+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

Re: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3467526;
    Just saw the trailer for Guy Ritchie's latest movie "Sherlock Homes" starring Robert Downey JR and WOW !!!

They went back to Doyle's books, and created a realistic Homes instead of copycatting Basil Rathbone's portrayal. I am excited and can't wait for it's release!
    Saw the trailer for this movie this weekend and it looks like a must see. I didn't even realize it was Robert Downey Jr until the very last scene.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I just finished reading The Reader and I watched the movie version with Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes this past weekend.
    WARNING: This may contain more info than you want to read if you have not seen the film or read the book!

I thought the way they framed the movie as the man looking back to the past worked, however I thought most of the changes for the film "softened" the story too much. The character of Hannah was almost sympathetic in the movie, and I really didn't think that she should have been viewed sympathetically at all. The extremes she went to in order to hide her secret were deplorable and the negative impact she had on Michael's life did not come across well in the film. Especially with the fact that he was telling his daughter about it at the end like it was some romantic story from his past that he wanted to share with her! Although the actor playing young Michael was clearly older than 15, the nude scenes where he was playing a boy this age still creeped me out.

The book is told from Michael's perspective and this gives us some insight into how he was feeling at different stages in his life. This gives the reader a better perspective on how dysfunctional the relationship between Michael and Hannah was and how emotionally manipulative she was with him. The film seemed to portray it as a sad love story. Although the viewer could "do the math" by the middle of the film, I did not think it really made clear to the viewer the disturbing fact that when the relationship started Michael was 15 and Hannah was 36! As the mother of boys this age, I found it very hard to get past this fact. As I read the book, I was trying to figure out if the author was trying to portray Hannah as a terrible woman or a sympathetic character, but by the end I realized that the entire point of the story was that this dichotomy was the problem facing Michael. He was trying to reconcile his positive memories of this woman with the horrible things she had done and how he was caught up in her negative actions.

Although the actors in the movie did a fine job in their roles, I thought the book did a MUCH better job portraying this story than the film.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2742944;
    The absolute worst I've ever seen: The Door In The Floor, which was an adaptation of John Irving's fabulous novel A Widow For One Year. The movie only covered the first half of the story, which seemed incredibly stupid to me. I loved the book, and the film was a huge letdown for me.
    Wow, talk about a bump!

AJane - when I saw Irving speak in October, he talked about The Door in the Floor. He was actually very complimentary about the movie (which I haven't seen - it's in my Netflix queue). The screenwriter approached him asking to adapt the novel and Irving (thinking he'd deter the guy from continuing) said he'd consider it only if the writer could show him how he'd end the movie, because they'd both agreed a movie couldn't be done of the whole book. He wanted a whole outline of the script before he'd sell. The writer had already done it before he even talked to Irving. I think he said he sold the rights to the guy for $1.

A few weeks ago, I got Lost in Austen from Netflix. I thought it was a theatrical release, but it was actually a TV series in Britain. The premise is this: a modern-day woman, Amanda, who is obsessed with Pride and Prejudice and fed up with her crummy boyfriend and the lack of, well, civility in modern society, finds a portal in her bathroom that leads into the Bennet household. Elizabeth Bennet comes through the portal and ends up in Amanda's bathtub! The two women trade places, unintentionally, and Amanda finds herself in the middle of her favorite novel. Things go horribly awry - people fall in love with/marry the "wrong" people and Amanda finds herself falling in love with (who else?) Mr. Darcy. Plus, Wickham may not be the baddie we've been led to believe. The actor who plays Darcy is a total dish and the casting the pretty good, overall. I particularly liked the actor who played Mr. Bennet.

So, for the Austen fan who isn't a complete purist, this one was lots of fun!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3765584;
    A few weeks ago, I got Lost in Austen from Netflix. I thought it was a theatrical release, but it was actually a TV series in Britain. The premise is this: a modern-day woman, Amanda, who is obsessed with Pride and Prejudice and fed up with her crummy boyfriend and the lack of, well, civility in modern society, finds a portal in her bathroom that leads into the Bennet household. Elizabeth Bennet comes through the portal and ends up in Amanda's bathtub! The two women trade places, unintentionally, and Amanda finds herself in the middle of her favorite novel. Things go horribly awry - people fall in love with/marry the "wrong" people and Amanda finds herself falling in love with (who else?) Mr. Darcy. Plus, Wickham may not be the baddie we've been led to believe. The actor who plays Darcy is a total dish and the casting the pretty good, overall. I particularly liked the actor who played Mr. Bennet.

