+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Host by Stephenie Meyer

FORT Fanatic

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

I got this the day it came out and I am making myself take my time with it!

I only allow myself to read it when my girls are in dance class or I am in carpool line or someplace I am patiently waiting while they do something. It is my reward! Ha!

I like it so far.

Here is her website for an exerpt

StephenieMeyer.com | The Host

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie lovesóJared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

Re: The Host by Stephenie Meyer

I had the book arrive from Amazon May 7th and I am saving it until I have finished books previously taken out of library. I did read her excerpt on her cite which is why I ordered it from Amazon pre-release. Is it as good as the excerpt is?

FORT Fanatic

It is a little slow. I don't have problem putting it down like I did Twilight series. I have a lot going on right now so I keep bringing it to places but never picking it up. I am about 1/4 of the way in so far.

Hey Hang in there... that first 1/4 was hard for me too. It got better. I will say that the Twilight Series was and is way better. I am guessing that the Host will have a 2nd book. It just sort of ends when you are just getting into the book and well hang in there.

FORT Fanatic

That is good to hear. I am about half way and I am thinking I came this far and it feels like I am spinning my wheels. It is sort of a spurty book. Goes for a bit then stall stall stall.

I think it is the whole talking of the 2 minds that got me. But once they were on the run and when they found the humans I was pretty much OK .

As for the last chapter I really wanted a bit more and was left OK I guess she will write another one...hope she does? It was good but I think Twilight Series was way better and well my favorite. I do hope she continues to write more of twilight and well other books. She is really a wonderful story teller.(well that is how I put great writers.)

Anyway let me know what you think after you get to the end.

CCL

I'm still unsure about this book. I wanted to read the first couple of pages before deciding but the bookstore only had copies behind the counter (which is weird). I find the cover a bit creepy.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fanatic

I hate hate hate to say it but I was disappointed in this one. It takes a long long time to say very little. I got frustrated reading it and probably wouldn't read a sequal. Still love Twilight though and I saw the movie poster tonight and it was FANTASTIC!!

I know it was a hard thing to read Twilight and enjoy it so much. ( I have reread the series once and am on Twilight for the 3rd time. Since reading The Host. Trying to wait till I get to a library or bookstore...) I have thought about it and sort of Decided I want to try it one more time. I enjoyed the book after the first (1/4) of it. I really believe that Stephenie has a great way of telling stories and well I really think her characters are vivid and real likable. They are well defined in the story and bring it to life. We all see this in Twilight series so easily. (And let us face it everyone has to be drawn in just a bit by Vampires...I guess I should say Werewoves too for those Jacob fans.)

In the Host however I found it really hard to get around the 2 minds talking to each other. Then the memories of both when Wanda was remembering for both. It destracted me. (I guess it was destracting to both characters too.) This sort of intrigues me the way she has put it in story and how I felt reading it. I had a hard time. Just like you I found myself reading a paragraph...a line...and putting it down and not picking it back up for a few hours...mins. I can see where some would find this really frustrating and well lose the interest in the book. But Just speaking for myself. I wanted to finish it and well I forced my way through that and got to the point I really like the story. I am really a very picky reader and I really have a hard time finding Authors that keep my interest and well despite the harsh first part of the read I am sort of looking forward to reading it again to see if I still feel the same. I would probably read a sequel. I liked where the book ended and was wanting more.

Anyway Breaking Dawn will be out in just a few Days...75 I am really waiting on an edge of patience....impatience.
    Namway

I enjoyed the Host thoroughly. It was beautifully written and it wasn't difficult for me to get into. Stephenie Meyer's did a wonderful job of pulling me in and taking me through the lives and thoughts of both Melanie and Wonderer. I think having a story where two minds occupy the same body is pretty hard to pull off to begin with, but she definitely made it work. As for the pacing of the book, I didn't really have a problem with it because I felt like everything was going in real time. I was interested in knowing every detail about why things were they were and where everything was heading, and so I didn't mind the beginning section of the book.

I love the Twilight series, but I don't think it's really fair to compare Twilight with the Host. They are two completely different types of stories with different goals in mind. Twilight centers around vampires and romance and is targeted toward young adult woman, so of course it's going to be an easier read. Also, when ladies are reading about an intense romance and a character who basically is a god of a man, of course the pages are going to fly by in no time. The Host is a different type of love story centering more around familial love and hardships in a Sci-Fi setting. The book was a great read, and I think all of Stephenie Meyer's works are special in their own rights.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast