+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: what's your favorite recent book?

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Thanks nausicaa. It's just that I should have expanded on the books I'm reading and be exposed to other more books, not just read romance novels.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Last summer my big finds were Wally Lamb's I Know This Much is True and She's Come Undone. Great books!

This summer, my list is:
    The Essential 55
    Running with Scissors
    Lucky
    The Hours
    The Nanny Diaries

I plan to start reading after Saturday. (I'm taking my comps Saturday AM) I can't wait!

I'm reading The Ladies' No. 1 Detective Agency . Uh, I'm embarassed to say I can't remember the author's name offhand (book is at home) but it is a Scottish man, I believe. It's about Botswana and is very engrossing, yet still reads like light summer reading. It's not detective stories like we think of Agatha Christie; the cases the main character investigates are more about social mores, like finding out if a teenager has a secret boyfriend. Gradually you absorb the whole atmosphere and I love when a book can do that. I really recommend it!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by grantaire02
    i love Bulgakov's "Master & Margarita"-- one of my favorite reads from Russian Lit class in college..

I love russian lit-- but Dostoyevsky will always be my dawg...
    LOL!

Two cornerstones...
    I love "The Brothers Karamazov"-- but my current Dostoyevsky (from my background as a political theory major) fave is "Notes from the Underground" and the short story, "Dream of a Ridiculous Man"
    Now, The Idiot was always my fave, but it has been so long since I read it. Reading War and Peace right now. I love it, but not so much the boring battle strategy. LOL Another fantastic Russian, and thin and an easy one to read in a day, is Solzhentsyn's Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. Powerful book.

By the way, I just kinda of strolled over from the LCS thread, so....

Rachael--whose To Be Read (TBR) stack gets bigger everyday. It probably doesn't help that I work for Borders/Waldenbooks.

p.s. For fantastic book chat, AOL'ers go to keyword Bookaccino. I have been going there for 6 years.

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    I loved Night by Elie Weisel

Am I the only one who's read Jonathan Hull's "Losing Julia"??? I never see where it's ever mentioned anywhere! This is an excellent book and it's the author's FIRST!!! I can't wait to see what he does next!
    It's not really the Julia part that gets you----- it's the incredible insight into who and when the man is...... you just gotta read it! Go--- NOW!

I also love Kay Hooper whom I've just found- she writes mysteries, but with a twist....... you gotta check her out too!!!!

Reality depends on your perception of things.... "what is perceived as real, is real in it's consequences"

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Potshot by Robert B. Parker

I was at a used book store the other day and I saw The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Since it's been so highly recommended, I bought it. I really enjoyed it, although I was really fighting off tears at the end. I think that Karenin is my favourite character in the whole book.
    Thanks for the good advice all!
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel22b
    Am I the only one who's read Jonathan Hull's "Losing Julia"??? I never see where it's ever mentioned anywhere! This is an excellent book and it's the author's FIRST!!! I can't wait to see what he does next!
    It's not really the Julia part that gets you----- it's the incredible insight into who and when the man is...... you just gotta read it! Go--- NOW!

I also love Kay Hooper whom I've just found- she writes mysteries, but with a twist....... you gotta check her out too!!!!
    I bought that book for my wife about a year ago, and she really enjoyed it.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

+ Reply to Thread