So, for the Austen fan who isn't a complete purist, this one was lots of fun!
    Sounds a lot like the book by Laurie Viera Rigler, "Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict" (told through the perspective of the modern girl "Courtney" in the book). Where they do a switcheroo also, but by the end of the book, each girl has returned to her correct time period.
    The book was released in 2007, when was the series made?

I've yet to read the sequel, which is told from the "Jane Austin type character's" perspective. Have you read either book? Which would be her adventures in the modern world.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3766248;
    Sounds a lot like the book by Laurie Viera Rigler, "Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict" (told through the perspective of the modern girl "Courtney" in the book). Where they do a switcheroo also, but by the end of the book, each girl has returned to her correct time period.
    The book was released in 2007, when was the series made?

I've yet to read the sequel, which is told from the "Jane Austin type character's" perspective. Have you read either book? Which would be her adventures in the modern world.
    I haven't heard of those books, Mike'sgirl. Lost in Austen was done in 2008, but I didn't see any reference to the book you mentioned in any of the stuff I read about it. There must be more than one gal out there fantasizing about trading places with Lizzie Bennet! I just looked on Netflix and it's also available to play on your computer, in case any Netflix subscribers want to see it and don't want to wait
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I watched Lost in Austen this weekend, what an adorable story! All the actors and actresses were so pretty, and the plot was cute, too. I would recommend it for any Jane Austen fan.

Critical - you have me hopelessly addicted to this show (Lost in Austen). I love watching it!
    When Ms Price started singing "Downtown" in the 2nd episode I couldn't stop laughing! I also agree with Trixie, the actors chosen for their roles are all very charming.

Great find! Thanks for sharing!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3769650;
    Critical - you have me hopelessly addicted to this show (Lost in Austen). I love watching it!
    When Ms Price started singing "Downtown" in the 2nd episode I couldn't stop laughing! I also agree with Trixie, the actors chosen for their roles are all very charming.

Great find! Thanks for sharing!
    Glad you liked it! When I first got the DVD and saw that it was 3 hours long, I was like "What the hell?" because I didn't realize it was a TV series. I thought it was very cute and, once I got over Amanda's hair not being adapted to the styles of the day, I was fine.

I really loved the actor playing Mr. Bennett. He's probably my favorite of all the Mr. Bennett's and that's saying a lot. I LOVED the part where Amanda makes Darcy come out of the pond a la Colin Firth and comments on having a post-modern moment. Hilarious! 'Cause, you know, if you had Mr. Darcy right there, wouldn't you make him do that too?

I've been on a major Jane Austen kick the last 3 weeks due in large part to the earlier on this this thread. I'm currently watching Keira Knightly play Lizzy Bennett, and I have to say it's just not working for me. She's too 'cutsy' for the part! Lizzy admonished Kitty and Lydia all the time for running around and giggling, and then she's doing the same thing at the Netherfield ball? Her wrinkled nose and giggles are just really bugging me. I think I've been so spoiled by Jennifer Ehle in the role, I can't see anyone else. Or maybe it's just feeling so rushed...I don't know, but I'm quite disappointed in the show so far.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3789238;
    I've been on a major Jane Austen kick the last 3 weeks due in large part to the earlier on this this thread. I'm currently watching Keira Knightly play Lizzy Bennett, and I have to say it's just not working for me. She's too 'cutsy' for the part! Lizzy admonished Kitty and Lydia all the time for running around and giggling, and then she's doing the same thing at the Netherfield ball? Her wrinkled nose and giggles are just really bugging me. I think I've been so spoiled by Jennifer Ehle in the role, I can't see anyone else. Or maybe it's just feeling so rushed...I don't know, but I'm quite disappointed in the show so far.
    I'm with you on the KK version. She is NOT Lizzie. It felt too much like they were putting on "The CW Presents Pride and Prejudice" to me. Jennifer Ehle is the best Elizabeth Bennett and Colin Firth is the only Mr. Darcy. They were in the spirit of the books and not in the spirit of Seventeen Magazine....or Tiger Beat

+ Reply to Thread