+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

Re: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

Twilight Lexicon has been posting some diary type entries by one of the people chosen to be an extra for the Twilight movie. It is interesting to read, and I have once again noticed that people are thinking Robert Pattinson portrayal of Edward is spot on. He is said to be amazing when he gets into character and similar comments have been made about Kristen as Bella. While I am not interested enough to read the daily diary entries, it is reassuring to know that people think they are amazing in the roles. The diary person said that while Robert looks very pale and pretty in pictures, in real life he looks dead, beautiful, and a little dangerous. (sounds like Edward to me).

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Back to the title---books into movies... Jumper... book MUCH better. On the other hand the presence of the movie got the books into my grocery store where I came across them, so that's a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2880778;
    Back to the title---books into movies... Jumper... book MUCH better. On the other hand the presence of the movie got the books into my grocery store where I came across them, so that's a plus.
    Twilight is a best seller book written by a member of the FORT, Stephenie Meyers - am I posting in the wrong thread because the movie is still in production? I apologize - I will stick to the Edward and Bella thread. Sorry and Thanks!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2880778;
    I never read the book or saw the movie. Can you give a small synopsis? I'm always looking for both good books and movies.

I am probably the ONLY one on FORT that will not see the Twighlit movie. I think it's great that a member of FORT wrote very successful books and that one is being made a movie. As a frustrated writer myself, I know that is a truly major accomplishment and one ot be proud of. But after the first book, I really started not liking them. My daughter however is fascinated with them and can't wait for the movie. I dunno, they just weren't exactly my cup of tea and I'll probably skip the movie.
    Still congrats to the author, my hat is off to her.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;2881973;
    Twilight is a best seller book written by a member of the FORT, Stephenie Meyers - am I posting in the wrong thread because the movie is still in production? I apologize - I will stick to the Edward and Bella thread. Sorry and Thanks!
    No, sorry, Mike'sgirl---didn't mean to imply that! Just that all the discussion had been on one book/movie for a while, and wanted to indicate why I was changing the subject...returning to the general concept of the thread.
    myrosiedog--Jumper is part of a (short) series by Gould about people who have the ability to, basically, teleport to any place they've seen before and can visualize. I found it because it was made into a movie, out recently, and our grocery store carried it. There is also a 2nd book called Jumper, XXX's Story (sorry, can't recall what name XXX was!), that is more like the movie, as the movie took a LOT of liberties with the original book. Both books share the theme of being an orphaned coming of age jumper who has to conceal his powers as anti-jumpers are out to kill all the jumpers. They spend time trying to learn how to control their powers (e.g., taking photos of jump sites to help you remember them), support themselves even though under age, survive the bad guys, etc. There's also a 3rd book, one of the original two, that I haven't found yet. Both books I've read are good, as coming of age SF novels. If you accept the power the rest follows pretty logically. How would YOU use such a power, is the question it raises.
    I mentioned them briefly under the Science fiction/fantasy thread.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2883474;
    No, sorry, Mike'sgirl---didn't mean to imply that! Just that all the discussion had been on one book/movie for a while, and wanted to indicate why I was changing the subject...returning to the general concept of the thread.
    myrosiedog--Jumper is part of a (short) series by Gould about people who have the ability to, basically, teleport to any place they've seen before and can visualize. I found it because it was made into a movie, out recently, and our grocery store carried it. There is also a 2nd book called Jumper, XXX's Story (sorry, can't recall what name XXX was!), that is more like the movie, as the movie took a LOT of liberties with the original book. Both books share the theme of being an orphaned coming of age jumper who has to conceal his powers as anti-jumpers are out to kill all the jumpers. They spend time trying to learn how to control their powers (e.g., taking photos of jump sites to help you remember them), support themselves even though under age, survive the bad guys, etc. There's also a 3rd book, one of the original two, that I haven't found yet. Both books I've read are good, as coming of age SF novels. If you accept the power the rest follows pretty logically. How would YOU use such a power, is the question it raises.
    I mentioned them briefly under the Science fiction/fantasy thread.
    Cool, sounds like something I'd enjoy. I'll see if the library has them.

Thanks for the info.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Jumper is the type of book that I love reading and somehow never heard about it - thank you for mentioning it PWS! (and I have to admit I was obsessing about that Twilight series.) Now that everyone in my family has finally read the books, I can move on until the movie comes out

The Robber Bride, one of Margaret Atwood's novels - and one that I love - was done by the CBC. Any other Canadians watch it last night? A truly horrible adaptation. The only thing it had in common with the book were the female characters, and even they were skewed. Tony was the only one that slightly resembled her character as written, and could they not have made at least a small effort to age Zenia along with her contemporaries? Updating it (the book was set in the early '90's) didn't work for me either. I shut it off in disgust halfway through.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2903015;
    Any other Canadians watch it last night? A truly horrible adaptation.
    I had planned to, but while I was piddling about on the computer, I decided to read a review or two and they made me rear back in horror, so I watched DWTS instead.

Are you aware that the character of Zenia is purportedly based on Barbara Amiel? Probably everyone is - I remain completely and firmly out of the loop. Anyway, that little tidbit increased my pleasure in the book exponentially as I have a long-term and deep-seated hatred of Babs.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2903127;
    Are you aware that the character of Zenia is purportedly based on Barbara Amiel?
    I am, in fact I recall the rumours swirling around when the book was originally published. I think my mom started them, she shares your distaste for Amiel.

I hate being disappointed like that, though. I was really aggravated that they turned the story into an insipid murder mystery that's not even worthy of a Law & Order episode. And I was just pissed that they made Tony, Roz and Charis into a pack of vindictive harridans when Atwood had so beautifully developed their characters in the book.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread