+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: what's your favorite recent book?

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by ajg113
    Pffft. What you evidently fail to realize is that I have priorities. FoRT bookclub 1, boyfriend recommendation 0.
    So, you'll be reading with us!

I sure am. I'm just not voting, because I'm happy to read whatever gets picked.

BTW, thank you Paulie for your input. I think I will give the book a shot eventually, but it is a little on the daunting side. Last time I read a book that long, I was in law school and being graded on it.

I realize the thread said "favorite recent books" but....I just got done reading "The Corrections". I hated it. It was just a dark depressing mixed up book that toward the end I was hoping the climax would be an explosion killing everyone. I forced myself to read it (because it's a complusion of mine, I cannot not finish a book) Now off to find something more interesting, meaningful and pleasant to read.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

If you want something completely different--something wickedly bizarre, twisted, and perverse (really, not for the faint-hearted!)--you must read Katherine Dunn's Geek Love. Aside from the disturbing twistedness, it also explores a lot of issues regarding human behavior. I absolutely loved the book--couldn't put it down. (I'm not sure what that says about me! ) We passed it around at work, and had fabulous conversations for weeks!

The narrator/main character is Olympia, a bald, hunchback, albino dwarf (--and she's the "normal" one in the family!) created by her mother who, to save the family's carni-businiess, ingests pharmaceuticals, insecticides, radioisotopes, and any other potentially mutagenic substances to breed a family of "freaks."
    That's all I'll say!

Originally posted by AliceBShoe
    If you want something completely different--something wickedly bizarre, twisted, and perverse (really, not for the faint-hearted!)--you must read Katherine Dunn's Geek Love....
    I might read that after we finish with the current book for the FORT bookclub. How do you find these books?

Oh, one of those "I heard about it from a friend, who got it from a friend, who heard about it from this guy. . . " I'd love to find more like it! (though it would frighten me if too many people were able to write this way!)

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by nlmcp
    I realize the thread said "favorite recent books" but....I just got done reading "The Corrections". I hated it. It was just a dark depressing mixed up book that toward the end I was hoping the climax would be an explosion killing everyone. I forced myself to read it (because it's a complusion of mine, I cannot not finish a book) Now off to find something more interesting, meaningful and pleasant to read.
    OMG nlmcp, I thought I was the ONLY person to have this reaction to this much-hyped book.

I totally hated it and also thought it was so dark and dreary. I wanted to kick myself for actually finishing the book, but the first 100 pages showed some promise that was never fullfilled.

I must have a masochistic streak in me somewhere.

FORT Fogey

And while we're at it...

Originally posted by hazyshadeof
    Anything by Nick Hornby I would highly recommend (he wrote High Fidelity and About a Boy, and the books are even better than the movies)
    I totally agree with you, hazy. I read the books long before I saw both films and the books were fabulous.

Finished The Anubis Gates last weekend, and it was wonderful throughout. A really fun read. Highly recommended.

I'm reading Jane Eyre right now and loving it.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I adore Jane Eyre! Also, I recently re-read Pride and Prejudice, which I have to do every few years, 'cause I love Austen. For a good beach book, try "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown. It'll have you searching the 'net and art history books, guaranteed. It isn't very deep and a little implausible, but it was a lot of fun.
    Ipse dixit.

+ Reply to Thread