+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

Re: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2746125;
    You're right, Critical - the 1995 version was made by the BBC. I guess they figured they could do a better version? Seems weird to remake it only 12 years later. I don't know. I thought the 1995 version was very good, personally. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.
    That movie version was the only one that I saw - but I loved it! We are traveling now but I did set tivo to record this one. Hope I am not disappointed. I would have been happy to see the 1995 version again also.

Okay, the second airing of Persuasion is starting in a few minutes (yes, it's after 1 a.m. here) and I'm going to watch it. I'm going to try to keep an open mind. It's my favorite Austen, along with P&P, so I have tough standards. I hope it doesn't stink because that would mean the BBC wasted money making a movie when they had a perfect version of it already.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Clan of the Cave Bear - the book was a best seller and out for years before I read it, but I finally did. Loved the imagery, the scents, and sounds of the world that Jean Auel created. Was totally excited when I heard they had made a movie with Darryl Hannah. The movie was terrible. Partly, I think, due to the fact that translating the authors descriptions of the flora and fauna and how Creb's people perceive and operate in that world to a visual medium was a very difficult task that the director, writers and productions crew all failed at miserably. I think that this movie could be done now with say a director like Guillermo Del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth) who has a real feel for creating other worlds and the people who populate them.

Star Wars - for a someone who had been reading sci fi and fantasy since 1st grade the plot of the movie was so simplistic and naive that I had to go see the film 7 times before I could relax enough and not compare lack of story and continuaty and just enought it for what it was. Reading the novel that came out at the same time or right before was also a big dissapointment. While George Lucas can direct a film and create a big business he is not a good writer.

note: I never read the book before I go see a movie else I will just sit there and list everything that is missing as far as plot and minor characters and missing scenes.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;2752531;
    That movie version was the only one that I saw - but I loved it! We are traveling now but I did set tivo to record this one. Hope I am not disappointed. I would have been happy to see the 1995 version again also.
    The 1995 BBC version came out in theatres here (Canada) as I recall (I remember seeing it in a theatre at least). Which is weird. I didn't watch the new Persuasion last night because I didn't feel like it. Should have taped it. Drat.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Die Hard - great movie. Based on the 1979 novel "Nothing Lasts Forever" by Roderick Thorp. Saw the movie first, read the credits and got the books from the library. Not a bad novel. But it was interesting to see how a movie is created from a book. How the characters are changed, how the plot is changed. Die Hard the movie is a superior product but both movie and book can stand on their own.

Die Hard2 - suffers from a severe form of sequelitis, in other words, alot more bang then plot. In this case the book "58 Minutes" by Walter Wager is better than the movie. Again I give a lot of credit to whoever can read a book and be able to translate a written medium into a visual one. The book itself would have made a great movie but it did not contain all the bang bang that seems to be the signature of a "Die Hard" movie.

Interview with a Vampire - Ugh! A shear disaster of a movie inspired by a novel. Let's not even go into Tom Cruise as Lestat. Double Ugh!

Queen of the Damned - this was worse then the previous movie. Didn't even resembly the book. Well, barely.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 01-14-2008 at 02:04 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2752709;
    Okay, the second airing of Persuasion is starting in a few minutes (yes, it's after 1 a.m. here) and I'm going to watch it. I'm going to try to keep an open mind. It's my favorite Austen, along with P&P, so I have tough standards. I hope it doesn't stink because that would mean the BBC wasted money making a movie when they had a perfect version of it already.

I really did enjoy it, Crit, mostly because the Capt. Wentworth was a cutie. But I hadn't seen the other one.

I just saw on the PBS website that after they're done with Austen, they've got a different version of "A Room With A View" on in April. I am not at all sure I will like it without Helena Bonham Carter and whatshisname that played George, but I do love that movie.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

So yeah, Persuasion is on tonight, not last night. I guess I'll be up super late for another night!

Lucy - I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. That gives me hope! My problem with some of the movies is that they ignore character descriptions in the book. Like with Sense and Sensibility and the character of Edward. He is supposed to be quite homely and no one could ever call Hugh Grant homely. I remember that the Jane-ites were all in a tizzy over his casting. I did like him in the part, but it was definitely a departure BIG TIME. I don't remember if Frederick was handsome in the book or not. I just loved Ciaran Hinds as Frederick so much. I have to make an effort to be open-minded.

CCL - the 1995 version of Persuasion was definitely in theaters in the U.S. too I saw it in a little art house theater in the college town where I lived at the time. It was a converted garage (like a mechanic's garage) that had "new" seats courtesy of the oldest theater in town. The first row was three big couches. I was on the middle couch (got there an hour early ) for Persuasion. I miss that theater.
    Last edited by Critical; 01-14-2008 at 02:44 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2753070;

CCL - the 1995 version of Persuasion was definitely in theaters in the U.S. too I saw it in a little art house theater in the college town where I lived at the time. It was a converted garage (like a mechanic's garage) that had "new" seats courtesy of the oldest theater in town. The first row was three big couches. I was on the middle couch (got there an hour early ) for Persuasion. I miss that theater.
    Oh my, that reminds me of the theatre in Stars Hollow on Gilmore Girls. Was Kirk dishing out the popcorn?

I wonder if Persuasion is on tonight where I am. Will have to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    My problem with some of the movies is that they ignore character descriptions in the book. Like with Sense and Sensibility and the character of Edward. He is supposed to be quite homely and no one could ever call Hugh Grant homely.
    Frequently an issue. Hollywood's idea of homely differs vastly from the rest of the world's. Usually it means slightly mussed hair or something.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2753220;
    Oh my, that reminds me of the theatre in Stars Hollow on Gilmore Girls. Was Kirk dishing out the popcorn?
    Actually, it was kind of like the theater in Star's Hollow, now that you mention it! Sadly, Kirk was not on popcorn. They played old standards before the movie started and it wasn't unusual for people to get up and dance. Also, if they had sold out all of the actual seats, you could still pay to get in and they let you sit on the floor at the front. We used to buy big bags of candy and pass them around to everyone in the place. I don't miss much about that town, but I definitely miss that theater.

My PBS station has a searchable schedule on its website. Maybe yours does too. I checked and the only time Persuasion is playing this week is at 1:30 a.m. I guess I'll be taking nap later so I can stay up to watch. FYI for those of us keeping score, the next two Sundays are Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park.

All this talk of Austen is making me want to go re-read them all! I usually read Persuasion once every year or so and I do Pride and Prejudice and Mansfield Park about every two years.

I just checked out the cast for Persuasion and I actually do recognize the actor playing Frederick - Rupert Penry-Jones - he's definitely a cutie pie. I was also pleasantly surprised to see Anthony Head (aka Giles for you Buffy fans) playing Sir Walter. I'll be interested to see if he can bring the right levels of foppery, arrogance and ridiculous vanity to the role.

Crit - have no fear, this Anne is definitely homely. Wentworth is nice-looking, but the actress who played Anne really dominated the movie. I think I was most pleased with the Musgrove girls, who were just as I'd pictured them.

The actor who played Capt. Harville is Joseph Mawle, and I thought he was the same one who played Wickham in P&P. I googled and I'm way off, but obviously I thought there was a pretty strong resemblance.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread