+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

Re: Books into Movies: Opinions, Reviews, Dsappointments and Vctories

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3230494;
    After seeing some of the "adaptions" I stick strictly to the books. I've heard that TrueBlood was pretty good though.
    I agree, it is one of the few times I have enjoyed an adaptation. However, the first book is small and the series is what - 18hours? They had plenty of time to keep everything essential and write a lot of filler to broaden characterization.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Did anyone catch the first part of the new Wuthering Heights on Masterpiece yesterday? I have always hated WH, but I felt I needed to watch this anyway. As per usual I loathed all the characters except Isabella, and I couldn't get on board with the story. But I think the girl playing Cathy is playing her really well. Can't say the same for Heathcliff; he seems like a drip in this version which is very un-Heathcliff. But I'm curious of what people who like WH thought about this version so far.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister;3282724;
    Did anyone catch the first part of the new Wuthering Heights on Masterpiece yesterday? I have always hated WH, but I felt I needed to watch this anyway. As per usual I loathed all the characters except Isabella, and I couldn't get on board with the story. But I think the girl playing Cathy is playing her really well. Can't say the same for Heathcliff; he seems like a drip in this version which is very un-Heathcliff. But I'm curious of what people who like WH thought about this version so far.
    I saw this on Materpiece and have to agree with you. I was never a big fan of WH; but watched anyways. I felt like Heathcliff wasn't Heathcliff. I kept having to remind myself who he was while watching. I was a little disappointed.

In general, when it comes to books into movies, I prefer the book. This is because there is more information in book, which just makes it better and either has to be cut due to length of a movie or just doesn't transition well on screen. However, in book series' that become movies (ie Harry Potter) I view the books and movies and 2 separate series. When watching a Harry Potter movie, I know that they can't fit everything in and don't expect them too. It's the same with the 2 Narnia movies that have come out. It makes me way less disappointed when I see the movie and allows me to appreciate the movie on its own merit.

FORT Fogey

This thread reminded me that the best (and most literal) adaption of a book to the screen for me was the Granada TV production of Brideshead Revisited in 1981.

Unlike the recent film version, the TV series pretty much lifted the entire novel and put it up on screen, idiosycracies and all. As in the book, the story was narrated by Charles Ryder, the central character looking back on his history with the Marchmain family. So virtually all of his narration is Evelyn Waugh word for word. And when you come down to it, Waugh was a pretty sharp writer of dialog, so it all worked out.

FORT Newbie

Adaptations are an interesting thing. There are so many books and plays out there with the potential to be amazing films or TV shows if given the right artistic team. It's often very difficult to get the tone and characterisation right on screen though. There's always the problem with casting a character too, you can never satisfy all the fans. I also think a lot of books should be left alone. Love In The Time of Cholera was an amazing story with beautiful language and some great characters. But the couple at the centre of the story didn't work at all on screen, it just emphasised the sheer creepiness of the relationship and the many beautiful passages just fell flat. Stephen King is very hit and miss for adaptations, his non horror stories work a lot better but they're never pure adaptations of his work which is probably a good thing. My favourite adaptation (and favourite movie of all time) is Amadeus. It isn't exactly like Peter Schaffer's play, but it nailed the central theme and it was a beautiful film with perfectly cast leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora Box;3425617;
    Adaptations are an interesting thing. There are so many books and plays out there with the potential to be amazing films or TV shows if given the right artistic team. It's often very difficult to get the tone and characterisation right on screen though. There's always the problem with casting a character too, you can never satisfy all the fans. I also think a lot of books should be left alone. Love In The Time of Cholera was an amazing story with beautiful language and some great characters. But the couple at the centre of the story didn't work at all on screen, it just emphasised the sheer creepiness of the relationship and the many beautiful passages just fell flat. Stephen King is very hit and miss for adaptations, his non horror stories work a lot better but they're never pure adaptations of his work which is probably a good thing. My favourite adaptation (and favourite movie of all time) is Amadeus. It isn't exactly like Peter Schaffer's play, but it nailed the central theme and it was a beautiful film with perfectly cast leads.

Seconded (the bold)! I loved the book and the movie killed it. It was just flat.

I am looking forward to the Vampire Diaries on CW come fall 2009. I haven't read the books just a quick synopsis but it sounds interesting. Anyone read the books?

What about the "House of Night" series by PC Cast and Kristin Cast. I am on book 2 and I can see it being a great TV series.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3429803;
    I am looking forward to the Vampire Diaries on CW come fall 2009. I haven't read the books just a quick synopsis but it sounds interesting. Anyone read the books?

What about the "House of Night" series by PC Cast and Kristin Cast. I am on book 2 and I can see it being a great TV series.
    I have "almost" bought this series several times, but then realize that I still have a huge stack to get through and pass, perhaps I will move them higher on my list - thanks! I always like reading the books before they are made into movies....... I like the hidden details provided in the books to get a full feeling of where the author is heading, before it translates to film.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Just saw the trailer for Guy Ritchie's latest movie "Sherlock Homes" starring Robert Downey JR and WOW !!!

They went back to Doyle's books, and created a realistic Homes instead of copycatting Basil Rathbone's portrayal. I am excited and can't wait for it's release!
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread