+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: what's your favorite recent book?

These books aren't recent, but I read them recently, and liked them.
    Tess of the D'Urberveilles by Thomas Hardy (although I was disappointed with the ending)
    and Vanity Fair by William Thackeray.
    Both good reads.
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Books I finished reading in last 3 months:

"Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress" - Lucid prose, wry humor, and a surprisingly perceptive ending. Not one of the best books I have ever read, but certainly recommendable.

"The Smithsonian Institution" (Gore Vidal) - Satire. Subversion of American history. Hilarity. Enough said.

"The Glass Palace" (Amitav Ghosh) - Meh. Good prose, but conventional "epic"/"journey" plotline. Nothing too illuminating.

"Family Matters" (Rohinton Mistry) - Author has gone soft. Nothing compared to the brutal realism and flawless style of "A Fine Balance".

"Fury" (Salman Rushdie) - Convoluted structure and meaning, but brilliant prose (as always.)

"Thine is the Kingdom" (Abilio Estevez) - Couldn't finish. Think I'll stick w/ Marquez and Vargas to get my dose of "magical realism".

Books I reread within this month:

"Captain Corelli's Mandolin" (Louis de Bernieres) - As wonderful as I remembered. Not one of the more challenging books I have read, but one that I savoured immensely. Can't believe how much they butchered the movie.

"Ulverton" - OMG. Adam Thorpe is a genius. Difficult to get through, but some sections are pure lyricism.

Just finished Jane Eyre on Sunday. I guess if any of you folks who mentioned you were going to try reading it as well would like to talk about it, we could open a separate thread.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Hey Paulie,

I'm reading Jane Eyre right now. I'd love to discuss it; so a thread for it would be a great idea! Maybe we should open a separate "classics" thread as well for people who are into that sort of thing. Like me!

Hi!
    Never posted in this section before...

In the last two months or so,
    I've read some really good stuff:

Tammy Bruce's "The New Thought police"
    Bernard Goldberg's "BIAS"
    Milan Kundera's "Ignorance"
    Salman Rushdie's "Fury"
    Frank Bruni's "Ambling Into History: The Unlikely Odyssey of George W. Bush"
    and the book about SNL...the newish book...darn...Totally forgot the authors and title but I loved it to pieces!

Now I'm reading Salman Rushdie's "Satanic Verses"...slow-go, but a good read.

Nausica-- you read "Fury," too?
    Tres cool.
    I really enjoyed it...

Quote Originally Posted by grantaire02
    Nausica-- you read "Fury," too?
    Tres cool.
    I really enjoyed it...
    Well, it's a beautiful read, of course, but I think it fails, on some level, as a novel. There are so many stories, genres stuffed within one plotline that two-thirds of the way home, I felt the novel had somehow imploded. But maybe that's the effect that Rushdie was going for - maybe the congestion within the novel was supposed to be analogous to the congestion that exists in 21st century Manhattan. The apotheosis of the modern, and such...

But he writes on such an epic scope, and it's so exhilarating to read his works. There was almost an apocalyptic feel to this book, especially at the very end, which I think is cool.

Just my two cents. Rushdie wouldn't care. He's the toast of Hollywood, the darling of the literati, and the lover to beautiful Padma. I doubt he'd give a rat's ass as to what an impoverished college student thinks.

By the way, Grantaire02, I have never, ever read a book by Milan Kundera. I know I should, but I'm lazy. Someone once mentioned "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" in a conversation, and I replied, "uh...is that something by Proust?"

I wish I had captured her wince on camera.

I read Eric Jerome Dickey's The Other Woman recently. His novels are a very easy read with lots of passion and a knack for making the reader instantly visualize its characters and draws you in immediately.
    Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    I have never, ever read a book by Milan Kundera. I know I should, but I'm lazy. Someone once mentioned "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" in a conversation, and I replied, "uh...is that something by Proust?"
    Nausicaa, you really, really should read Kundera--I love his books, especially "The Unbearable Lightness of Being", which is very beautiful and one of the few books to really make me cry.

Anyone else read "Infinite Jest" or anything by David Foster Wallace?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread