+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: what's your favorite recent book?

do i have to pick one, well heres my list Ella Enchanted, Holes, and all the HP books ( cant wait till the 21)
    ~Kimber~remember vote for Chantel Kohl!

Vote for Chantel Kohl! Chickenbutt's Avatar
    my favorite is A Child called "IT"
    it was a very sad book... i cried
    Chickenbutt ~:>
    Vote for Chantel Kohl!

click the bunny

Haole, one of my all time faves is Jane Eyre too. I will discuss it with anyone who wants to. I just re-read Pride and Prejudice too. I love Austen.
    Who shot who in the what now?

GF, Haole, I loved Pride and Prejudice! Very very good. I admit that I tear when Mr. Darcy first told Jane he loved her.

``In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.''

Ah.

Ok back to topic. Am reading 'The Lovely Bones' now, seems like Jane Eyre is very good. I'll check that out.
    “In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders don’t vant to be general.” Sasha Pivovarova

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver) was oustanding! As was The Crystal Shard (R.A. Salvatore)!
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

I've always loved Jane Eyre, have reread it about 20 times, same is true for most of Jane Austin's books. May go see if I can get Lovely Bones at the Libery.. Got to find something better to read.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Originally posted by CaliGirl
    OMG nlmcp, I thought I was the ONLY person to have this reaction to this much-hyped book.

I totally hated it and also thought it was so dark and dreary. I wanted to kick myself for actually finishing the book, but the first 100 pages showed some promise that was never fullfilled.

I must have a masochistic streak in me somewhere.
    About a 1/3 of the way through I started rewritting the book in my head. Which is a very bad sign.

The book would have been much better if the whole "presentation of the new product" part had been 2 pages or less and more focus was spent on Enid and Albert's history as a couple, I was never able to get a good grasp of how this group of screwballs got to where they were and what's worse, I didn't care after awhile. If I wasn't so complusive, I would have set the darn book down about a thrid of the way through.

For a much better book that covers a family falling apart due to a father having dementia read "Dad" (the movie didn't do the book justice)
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Originally posted by Kimberlea22
    do i have to pick one, well heres my list Ella Enchanted, Holes, and all the HP books ( cant wait till the 21)
    I thought you meant you've been reading a series of Hewlett-Packard instructional manuals.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

ok, i finished "a widow for one year" by john irving. i LOVED it. highly recommended.

Also finished Widow, and agree with Sher, it is Irving's best work since Owen Meany.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

+ Reply to Thread