent is what the Bible might have been had it been written by God's daughters, instead of her sons
    Who shot who in the what now?

Originally posted by GrammarGoddess
    Another good beach read (or bath tub book, as I call them) is Summer Sisters by Judy Blume. Been out a while, but anyone who grew up reading Judy Blume will love this book.
    I'm a few days late on this, but I just have to say that I HATED this book. Not because it was poorly written or anything (although you're right - this is a definite beach kind of book), but because I couldn't STAND the one character. (You know the one I mean, I'm sure) I wanted to punch her friggin' lights out, and I'm not exactly the street-fighting scrappy type. Ugh. Blah!

I was all about Judy Blume as a kid, though. I read it for solely that reason.
    This actually got me thinking. Have any of you ever gone back as adults and read your childhood favorites again? I was thinking about re-reading the Narnia books, and there was another one with a tollbooth whose name I'm forgetting that I'd like to re-read.

+ Reply to Thread