+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: what's your favorite recent book?

Fade to black
    Infinite Jest is probably one of the three or four books I mention to everyone I can when they ask me for a recommendation (I believe I even suggested to Duckgirl to pick it up for her summer reading). It's fantastic (so is Unbearable Lightness). Two of my fav's.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Aw man - this is the best thread ever! I never have enough time nowadays to actually go to Chapters and spend hours there perusing before I come home with the perfect book, so the fact that I'm getting all these great suggestions really helps me to narrow down the list.

Okay, now it's settled. have to read "The Unbearable Lightness of Being". Now that I think about it, it sounds like the kind of work I would really like, with lush prose and (I'm assuming tragic?) love story.

"Infinite Jest". David Foster Wallace. Got it.

Oh, and here's two books I really recommend.

"The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov. Dark fantasy and satire set in communist Russia, so innovative and told with such sharp wit you can't even tell it's protest literature upon first reading. Satan and his black cat make appearances, as does Pontius Pilate in a dual narrative. Metafictional. Brilliant.

"The Storyteller" by Mario Vargos-Lhosa (oh please tell me I spelled that right...) The Peruvian successor to Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who employs none of Marquez's penchant for epic storylines that get bogged down in a myriad of characters, but maintains all of the Master's lyrical, evocative, extravagant style.

NAUSICA-

I agree with your assessment of "Fury"-- I thought there was something really just *off* with Rushdie's characterization of the city and, especially, Mila and the hot chick he was in love with at the end (forgot her name)...there was something...just *off*.
    That said, there was a chunk in the middle that really hooked me...I loved the idea of the "fury" that drive, that burning, yearning fury...

KUNDERA--> I have everything he has ever written (I collect him). I don't think "Unbearable Lightness..." is my favorite, though it was the first of him I've read (on a study abroad program in the Czech Republic and Hungary).

I love "Immortality" and "Ignorance"..."Slowness" is also VERY good. Hell, I like them all.

If you like Kundera and Rushdie, I really recommend an Eastern European author by the name of Slavenka Drakulic-- both her fiction and non-fiction.
    I actually prefer her non-fiction ("Cafe Europa" is a non-fic fave... also, a fiction work I really liked is called "S.").

Anyone read any plays by Vaclav Havel (former Czech Leader)...I have a book of his letters, but haven't read any of his plays yet...

Grantaire02, I agree w/ you about Rushdie's characterization of...Kasmeen? (I can't even remember her name - not a good sign in a reader ) She's described as extremely, extremely hot, but why is she there in the first place? I did like the dynamic in Solanka and Mila's relationship though...furious, self-destructive - appropriate given the context of the novel.

Thanks for the heads up on Slavenka Drakulic. Her name sounds a bit...dour, but I'm sure her writing is lovely.

You collect Kundera? One of my friends collect first-editions (and sometimes signed) works by Pearl S. Buck. 'Cept, her motives are purely capitalist - she sells them on ebay and makes good pin money.
    Last edited by nausicaa; 07-22-2003 at 02:16 AM.

How could I forget Kundera's "The Joke"-- genius!

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov. Dark fantasy and satire set in communist Russia, so innovative and told with such sharp wit you can't even tell it's protest literature upon first reading. Satan and his black cat make appearances, as does Pontius Pilate in a dual narrative. Metafictional. Brilliant.
    Nausicaa! This is one of my favorite books of all time!!! I'm so happy to see someone else who's read it here.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Okay, I really need books suggested here. Most of them sounds like a fantastic read.

This is all caused by my girlish fascinations on romance novels. Now I've got two shelves of romance novels. New books I need!

Great suggestions people.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

i love Bulgakov's "Master & Margarita"-- one of my favorite reads from Russian Lit class in college..

I love russian lit-- but Dostoyevsky will always be my dawg...
    LOL!

Vic hugo's "Les Miserables" (i read in 1989, when I was 9 years old-- no lie--changed my life)
    and
    dostoyevsky's "crime and punishment"(-- when i was 17, in 1997-- also changed my life)

Two cornerstones...
    I love "The Brothers Karamazov"-- but my current Dostoyevsky (from my background as a political theory major) fave is "Notes from the Underground" and the short story, "Dream of a Ridiculous Man"

Book recs for Nausica (and anyone else):

Milan Kundera's "The Joke" and "Immortality"
    Slavenka Drakulic's "Cafe Europa" (non-fic)
    Edvard Radzinsky's "The Last Tsar" (non-fic, but reads like poetry...in a good way)

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Nausicaa! This is one of my favorite books of all time!!! I'm so happy to see someone else who's read it here.
    YAY!! A fellow lover of Bulgakov! For the longest time, I thought nobody this side of the Atlantic read him (or maybe I just hang out in the wrong circles... :O ) I remember going into the library one day and randomly picking up this book...I was so astounded by this masterpiece that I had to go out and buy Bulgakov's "Black Snow". Unfortunately, I later found out that there is a reason why most bookstores don't carry "Black Snow"...it's a pretty horrible read. Rambling and convoluted. Well, there's 20 dollars down the drain. :mad:

Book recs for Nausica (and anyone else):

Milan Kundera's "The Joke" and "Immortality"
    Slavenka Drakulic's "Cafe Europa" (non-fic)
    Edvard Radzinsky's "The Last Tsar" (non-fic, but reads like poetry...in a good way)
    Thanks, grantaire!

Quote Originally Posted by unexplained
    This is all caused by my girlish fascinations on romance novels. Now I've got two shelves of romance novels. New books I need
    Aww...don't be embarrassed, unexplained. There are plenty of good romance novels out there, so it's not a mark of bad taste. Who didn't like "Gone with the Wind" and "The Thorn Birds"?

+ Reply to Thread