+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

Re: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

I have Mansfield Park taped but haven't watched it yet. I'll have to get to it before P&P starts. Glad to hear Mary is well-portrayed, she's my favourite character from that book.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Critical - thank you for the encouragement, I did watch and enjoyed Mansfield Park as well! I agree that the actress was miscast, and much preferred Frances O'Conner (1999) in the role of Fanny Price.

CCL I was surprised that I enjoyed Miss Austen regrets, perhaps because I enjoyed the actress who portrayed Jane. I have no idea how closely it followed Jane's life and for all I know it could have been a very loose adaptation- but for me it was a little peak into her life. I enjoyed seeing and imagining her through it.

Can't wait to see my favorite Mr Darcy again! Love Colin Firth (I watch whatever he is in even when the movie is hard to find (The Importance of Being Ernest).

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2783036;
    Glad to hear Mary is well-portrayed, she's my favourite character from that book.
    William Price is probably the only character I could name as a favorite, because he's the only one I never want to smack. But I do like Mary; I think she's really compelling. I thought the girl who played Mary in this latest version did a great job with the script she was given, but I hated the script. I like Fanny too, but the Fanny in this film was pretty much a bastardization all the way.

Miss Austen Regrets was quite dark and dreary. I enjoyed the meeting with the Prince Regent's clerk, but really my favorite part of it was the preview for P&P they showed at the end. Even the music makes me happy.

CCL

Thanks for the input, Mike'sgirl. I do like Olivia Williams. Interesting how there's been two film versions of Jane Austen's life made in the last year - Becoming Jane with Anne Hathaway (aka young and peppy Jane Austen) and Miss Austen Regrets which, based solely on the preview, looks like it portrays Austen as a more withdrawn, almost worn, character. I wonder if, two hundred years from now, there will be multiple film versions of JK Rowling's life (or whoever).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

There is also another movie dealing with the Austen theme entitled The Jane Austen Book Club, about modern day Californians who read and discuss a different Jane Austen book each month. Based on Karen Joy's 2004 book Book Club. which I am looking forward too seeing. A lot of JA attention these days.

Interesting CCL Yes, I don't know why I never thought about it but JK Rowling's life would probably also stand out in the future as a literary figurehead. The fact that she has inspired children all over the world to read is something significant, and her HP books were masterfully created.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;2784772;
    There is also another movie dealing with the Austen theme entitled The Jane Austen Book Club, about modern day Californians who read and discuss a different Jane Austen book each month. Based on Karen Joy's 2004 book Book Club. which I am looking forward too seeing. A lot of JA attention these days.
    Loved the movie! Actually liked it more than the book, which is unusual. I think that I expected the book to be more about Austen than it was. The movie has a great cast and is really quite good. My only beef is that it is supposedly set in Sacramento and it certainly doesn't look like they filmed the exteriors here. I didn't recognize anything. Granted, I haven't live here my whole life, but I thought something would look familiar to me. One of the characters is supposed to live 20 miles north of the city in some new development that doesn't exist! 20 miles north of the city is pretty much farmland.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2784930;
    Loved the movie! Actually liked it more than the book, which is unusual. I think that I expected the book to be more about Austen than it was. The movie has a great cast and is really quite good. My only beef is that it is supposedly set in Sacramento and it certainly doesn't look like they filmed the exteriors here. I didn't recognize anything. Granted, I haven't live here my whole life, but I thought something would look familiar to me. One of the characters is supposed to live 20 miles north of the city in some new development that doesn't exist! 20 miles north of the city is pretty much farmland.
    Hah - that's fiction for you! I think movies always stretch a little from books anyway, but I am glad to know you enjoyed it even more then the book ( I like that girl that was in Devil's Wears Prada - was that Emily Blunt ?) and I look forward to it - thanks Critical!

Twilight movie will be released nationwide on December 12, 2008.

"Meyer's amazing year will be capped off by a major motion picture event. Summit Entertainment will bring Twilight to the big screen, directed by Catherine Hardwicke ("Thirteen," "Lords of Dogtown") and starring Kristen Stewart ("Into The Wild") and Robert Pattinson ("Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"). It will be released nationwide on December 12, 2008."

StephenieMeyer.com | Twilight Series | Breaking Dawn

OK, I'm kinda obsessive about Bella & Edward tonight. I just saw the names of a few more actors cast in the movie Twilight courtesy of Twilight Lexicon:
    Bella: Kristen Stewart
    Edward: Robert Pattinson
    Eric: Justin Chon
    Jessica: Anna Kendrick
    James: Cam Gigandet

Twilight Lexicon ~ The Official Stephenie Meyer Fan Sponsored Information And Discussion Site

ETA: Justin Chon looks more like Jacob Black then Eric - I wonder if that was a mistake?

Hollywood reporter announced today that Michael Welch will play the part of Michael Newton; still no word on who is playing Jacob Black.

He played Luke in Joan of Arcadia

+ Reply to Thread