+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Re: The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Finally, I finished this. It took me a little while to get into it. I would read a little, put it down, and take a while to pick it up again. Once I got to the part where
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Melanie and Wanderer reach Jeb's caves
    , I was hopelessly hooked. The ending surprised me. I loved that!
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I suspected that Wanderer would sacrifice herself for Melanie and Melanie would get the happily ever after. For a second, I even wondered if Ian would offer himself to be her host. Them finding another host for her so that she could remain with them and be with Ian was perfect, as was revealing other humans working with the aliens.
    Well done, spegs!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

It's still cool when you walk by the book section at Sam's, see her books and think "Wow, I know her and have partied with her and her husband."

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3097108;
    Finally, I finished this. It took me a little while to get into it. I would read a little, put it down, and take a while to pick it up again. Once I got to the part where
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Melanie and Wanderer reach Jeb's caves
    , I was hopelessly hooked. The ending surprised me. I loved that!
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I suspected that Wanderer would sacrifice herself for Melanie and Melanie would get the happily ever after. For a second, I even wondered if Ian would offer himself to be her host. Them finding another host for her so that she could remain with them and be with Ian was perfect, as was revealing other humans working with the aliens.
    Well done, spegs!

That's pretty much how I felt about it, Lil -- it was slow till the point you mentioned, then it really picked up. I ended up liking it very much, and I'm so proud of our Spegs! Time magazine did a whole big article on her.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I loved this book! I admit, I am a big fan of the Twilight series so I wondered if she could pull something scifi'ish off and she did very well!!
    I understand that many found it difficult in the beginning, I wasn't bored (loved chapter 4 which was featured in her sneak peak) but the first 100 pages were a little hard for me to wrap my head around. I feel they were essential, but they were like learning a new language, and it took me a bit to really grasp hold. And I agree with all that after
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Her uncle Jeb found her in the dessert
    I was riveted and could not put it down.

I really look forward to the sequel and all the other books she is working on - including, time travel novel and the ghost romance "Summer House". (I was a sucker for the movie "The Ghost and Mrs Muir" from a hundred years ago and have enjoyed reading about that topic ever since.) I really hope that she decides to finish and publish "Midnight Sun" also, the first chapter that she has for viewing on her website is very powerful and I look forward (& long for) to reading the fist Twilight book from Edward's perspective.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Im starting it in just a few minutes I was worried because I LOVE the twilight series so much, and I dont want to be dissapointed, but my friend who has read it said that if she wasnt so obsessed with the twilight series, then she would think the host was "as good" so, im excited.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3127844;
    Im starting it in just a few minutes I was worried because I LOVE the twilight series so much, and I dont want to be dissapointed, but my friend who has read it said that if she wasnt so obsessed with the twilight series, then she would think the host was "as good" so, im excited.
    It is different content then Twilight (which is very easy reading). But, the first hundred are more of a history lesson sort of. It is providing you with background and understanding so the material while necessary is dry.

But, once the real story get's going - every bit of it is exciting. With the Twilight series, I was hooked from the start.

I look forward to the sequel to Host!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I just got it today, and I can't wait to start it. Not that I don't enjoy the Twilight series--far from it--but I'm very excited to see what my dear Spegsy does with a different genre.

By the way, I have to post the praise she's received for The Host, because it's extremely high:

"Stephenie Meyer is an amazing phenomenon--out of the brightness of her mind and spirit comes the illuminated darkness of her stories. For no matter how much pain her characters suffer, Meyer infuses the tales with light and hope." - Freakin' Orson Scott Card.

Then, another review describes her as "hybrid combination of Stephen King and Isaac Asimov."

I loved The Host and after hearing the praise for the Twilight series bought Twilight. I didn't dislike Twilight but I honestly didn't see what the big deal was/ It was good but it didn't draw me in the way most books do. I finished it and wasn't mad I read it but I'm not sure I'll get the other books in that series. I'm very big into vampires, werewolves, etc (Laurell K. Hamilton is my fav. author) but just could not fall in love with Stephanie through Twilight.

BUT The Host made me want to read more of her stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel1680;3130455;
    I loved The Host and after hearing the praise for the Twilight series bought Twilight. I didn't dislike Twilight but I honestly didn't see what the big deal was/ It was good but it didn't draw me in the way most books do. I finished it and wasn't mad I read it but I'm not sure I'll get the other books in that series. I'm very big into vampires, werewolves, etc (Laurell K. Hamilton is my fav. author) but just could not fall in love with Stephanie through Twilight.

BUT The Host made me want to read more of her stuff.
    For the Twilight series, it was the characters that I fell in love with. Loving the characters is a personal thing between author and reader. While the author provides very descriptive character analysis, a lot of it is still in the readers imagination. When I started reading Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire series, I was not as attracted to the characters at first, because Twilight vampires were my first exposure to what I knew/expected of vampires. It took me awhile to warm up to the series, but now I love them as well.

I found the reading of the Twilight series very easy, as is usually the case with "young adult" books; but the story line becomes more complex with each additional book. Eclipse (book 3) was my favorite. You might find them growing more enjoyable, as you read more of them...
    Christopher Reeve

I listened to the audiobook and loved it. It is long, 20 CDs, 23 hours and yes I did put it down about half way for a couple of days. The reader/narrator really makes it very easy to listen to an distinguish between the characters of Melanie and Wanda.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast