+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 146
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

  1. #41
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

    Bearcata,

    I too was SO disappointed with Interview with a Vampire and Queen of the Damned. Anne Rice's books were so good and the movies were horrible. And part of the horribleness was Tom Cruise and I liked him back then.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  2. #42
    FORT Fogey Starbucks880's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

    I think they did a good job with the Bourne movies, though I never would have seen Matt Damon as Jason Bourne, but he did do a good job.

    I just recently saw The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and it was as good as the book. Has anyone else seen/heard of it? I am not sure how many French people or Americans who watch foreign movies are on here. I do know in America it isn't wide release. They are both very compelling and I really recommend it.

  3. #43
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,911

    Re: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

    Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2753220;
    Frequently an issue. Hollywood's idea of homely differs vastly from the rest of the world's. Usually it means slightly mussed hair or something.
    True, and it seriously annoys me. Not theatrical releases, but the actress who plays Barbara Havers in the series based on the Elizabeth George books is waaaaay too attractive. Apparently no styling product and some ill-fitting clothes means you are homely (sad to say for me ).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  4. #44
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,696

    Re: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks880;2754033;
    I think they did a good job with the Bourne movies, though I never would have seen Matt Damon as Jason Bourne, but he did do a good job.

    I just recently saw The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and it was as good as the book. Has anyone else seen/heard of it? I am not sure how many French people or Americans who watch foreign movies are on here. I do know in America it isn't wide release. They are both very compelling and I really recommend it.
    I went to see the first Bourne movie with a friend and thoroughly enjoyed it. The second movie of course suffered from sequelitis and predictable plot of killing the girlfriend and lots of action and not very much plot. Still have to see number three. Overall I thought the movies were good. Then another friend told me that the Bourne movies do not resebly the novels at all. I checked the wiki entries for the plot synopsis and he was right. The only thing the Bourne movies and the Bourne novels share is the name.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  5. #45
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,696

    Re: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2753923;
    Bearcata,

    I too was SO disappointed with Interview with a Vampire and Queen of the Damned. Anne Rice's books were so good and the movies were horrible. And part of the horribleness was Tom Cruise and I liked him back then.
    While I thought Tom Cruise was a mistake of casting. I had also heard that John Travolta had indicated interest in the movie. Again I was thinking no way would that ever work. Still with some hindsight, Travolta did resurrect his career. I think he has better acting chops than TC does. Travolta does crazy villans well.

    I would luv to see Lindsey Davis's Marcus Didius Falco novels on PBS. Rome got such a positive response on HBO (?) that I think a historical mystery series would do well.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  6. #46
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,352

    Re: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2754166;
    True, and it seriously annoys me. Not theatrical releases, but the actress who plays Barbara Havers in the series based on the Elizabeth George books is waaaaay too attractive. Apparently no styling product and some ill-fitting clothes means you are homely (sad to say for me ).
    That's one of the many reasons I won't ever watch that series. I LOVE the books and never want to have someone else's vision of the books in my head. I've heard they're done well, but I just can't bring myself to watch.

    I'm the same way about James and the Giant Peach. It was one of my very favorite books as a child - I probably read it dozens of times - and the edition we had was full of these wonderful drawings. I never saw the Tim Burton movie because I didn't want those images replaced in my mind

    Well, I watched Persuasion last night and it was okay. It did include a few plot points that the 1995 version did not - most notably, the stuff with Mr. Elliot and his scheming was much more fleshed-out. Still, I found it less compelling and found little chemistry between the actors playing Anne and Frederick (who was very cute, but almost too cute). I also found the camera work very distracting - have they heard of a steady cam?. Plus, what was with Anne running all over hell and half of creation trying to find Frederick at the end? It's been a few years since the last time I read the book, but I don't remember Anne becoming a marathoner. All in all, the 1995 version was MUCH better. Maybe not as close to the book in every little detail as this new version, but much closer in spirit. Also, the actress who played Mary in this new version couldn't touch Sophie Thompson, who was perfection in the role. I did enjoy seeing Tobias Menzies (Brutus from Rome) as Mr. Elliot, although I didn't think he had the right level of smarminess that Samuel West had.

    Yeah, so all in all, there really was no need for them to remake Persuasion, especially if they weren't going to do it better.

    Nest stop, Northanger Abbey! It's my least favorite Austen, so maybe I won't be so, um....Critical
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  7. #47
    Wonky snarkmistress Lucy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Playing kickball for the beer
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,870

    Re: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2754273;
    That's one of the many reasons I won't ever watch that series. I LOVE the books and never want to have someone else's vision of the books in my head. I've heard they're done well, but I just can't bring myself to watch.
    I love the books too, but there are so many of the TV series that don't seem to be to be in any of the books that I'm pretty much able to enjoy them both as entirely separate entities. I do love a good British murder mystery show anyway.


    Yeah, so all in all, there really was no need for them to remake Persuasion, especially if they weren't going to do it better.

    Nest stop, Northanger Abbey! It's my least favorite Austen, so maybe I won't be so, um....Critical
    I'd never seen the 1995 Persuasion, so I was ok with this one. It did inspire me to start reading the book last night -- I've got two copies, somehow, but I don't know that I ever really read it. I think with Austen, I loved P&P, Sense and Sensibility, Emma and Northanger Abbey, and ignored the rest.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

  8. #48
    FORT Fogey Starbucks880's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2754232;
    I went to see the first Bourne movie with a friend and thoroughly enjoyed it. The second movie of course suffered from sequelitis and predictable plot of killing the girlfriend and lots of action and not very much plot. Still have to see number three. Overall I thought the movies were good. Then another friend told me that the Bourne movies do not resebly the novels at all. I checked the wiki entries for the plot synopsis and he was right. The only thing the Bourne movies and the Bourne novels share is the name.
    It has been years since I have read those novels, so I don't remember everything, but yes, there are many differences between the books and the movies. This is one of the few situations where they made them good enough where I don't mind it because they didn't ruin it. I didn't like the second movie as well either, however, with the third movie they did make it much, much better.

  9. #49
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

    I liked the Bourne Movies much better than the books and I used to read a lot of Robert Ludlum (before I realized there were better authors out there. )
    The 3rd Bourne movie is much better than the 2nd. Right up there with the first and Matt Damon is great as Bourne.

    I am reading Capote's "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and I have to say that they changed so much in the movie. But this is a case where I happen to have liked both the book (novella, short story?) and the movie.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  10. #50
    FORT Fogey Starbucks880's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2755956;
    I liked the Bourne Movies much better than the books and I used to read a lot of Robert Ludlum (before I realized there were better authors out there. )The 3rd Bourne movie is much better than the 2nd. Right up there with the first and Matt Damon is great as Bourne.

    I am reading Capote's "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and I have to say that they changed so much in the movie. But this is a case where I happen to have liked both the book (novella, short story?) and the movie.
    Maybe you are right about that. I truely don't remember a lot of the books even though I did read them all and probably still have them somewhere around the house, maybe the fact that he is so forgettable to me says something about the books. But yeah, Matt Damon was great.

    How ironic that you are reading Breakfast at Tiffany's because I just started it, too! I am kind of embarassed to say I just happened to have seen it in the bookstore and was like "Oh my gosh, there is actually a book, too!" so I bought it. As someone who is a book-lover, I was surprised that knowledge had escaped me. I am liking the book, though.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.