+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: what's your favorite recent book?

I have just read through all the threads...shoulda done that before, but I'm new Anyhow, I'll tell you my top five books I've read in the past two years...out of 21 books....

1 Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund (Summer Read)
    2 The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
    3 The Map of Love by Ahdaf Soueif (summer Read)
    4 The Hero's Walk by Anita Rau Badami
    5 Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris

Be careful of the Joanne Harris book there are two copies the Perennial....imprint of HarperCollins...is missing the essence of the book while the other book....cover with winebottles has the essence.....we figured that one out at my bookclub. 7 out of 9 of us had the first and the other two women talked as though they read a different book...Bizarre:

Also, The Corrections isn't sounding too good....I just picked it up at the Library for $4. Oh, well

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Something by Sophie Kinsella. Can you keep a Secret?
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Originally posted by AliceBShoe
    If you want something completely different--something wickedly bizarre, twisted, and perverse (really, not for the faint-hearted!)--you must read Katherine Dunn's Geek Love. Aside from the disturbing twistedness, it also explores a lot of issues regarding human behavior. I absolutely loved the book--couldn't put it down. (I'm not sure what that says about me! ) We passed it around at work, and had fabulous conversations for weeks!
    Awww, I loved Geek Love ! I'm glad to see someone else who read & enjoyed it. I was so moved by and attached to the characters by the end of the novel, that I cried at its conclusion!

The sideshow freakiness of it is just an irreverent veneer for universal human issues of the need for love, the struggle for identity and acceptance.

I foisted this book on everyone I knew too... I'm surprised to not see that Katherine Dunn has done much else! This book seems to indicate that she is a gifted and enchanting storyteller.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I love to read! I don't know where to start when it comes to a list of favorites, so I'll just post info on the last two books I've read, and post some more as I remember.

1) McSweeney's Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales - I have a subscription to McSweeney's journal, which is an excellent publication of smart, witty, and literate short contemporary fiction, a must-read for fans of Dave Eggers (of Heartbreaking Work of Stagering Genius fame, which I loved, by the way). This latest issue is guest-edited by Pulitzer's own Michael Chabon (author of Wonder Boys and the absolutely phenomenal Adventures of Kavalier and Clay which I'd recommend to anyone) and features new work by him, and a host of other others like Stephen King, Elmore Leonard, and Nick Hornby. What's not to love about this? Pound for pound, a great value.

2) Bee Season - A touching, quirkily appealing account of a below-average grade school girl in NY who becomes, overnight, a spelling bee sensation. This book is really about an entire family of eccentrics--a dad who is an impassioned scholar of Jewish mysticism, a mom given over to kleptomania and schizophrenic delusions, a son struggling with his religious beliefs. Despite the subject matter, author Myla Goldberg never resorts to melodramatic or sentimental tricks to keep the reader. I really liked this one.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

FORT Regular
    I'm a big Jane Eyre fan so I decided to read all things Bronte. I was pleasantly surprised that I loved Ann Bronte's "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall." She doesn't get a lot of press but it was very good!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    1) McSweeney's Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales - I have a subscription to McSweeney's journal, which is an excellent publication of smart, witty, and literate short contemporary fiction, a must-read for fans of Dave Eggers (of Heartbreaking Work of Stagering Genius fame, which I loved, by the way). This latest issue is guest-edited by Pulitzer's own Michael Chabon (author of Wonder Boys and the absolutely phenomenal Adventures of Kavalier and Clay which I'd recommend to anyone) and features new work by him, and a host of other others like Stephen King, Elmore Leonard, and Nick Hornby. What's not to love about this? Pound for pound, a great value.
    Ah, SFG! Not only do you (normally) delight me with your beautiful avs, but you also post such great insights. I thought I was the only one who subscribed to McSweeney's. My college roommate suggested it to me after I completed Kavalier and Clay (which, as you say, is a highly-recommended marvelous read). My wife bought me a subscription for my birthday, and I've enjoyed all of the stories I've read from the Mammoth Treasury so far. Great suggestion!

Now when are we going to get rid of the (admittedly very nice) balloon figure and get some Monica pictures back there in your av?
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

BTW, Elizabeth, I'm reading Jane Eyre right now and enjoying it very much. Charlotte Bronte's prose is beautiful, and the story really has me in its clutches.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Ohhh Paulie, I absolutely love Jane Eyre. Such a wonderful story. I'm so glad you are enjoying it.
    Who shot who in the what now?

I can't put it down. The character of Jane is such a fascinating and endearing one. She's so vulnerable and yet so strong at the same time. She hopes for good, even in the face of so much unpleasantness that happens around her and, frequently, to her. I've got exactly 100 pages to go, and while they can't turn quickly enough for my appetite, I'll be sad when they're done.

Princess
    What a coincidence! Right now they are reading Jane Eyre as a series on the radio here in Sweden, and I'm following avidly .

+ Reply to Thread