+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: what's your favorite recent book?

FORT Fan
    I like the books Holes,Out of The Dust, To Kill a Mockingbird and The Pearl.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    I like just about everything by David Eddings. Can't get enough of his writing.

FORT Newbie
    I highly recommend A Heartbreaking Work of Stagger Genius by David Eggers. It's funny and sad and manic and thought-provoking. Also, Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer. This book blew my mind, so beautifully written, so hilarious and sad (I guess you can tell I like things funny and sad) and moving. Really amazing.

If you like poetry, check out Li-Young Lee (any book of his is great.) and Mark Doty.

Fade to black
    Excellent recommendation Manderly. Eggers book is wonderful. I also own "The City in Which I Love You" by Lee.

If you all haven't read Infinite Jest by David Wallace - that too is an excellent read.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

For those interested in a little non-fiction:

The Partly Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell is a pretty entertaining read. She has an amazing “history geek” (her words) mind. Even if you’re not a history geek, this is a very witty book.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

FORT Newbie
    Hi Hazy -- Lee's "Book of My Nights" is wonderful too. Don't you love the poem in "The City in Which I Love You" called "This Room and Everything In It"? I know you are a writer (read your half-finished article on the Clay thread). I think "This room and everything in it" expresses the challenge of trying to write so beautifully. It describes poetry (and writing in general) as an attempt, somehow both futile and profoundly worthwhile, to capture what can't be captured, name what can't be named.

Read it, people! (Sorry if that sounds bossy.)

I just finished "The Life of Pi" and enjoyed it.

It's abut an East Indian boy who ends up shipwrecked in a boat with a tiger. Very interesting and cool.

Originally posted by SpaceTiger
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. If you like fantasy, this one is da bomb!
    Make sure you read the rest of the series! It just gets better!
    To be a star: you must shine your own light; follow your own path; and don't be afraid of the darkness, for that's where stars shine brightest.

Watch The Amazing Race 4 on CBS Thursdays @ 8:00!!!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I'm a Robert B. Parker fan - prefer Spenser over Sunny

good book

I finished reading The Passion Of Artemisia by Susan Vreeland and LOVED it! I had no idea what it would be like and was pleasantly surprised. I also enjoyed Lovely Bones, I'm glad I read it before that little girl was found in Toronto otherwise I'd think it too real

+ Reply to Thread