+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

Re: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

This is a little ways off, but I just saw the teaser trailer for 8-hour series of The Pillars of the Earth on Starz and I got a little giddy. It premieres in July. Here's an article about it, which includes the trailer: The Pillars of the Earth teaser trailer from Starz

The cast looks awesome - Ian McShane as Walleran, with Donald Sutherland, Rufus Sewell (as Tom Builder), Hayley Atwell, Matthew Macfayden....I can't wait! I loved the book and, if it had to be adapted, I'm glad it's getting 8 hours instead of 2 with a feature film.

Based on the trailer alone, I'm hopeful!
    Last edited by Critical; 04-19-2010 at 02:34 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Oh, one of my favorite books. I can't wait for the mini-series.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I didn't even know they were making this into a movie! I'm excited about this series because I think it would have been awful to try and cram that entire story into a 2-3 hour feature. I'm going to have to go home tonight and make sure I still have Starz in my current cable package!!! I read the book a couple of months ago and just loved it!

I hate when it is too late to edit my last post!

I just went and watched the trailer. It looks really good! My only initial "complaint" is that the actress that I *think* they have playing Regan Hamleigh is way too pretty. It looks like they took a beautiful woman and put some "gunk" on the side of her face. The description in the book has Regan so hideous that she is difficult to look at - the woman is supposed to be ugly inside and out!

There is always a chance I had the wrong actress from the trailer pegged in that role, I'm just not sure who else she could be...

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3880429;

I just went and watched the trailer. It looks really good! My only initial "complaint" is that the actress that I *think* they have playing Regan Hamleigh is way too pretty. It looks like they took a beautiful woman and put some "gunk" on the side of her face. The description in the book has Regan so hideous that she is difficult to look at - the woman is supposed to be ugly inside and out!

There is always a chance I had the wrong actress from the trailer pegged in that role, I'm just not sure who else she could be...
    The actress playing her is Sarah Parish. She was in the Holiday. One of my faves. She is quite attractive.
    Filmmakers have a penchant for taking attractive people and trying to make us think they are ugly by adding on a superficial makeup scar or something else.
    Years ago they took Michelle Pfeiffer, an incredibly beautiful woman, and miscast her in a movie called Frankie and Johnny. The role was originated on Broadway by Kathy Bates - the polar opposite of Michelle Pfeiffer.
    I saw Michele Pfeiffer several years ago in a local delicatessen. This was when people could still smoke in restaurants. There was Michelle, puffing away with her hair uncombed and no makeup on.
    Dare I say that she still looked better than anyone in that restaurant that day?
    Well, her character in Frankie and Johnny was similarly tousled to look unattractive. It didn't work.
    Not sure if the same will happen with Ms. Parish, but looking at the picture, she just looks, to me, like a pretty woman with a facial scar.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3880429;

No, that is Regan. Really though, I don't know that I want to look at someone with boils all over their face for 8 hours! They've apparently made some changes to the plot, but nothing I was all that disappointed about. If you go to the listing on IMDB for the show, you can find the list in the message board topic at the bottom of the page.

When a book I love gets adapted, I try really hard to understand that, for the purposes of narrative and just translating it to film, they do need to make changes. Sometimes it's REALLY hard to be okay with those changes, but I still try (and sometimes fail! ) . Based on the trailer, I think I'll be happy with this adaptation. Really, I'm such a huge fan of Rufus Sewell, that I'd be happy to watch him read a phone book for 8 hours.

For those of you who love this book, I HIGHLY recommend Edward Rutherfurd's Sarum, which is set in Salisbury and deals quite a bit with the building of the cathedral AND When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman, which focuses more on the story of Stephen and Maud and their struggle for the throne than Follett does in POTE. Both are excellent.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth will be an 8 hour miniseries this summer on STARZ. There will be a 2 hour premiere on July 23 and then 6 1 hour episodes to follow.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3880948;
    When a book I love gets adapted, I try really hard to understand that, for the purposes of narrative and just translating it to film, they do need to make changes. Sometimes it's REALLY hard to be okay with those changes, but I still try (and sometimes fail! ) . Based on the trailer, I think I'll be happy with this adaptation. Really, I'm such a huge fan of Rufus Sewell, that I'd be happy to watch him read a phone book for 8 hours.
    I generally have the same take on books into movies. I really do try to be understanding of the plot changes! I have loved watching Rufus Sewell since the first time took note of him in Dark City!!

While I may not want to watch someone completely hideous and "boiled" for 8 hours. It just seems like it would make more sense to take an excellent actress with a more average look and then add scars and whatnot to make her into Reagan. NRH mentioned Kathy Bates in a different context, but I could totally see someone like her taking on this role. Oh well, I'm certainly not going to let a pretty actress ruin my enjoyment of this series!!

Thx for the recommendations Critical. I'm going to look into them!

CCL

So Jennifer Lawrence has been cast as Katniss in the Hunger Games movie. Not sure- my main objection is that she looks too healthy with her beautiful round face and gorgeous body. Certainly not like a half-starved denizen of District 13. But the clips of her I saw from Winter's Bone makes me think she has the internal grit to pull it off. And she was better than some of the other candidates. So...a mixed view.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Personally I don't think a movie can ever live up to a book..if it did the movie would probably have to be 4-6 hours long

the only book that comes to mind that IMO the fantasy of it that was created on the screen was "The Wizard of OZ"

but most books that they make into movies leaves you disappointed
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

+ Reply to Thread